Handlin Home Work In a Printed Form

In summary, Fresh undergraduate student is looking for a way to handle all their homework quickly and correctly. They have tried Open Office and MathType, but found them slow and not correctly displaying formulas. They have also tried LyX, but found it difficult to learn and not as useful as LaTeX. They have tried Windows and found it to be the best solution. LaTeX may take some time to learn, but it is the best option for a properly formatted homework assignment.
Alkhimey
Hi,

I am fresh undergrad student.
I have decided to handle all my homework in a printed form, this saves time and allows me to correct stupid mistakes without the need to re write whole pages.

I have tried several solutions, but none suits me best:

Open Office's math is too slow and as far as I know does not have shortcuts).
Open Office with MathType as OLE object. Fast an easy (MathType has the best UI in my opinion), but does not display the formulas correctly (after closing the edit window), and moving to another computers (even in a pdf form) makes a greater mess.
Lyx. Problematic with "right to left" languages. Math editor is not simple, as far as I know does not contain shortcuts. Needs time to get used to.

I am using Windows.

I would be very delighted to hear about any suggestions regarding the issue.

Thank you.

(If this is a wrong forum, please excuse me)

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I think that TeXnicCenter with MikteX would give you a very nice result since you can use Latex and save file in PDF. But it won't be as fast as you expect. Are you accustomed to write in Latex?

I'm not so sure this will save time.

I'm also not sure this will teach you not to make "stupid mistakes" - which is part of your education. While I am sympathetic to the idea that you shouldn't take too many points off for a slip-up, it's also true that there are teeming hoardes of students out there who never seem to be able to get a correct answer. They hand in a veritable parade of close-but-wrong answers, content to get most of the partial credit.

Finally, I would also recommend LaTeX. It will be more useful throughout your career than other options, and you won't be fighting it to get it to do something too complex for the other choices. It may take longer to learn at first, but the time saved in not trying to write workarounds will make up for it.

I agree with fluidistic and Vanadium. LaTeX is the best choice, though it may take you some time to learn. If you have the time to learn, I'd recommend it. It's not that difficult to learn the basics, and that would probably be enough for your homework.

Download Texnic Center with Miktex. There should be instructions on the Texnic center website (which happens to be down at the moment).

Play around with it, looking at online manuals and see what it can do.

Some good links:
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:About
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

Last edited by a moderator:
I never met a professor who would take off points for having a corrected and identified mistake on homework.

A single, straight, dark line through any mistake should suffice. Why complicate things?

LaTeX (as someone posted, TexnicCenter with MikTeX is AWESOME) does great for math work. I'm not familiar with LyX, but when I went looking for a Latex solution, TeXnicCenter and MikTeX were suggested by many.

An alternative might be to do your work on a tablet PC. Benefits of handwriting for diagrams and formulae, handwriting recognition, and you can flip it and type if you need to.

What is the purpose of handling homework in a printed form?

The purpose of handling homework in a printed form is to provide a physical copy of the assignment for students to work on. This can also serve as a backup if there are any technical issues with online submissions.

How do students benefit from handling homework in a printed form?

Students benefit from handling homework in a printed form because it allows them to physically see and interact with the assignment. This can help with comprehension and retention of the material.

What are the potential drawbacks of handling homework in a printed form?

Potential drawbacks of handling homework in a printed form include the risk of losing or damaging the physical copy, and the inconvenience of having to carry it around. It also may not be as environmentally friendly as electronic submissions.

Is handling homework in a printed form still relevant in a digital age?

Yes, handling homework in a printed form is still relevant in a digital age. Not all students have access to technology or the internet at home, and some may prefer working with a physical copy. It also allows for handwritten work and diagrams, which may be necessary for certain subjects.

How can teachers effectively manage and grade printed homework assignments?

Teachers can effectively manage and grade printed homework assignments by setting clear guidelines and expectations, providing timely feedback, and organizing assignments in a systematic way. They can also consider using online grading tools or creating rubrics for consistent and efficient grading.