Hard thermodynamics high school question from an entrance exam in India for colleges

In summary: V## is a function of ##\delta r##.Or a typo@Delta2I believe ##\gamma## would feature in the expression for X.
bhupesh
Homework Statement
A spherical bubble inside water has radius 𝑅. Take the pressure inside the bubble and the water pressure to be 𝑝0. The bubble now gets compressed radially in an adiabatic manner so that its radius becomes (𝑅 − 𝑎). For 𝑎 ≪ 𝑅 the magnitude of the work done in the process is given by (4𝜋𝑝0𝑅𝑎2 )𝑋, where 𝑋 is a constant and 𝛾 = 𝐶𝑝⁄𝐶𝑉 = 41⁄30. The value of 𝑋 is ____
Relevant Equations
work done in a process=external pressure*change in volume
First law of thermodynamics, dX signifies change in X,
dQ=dU+dW
Q=heat energy
U=internal energy
W=work done
for any process, dU=n*Cv*dT
T=temperature of system,n=number of moles of gas undergoing the process
Cv=molar heat capacity at constant volume
Cp=molar heat capacity at constant pressure
as the process has been given as an adiabatic one, dQ=0, further attempt is given in the attached files, but the problem is I got X=1 while the official key states it to be X=2.05, could anyone explain why

Attachments

• SidewaysAgain01.jpg
    SidewaysAgain01.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 148
  • SidewaysAgain02.jpg
    SidewaysAgain02.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 133
Physics news on Phys.org
I have also got a solution given on the internet that I am not able to comprehend, anyone wants it??

bhupesh said:
I have also got a solution given on the internet that I am not able to comprehend, anyone wants it??
Bro this is literally from JEE adv 2020 (I even appeared in that paper), you can find thousands of explanations online!

for example, here's one

kshitij said:
Bro this is literally from JEE adv 2020 (I even appeared in that paper), you can find thousands of explanations online!

for example, here's one
I couldn't understand thatt solution and why my solution is wrong, i have written that in the question
clearly

bhupesh said:
I couldn't understand thatt solution and why my solution is wrong, i have written that in the question
clearly
What you couldn't understand in that solution? Also I didn't go through your solution well enough to comment on that.

kshitij said:

for example, here's one
could you also share how was your experience of that particular exam

kshitij said:
Also I didn't go through your solution well enough to comment on that.
I see that you didn't write ##dV=4\pi r^2a##, use this formula just as we used to do when we took the change in volume for of an elementary shell here, ##dr## can be written as ##a##

I am a scrub in thermodynamics, maybe @Chestermiller who is expert can have a look at this.

However the problem statement gives you the value of ##\gamma## (I believe that's the ##\phi## in your work) but you nowhere use the value of ##\phi ## in your work, because according to your work it gets simplified. Maybe that thing you do about keeping only the first term in the binomial expansion is wrong, maybe you got to look for another approximation.

My result for the work to compress the bubble adiabatically and reversibly is ##4\pi R^2 a p_0##, independent of ##\gamma##, exactly the same as yours. It seems to me your analysis is flawless.

Likes Twigg and Delta2
Chestermiller said:
My result for the work to compress the bubble adiabatically and reversibly is ##4\pi R^2 a p_0##, independent of ##\gamma##, exactly the same as yours. It seems to me your analysis is flawless.
I note that in post #1 the power of 2 is on a, not R. It also seems obvious that the adiabatic aspect would not affect the first order term.
This suggests to me that the original question says, or intended to say
"The work done is ##4\pi R^2 a p_0+4\pi R a ^2p_0X##."
I believe ##\gamma## would feature in the expression for X.

Likes Twigg, Delta2 and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
I note that in post #1 the power of 2 is on a, not R. It also seems obvious that the adiabatic aspect would not affect the first order term.
This suggests to me that the original question says, or intended to say
"The work done is ##4\pi R^2 a p_0+4\pi R a ^2p_0X##."
I believe ##\gamma## would feature in the expression for X.
What do you get for X when you do this? I get X = 1.05

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Hmm.. that suggests the author confused ##R^2a## with ##Ra^2## and added the terms together.

haruspex said:
It also seems obvious that the adiabatic aspect would not affect the first order term.
I would be very interesting to know how you come to this conclusion. Such is the case but how do you say that it is obvious.

Delta2 said:
I would be very interesting to know how you come to this conclusion. Such is the case but how do you say that it is obvious.
Because for a small displacement ##\delta r## the change in pressure will be of order o(1), e.g. proportional to ##\delta r##, so the work done will be like ##p_0(\delta r+o(\delta r))##, e.g. ##p_0(\delta r+O(\delta r^2))##.

haruspex said:
Because for a small displacement ##\delta r## the change in pressure will be of order o(1), e.g. proportional to ##\delta r##, so the work done will be like ##p_0(\delta r+o(\delta r))##, e.g. ##p_0(\delta r+O(\delta r^2))##.
Sorry I don't understand what you trying to say, I am abit confused about the big o small o notation and also pressure times displacement doesn't give us work, pressure times volume does.

haruspex said:
Hmm.. that suggests the author confused ##R^2a## with ##Ra^2## and added the terms together.
Or a typo

@Delta2 I think what's going on is that since this is adiabatic, ##pV^\gamma## is a constant, so ##\frac{dp}{p} = -\gamma \frac{dV}{V}##. Making a simple first order approximation, ##\frac{\Delta p}{p} = -\gamma \frac{\Delta V}{V}##, where ##\Delta## means finite difference as opposed to differentials. ##\Delta V## scales linearly with radial displacement ##\delta r##, so ##\Delta p## scales linearly with ##\delta r##. If you work it out, you get a pressure ##p## vs displacement ##\delta r## given by ##p\approx p_0 (1 + 3\gamma \frac{\delta r}{R})##. Since the term with ##\gamma## in it is small compared to 1, it vanishes at lowest order, and the work will just be ##W \approx p_0 \Delta V##, which is first order in ##a##, aka ##O(a^1)##. The variation in pressure becomes a second order term in a.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Chestermiller said:
I ended up with 2.05 (from ##\frac{3}{2} \gamma##), but I trust your work over mine

but the exam is such you can challenge a particular question for bonus if its a typo or its answer given is wrong, many challenged the answer as 2.05 but finally ans was not changed, it remained 2.05
I have a solution available on the internet that is doubtful to me and i have attached that, check question no. 13 in the pdf file

Attachments

• solution.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
Twigg said:
I ended up with 2.05 (from ##\frac{3}{2} \gamma##), but I trust your work over mine
I ended up with that minus 1

Chestermiller said:
but they have clearly mentioned that the whole process is adiabatic??

@bhupesh, I still agree with everyone else on the thread in saying that this problem is somewhere on the spectrum between poorly worded and dead wrong. In the solutions you posted, they define the average pressure as half the change in pressure. That makes no sense to me, unless there's a constraint force balancing p0, which is not at all stated explicitly in the problem. I got the same number as the solutions, but I would've challenged their answer too.

I'm sorry they weren't more open-minded in reviewing the challenges. That sucks :confused:

Edit: after re-reading the problem statement, they say explicitly that the pressure inside the bubble is p0, so there's no room for a constraint force balancing p0. They're just wrong.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes kshitij
hmm, thanks for helping

@bhupesh if you consider only the second order term in the binomial expansion what do you get that its coefficient is?

Twigg said:
My solution for the work done by the gas on the surroundings was $$W=p_0v_0\left[\frac{(1-x)^{3-3\gamma}-1)}{(1-\gamma)}\right]$$where x = a/R. If I expand this in a Taylor series in x, I get $$W=-p_0v_0\left(3x+(3\gamma-2)\frac{x^2}{2}\right)$$which leads to X=1.05.

The reason you ended up with 2.05 is that you left out the third term in the expansion of ##(R-a)^3##

• Informative
Likes Twigg
Delta2 said:
@bhupesh if you consider only the second order term in the binomial expansion what do you get that its coefficient is?
I am getting 1.05 with only second term included, neglecting the first term

@Chestermiller Oh! That makes sense, thanks! Looks like I should've expanded the volume change to 2nd order in a, and multiplied that by the 0th order in p.

Chestermiller said:
My solution for the work done by the gas on the surroundings was $$W=p_0v_0\left[\frac{(1-x)^{3-3\gamma}-1)}{(1-\gamma)}\right]$$where x = a/R. If I expand this in a Taylor series in x, I get $$W=-p_0v_0\left(3x+(3\gamma-2)\frac{x^2}{2}\right)$$which leads to X=1.05.

The reason you ended up with 2.05 is that you left out the third term in the expansion of ##(R-a)^3##
why are we adding these terms when a is a infinitesimal quantity

bhupesh said:
We are treating a as a small but finite quantity, not an infinitesimal.

Twigg said:
We are treating a as a small but finite quantity, not an infinitesimal.
then also we cannot add them and write X=1+1.05, it would be X=(1/a )+ 1.05

Sorry, you lost me on this. I think we're talking about different things. X can't be 1/a + 1.05 because 1/a has units of inverse meters?

The sum of the coefficients of the first and second term is 2.05, but yes we can't add the coefficients together, they don't have common factor.

Likes Twigg
bhupesh said:
We are expanding the exact expression for the work in a Taylor series to 2nd order terms in a/R. So the result is not exact; we are retaining only the first 3 terms of the expansion.

Likes Delta2

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and work, and their interconversion in various systems.

What is the difference between hard and soft thermodynamics?

Hard thermodynamics refers to the classical thermodynamic principles that are based on macroscopic observations and do not take into account the microscopic behavior of particles. Soft thermodynamics, on the other hand, incorporates statistical mechanics and considers the behavior of individual particles in a system.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of steps.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that increases as energy is transferred or converted, and it is related to the second law of thermodynamics.

How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical processes. It also helps in understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns and the behavior of stars and galaxies.