Handbook describing the various types of neurons in rat’s brain

In summary: There are a few different types of neurons in the nucleus accumbens, but they are all GABAergic. Pyramidal neurons, Betz neurons, and Basket neurons are all types of GABAergic neurons. There are approximately 200 million neurons in the nucleus accumbens, and they are all GABAergic.
Eagle9
Good day guys!

I am looking for the handbook describing the various types of neurons in rat’s brain. Have you got something like this? I tried to find in google this information with these key words:

nissl stain rat brain Accumbens neurons types

and

number of neurons in rat brain

and

handbook of neurobiology rat number of neurons accumbens

but a huge amount of papers appeared and almost none of them contained what I need. Can you help me? :smile:

Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
Eagle9 said:
but a huge amount of papers appeared and almost none of them contained what I need. Can you help me?

What is it that you need? You need to be more specific. The "various types of neurons in rat’s brain" is a pretty general statement and can be found in almost any resource you can find in a library and/or online. If you're looking for some more specific information about the nucleus accumbens, as is alluded to by the bolded text in your post, then you need to be more specific in your question.

DiracPool said:
What is it that you need? You need to be more specific. The "various types of neurons in rat’s brain" is a pretty general statement and can be found in almost any resource you can find in a library and/or online. If you're looking for some more specific information about the nucleus accumbens, as is alluded to by the bolded text in your post, then you need to be more specific in your question.
Ok, I will specify :smile:

As known the neurons differ from each other by their morphological indicators, by various –ergic types and etc. I am looking for their difference from their morphological point of view, are there any Pyramidal neurons, Betz neurons, Basket neurons in nucleus accumbens (and/or in Amygdala)? Also I need to know their sizes :cool:

Eagle9 said:
number of neurons in rat brain

About 200 million neurons. See table 1: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567708/

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of_neurons
Eagle9 said:
I am looking for their difference from their morphological point of view, are there any Pyramidal neurons, Betz neurons, Basket neurons in nucleus accumbens

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/368279
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleus_accumbens:

"Approximately 95% of neurons in the NAcc are GABAergic medium spiny neurons (MSNs) which primarily express either D1-type or D2-type receptors;[12] about 1–2% of the remaining neuronal types are large aspiny cholinergicinterneurons and another 1–2% are GABAergic interneurons.[12] Compared to the GABAergic MSNs in the shell, those in the core have an increased density of dendritic spines, branch segments, and terminal segments. From the core, the neurons project to other sub-cortical areas such as theglobus pallidus and the substantia nigra. GABA is one of the main neurotransmitters in the NAcc, and GABA receptors are also abundant.[19][21] These neurons are also the main projection or output neurons of the nucleus accumbens."

Last edited:
Likes atyy

1. What is the purpose of a handbook describing the various types of neurons in a rat's brain?

The purpose of this handbook is to provide a comprehensive overview of the different types of neurons found in a rat's brain, including their structure, function, and connections. It serves as a valuable resource for researchers and students studying the brain and its functions.

2. How many types of neurons are typically found in a rat's brain?

There are thousands of different types of neurons in a rat's brain, each with unique characteristics and functions. This handbook aims to categorize and describe the most commonly studied types of neurons in order to provide a better understanding of the brain's complexity.

3. What are the major differences between the various types of neurons in a rat's brain?

The major differences between neurons in a rat's brain include their shape, size, and the neurotransmitters they produce. Additionally, different types of neurons have unique connections and functions within the brain, allowing for specialized roles in processing information and controlling bodily functions.

4. How are the different types of neurons in a rat's brain classified?

Neurons in a rat's brain are typically classified based on their shape and structure, such as pyramidal cells, stellate cells, and granule cells. They can also be categorized based on their function, such as sensory neurons, motor neurons, and interneurons.

5. How can an understanding of the various types of neurons in a rat's brain contribute to scientific research?

Studying the different types of neurons in a rat's brain can provide valuable insights into how the brain functions and how different behaviors and functions are controlled. This information can help researchers better understand neurological disorders and develop potential treatments and therapies.