Hamming Code: Need Help Fixing Mistakes? Get Expert Assistance Here!

• MHB
  • Thread starter gEOdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Type
In summary, during the conversation the person is seeking help with fixing mistakes in their attempt at checking parity. It is determined that at least 1 bit has been flipped and there may be more than one incorrect bit. They are unsure which specific bits are wrong and are asking for hints to figure it out.
gEOdude
Hey guys I've attampted to do this as best I can but i need some help, becasue i know there are mistakes i have to fix.

View attachment 4321

Attachments

• my attempt-small.jpg
    my attempt-small.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 42
Technology news on Phys.org
HELPMEHELPME said:
Hey guys I've attampted to do this as best I can but i need some help, becasue i know there are mistakes i have to fix.

Hi HELPMEHELPME! :)

Checking the parity means that there should be an even number of 1's for each parity bit.
For P4 there are 3 bits that are 1, meaning that it has incorrect parity (instead of correct parity).

As a result, there is 1 bit wrong in the section 4,5,6,7 (P3), and there is also 1 bit wrong in section 8,9,10,11 (P4).
What might you conclude from that?

I like Serena said:
Hi HELPMEHELPME! :)

Checking the parity means that there should be an even number of 1's for each parity bit.
For P4 there are 3 bits that are 1, meaning that it has incorrect parity (instead of correct parity).

As a result, there is 1 bit wrong in the section 4,5,6,7 (P3), and there is also 1 bit wrong in section 8,9,10,11 (P4).
What might you conclude from that?

Is this better? Or is is two bits that had to be corrected? Thanks. View attachment 4323

Attachments

• my attempt-small.jpg
    my attempt-small.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 40
  • my attempt-small.correct-small.jpg
    my attempt-small.correct-small.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
Is this better?

That fixes the mistakes in the correct/incorrect parities.
Good! :)

However, since we see that some of the parities are incorrect, we know that at least 1 bit has been flipped...

I like Serena said:
That fixes the mistakes in the correct/incorrect parities.
Good! :)

However, since we see that some of the parities are incorrect, we know that at least 1 bit has been flipped...

Could you give me a hint, on what i should do. Which bit to flip? I thinks its one of more of 5 or 7 or 9 or 11 or is it another one ? I'm so close i just need a little push.

Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
Could you give me a hint, on what i should do. Which bit to flip? I thinks its one of more of 5 or 7 or 9 or 11 or is it another one ?

Indeed, one of those must be wrong.

More specifically, from P3 we can tell there is a bit wrong in the section 4,5,6,7.
And from P4 we can tell there is a bit wrong in section 8,9,10,11, which must necessarily be a different bit, since they don't overlap.
What might we conclude from that?

I like Serena said:
Indeed, one of those must be wrong.

More specifically, from P3 we can tell there is a bit wrong in the section 4,5,6,7.
And from P4 we can tell there is a bit wrong in section 8,9,10,11, which must necessarily be a different bit, since they don't overlap.
What might we conclude from that?

There not all wrong are they? (Thinking) is it 5? PRETTY PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW IM GOING NUTS!

Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
There not all wrong are they? (Thinking) is it 5? PRETTY PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW IM GOING NUTS!

We can tell there are at least 2 bits wrong. We have insufficient information to tell which ones exactly.

Related to Hamming Code: Need Help Fixing Mistakes? Get Expert Assistance Here!

1. What is a Hamming Code?

A Hamming Code is a type of error-correcting code used in computer science and telecommunications to detect and correct errors that may occur during transmission or storage of data.

2. How does a Hamming Code work?

A Hamming Code works by adding extra bits to a data stream based on a specific algorithm. These extra bits act as parity bits, allowing the code to detect and correct errors that may have occurred during transmission.

3. When should I use a Hamming Code?

A Hamming Code is typically used when transmitting or storing important data that cannot afford to have any errors. It is commonly used in communication systems, such as satellite and wireless communication, as well as in computer memory systems.

4. What is the advantage of using a Hamming Code?

The advantage of using a Hamming Code is that it can detect and correct errors in a data stream, increasing the reliability and accuracy of data transmission and storage. It is also relatively simple and efficient to implement.

5. Can a Hamming Code correct all types of errors?

No, a Hamming Code is designed to correct single-bit errors, meaning it can only correct errors where one bit in the data stream has been changed. It cannot correct multiple-bit errors or detect errors in the parity bits themselves.