Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO

In summary: Then ##E_0 = H \lvert \alpha \rangle##.In summary, the problem involves evaluating the Hamiltonian on the state |α>, which is a coherent state of the displaced harmonic oscillator. This can be done by finding the energy of the ground state of the displaced harmonic oscillator and then using the property that H|α> = E0|α>. It is also possible to find the ground state of the displaced harmonic oscillator using the coherent state property |α> = a|α> = E0|α>, but this goes beyond the scope of the problem. It may be helpful to clarify the relationship between α and |α> for further understanding.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
For α = f/(ω√2mћω), evaluate H|α> for H = p^2/2m + mω^2x^2/2 - fx, which is the Hamiltonian of a displaced Harmonic Oscillator under a constant force f. Is this |α> the ground state of this displaced simple harmonic oscillator?
Relevant Equations
H|α> = En|α> = (n + 1/2)ћω |α>
Capture.PNG

I am getting that we have to operate the given Hamiltonian on the given state |α>. But what is confusing me is that since this H contains position and momentum operators which just involve variable x and partial derivative, how do I operate this H on the given α, since it seems like α is essentially a constant quantity? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
Homework Statement:: For α = f/(ω√2mћω), evaluate H|α> for H = p^2/2m + mω^2x^2/2 - fx, which is the Hamiltonian of a displaced Harmonic Oscillator under a constant force f. Is this |α> the ground state of this displaced simple harmonic oscillator?
Relevant Equations:: H|α> = En|α> = (n + 1/2)ћω |α>

View attachment 280440

I am getting that we have to operate the given Hamiltonian on the given state |α>. But what is confusing me is that since this H contains position and momentum operators which just involve variable x and partial derivative, how do I operate this H on the given α, since it seems like α is essentially a constant quantity? Please help!

Have you been through the exercise of defining the "raising and lowering" operators for the harmonic oscillator? If so, then you should know that ##x## and ##p## can be expressed as linear combinations of the raising and lowering operators.

Alternatively, if you solve the harmonic oscillator in position space, then you should know that the state satisfying ##H |a\rangle = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega |a \rangle## can be expressed in the position basis as a function of ##x##. That's a lot more complicated way to go, so I'm assuming that you are using the raising and lowering operators...

Likes tanaygupta2000
stevendaryl said:
Have you been through the exercise of defining the "raising and lowering" operators for the harmonic oscillator? If so, then you should know that ##x## and ##p## can be expressed as linear combinations of the raising and lowering operators.

Alternatively, if you solve the harmonic oscillator in position space, then you should know that the state satisfying ##H |a\rangle = (n+1/2)\hbar \omega |a \rangle## can be expressed in the position basis as a function of ##x##. That's a lot more complicated way to go, so I'm assuming that you are using the raising and lowering operators...
Yes, sir! I am very much familiar with the representation of position and momentum operators in terms of raising and lowering operators:
x = √(hbar/2mw) (a' + a)
p = i√(mhw/2) (a' - a)

where x and p are position and momentum operators and a and a' are creation and annihilation operators.

But I think a and a' only act on |n>.
Or should I use this property for coherent states:
a|α> = α|α>
<α|a' = α*<α|

Please help!

tanaygupta2000 said:
But I think a and a' only act on |n>.
Or should I use this property for coherent states:
a|α> = α|α>
<α|a' = α*<α|

##|a\rangle## is the state ##|n\rangle##. It's not a coherent state. Your "relevant equation" says:

##H |a\rangle = (n+1/2) \hbar \omega |a\rangle##

There is some confusion here, because you're using the same symbol, ##H## to mean both the original hamiltonian and the "displaced" hamiltonian. What I assumed that the problem was asking for was

Let ##H_0 = p^2/2m + m \omega^2/2 x^2##.
Let ##|n\rangle## be a state such that ##H_0 |n\rangle = (n+1/2) \hbar \omega |n\rangle##.
Let ##H = H_0 - fx##.

Then what is ##H |n\rangle## in terms of the original basis, ##|n\rangle##?

So under this interpretation of the question, ##H|n\rangle = ## some combination of states ##|0\rangle, |1\rangle, |2\rangle,...##

IMG_20210330_192651.jpg

I tried this way and got struck after this. Please guide.

I think that that’s as much as you can do. The ground state of the displaced Hamiltonian cannot be equal to ##|n\rangle##, since acting on it by the Hamiltonian mixes states of different ##|n\rangle##.

You could try to find the ground state of the displaced Hamiltonian, but that’s going beyond what the problem asked for.

Likes tanaygupta2000
Thank You so much for your help.

tanaygupta2000 said:
I had the same question when I read the problem statement. What is the relationship between ##\alpha## and ##\lvert \alpha \rangle##? Have you asked your instructor for clarification?

I think your interpretation that the question is about coherent states of the harmonic oscillator may be correct. In that case, the state ##\lvert \alpha \rangle## satisfies ##\hat a \lvert \alpha \rangle = \alpha \lvert \alpha \rangle##. You can find ##E_0##, the energy of the ground state of the displaced harmonic oscillator, by completing the square in the Hamiltonian.

Last edited:

1. What is a Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO?

The Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO refers to the mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO) that has been displaced from its equilibrium position. It takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of the oscillator.

2. How is the Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO different from a regular QHO?

The Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO differs from a regular QHO in that it includes an additional term that accounts for the displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position. This displacement term affects the potential energy of the oscillator and therefore changes the overall energy of the system.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO?

The Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a quantum harmonic oscillator that has been displaced from its equilibrium position. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has many applications in various fields of physics.

4. How is the Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO used in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO is used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of a displaced QHO. It is also used to study the dynamics of the oscillator and its interactions with other quantum systems.

5. Can the Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO be applied to other systems?

Yes, the Hamiltonian of a displaced QHO can be applied to other systems that exhibit harmonic motion, such as molecular vibrations and electromagnetic waves. It can also be extended to include more complex interactions and potentials, making it a versatile tool in quantum mechanics.