Hard decision - Seeking advice on two Distance Learning programs

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing an undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics through distance learning programs from Open University and UNISA. They have a medical background and are unsure which program would be better suited for their goals. The UNISA program seems more comprehensive, but the OU program has fewer exams. The speaker is also considering hiring a tutor or mentor to supplement their learning. They are seeking advice on which program to choose and are interested in alternatives.
ChristianL
Hi professionals,

I have a medical background, and I would like to pursue an undergraduate degree in mathematics & physics, and I found two distance learning programs from OU
(http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q77)

and UNISA
(http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificatio...ficationsreg/UGH/Qualifications/98801MAP.html)

They are both nice DL programs. The UNISA curriculum looks more comprehensive, and they do provide practical sessions. Whereas, the OU one shows a more general information on the topics, and I believe there are no practical works involved. Both of them are online programs suitable for my life.

HOWEVER,

The OU gives less examinations (1st year: 3 subjects, 2nd year: 2 subjects & final year: 4 subjects) compared to UNISA (30 subjects). Hence, I am not sure if OU degree can encompass adequate topics required for graduate education in the US (in this case I will participate in the labs provided at other institutions). Of course, I prefer less examinations, and I would choose OU if someone can confirm that their program is good enough with fully-covered topics in physics and mathematics. Besides, these programs are very good in terms of tuition.

If you were me, what would you do? Or please give me some alternatives.

Cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your question. Since you already have a medical background, it is important to consider the purpose of your degree. Are you using it to supplement your medical knowledge, or are you hoping to pursue a career in physics and mathematics? Depending on your goal, one program might be better suited than another. Given that both programs offer distance learning options, you may want to look into which institutions have partnerships with each program. For example, if the OU program has partnerships with US universities, then there is a good chance that they will recognize the credits earned through the school. This may make it easier for you to find lab opportunities in the US.You may also want to look into hiring a tutor or mentor to help you gain more in-depth knowledge in the areas of physics and mathematics. This would give you the opportunity to ask questions and receive personalized feedback on your coursework. Additionally, if you choose to pursue a career related to these fields, it could be beneficial to have a mentor who can provide guidance and advice. Overall, it is important to consider the amount of work required for each program and how it aligns with your goals. Good luck!

What are the two Distance Learning programs I am considering?

The two Distance Learning programs you are considering are the University of Phoenix Online and the Harvard Extension School.

What are the key differences between the University of Phoenix Online and the Harvard Extension School?

The University of Phoenix Online is a for-profit institution that focuses on career-oriented programs. The Harvard Extension School, on the other hand, is a non-profit institution that offers a wide range of academic courses and certificates. Additionally, the University of Phoenix Online offers primarily online courses, while the Harvard Extension School offers a mix of online and on-campus courses.

What are the admission requirements for these Distance Learning programs?

The admission requirements for the University of Phoenix Online include a high school diploma or equivalent, a minimum GPA of 2.0, and completion of an enrollment agreement. The admission requirements for the Harvard Extension School vary depending on the program, but generally include a high school diploma or equivalent, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

What is the cost of these Distance Learning programs?

The University of Phoenix Online has a higher tuition cost compared to the Harvard Extension School. The exact cost will depend on the program and number of credits taken, but on average, the University of Phoenix Online is around $15,000 per year while the Harvard Extension School is around $10,000 per year.

What are the job prospects for graduates of these Distance Learning programs?

The job prospects for graduates of these Distance Learning programs will depend on the specific program and industry. Generally, both the University of Phoenix Online and the Harvard Extension School have a good reputation and can provide opportunities for career advancement. It is important to research the job market for your specific field of study before making a decision.