Harmonics and Integer Multiples

In summary, component harmonics occur at integer multiples of the fundamental frequency in any periodic waveform due to the relationship established by the Fourier series. This is because the periodicity of the waveform constrains which frequencies can be present, resulting in harmonics that are exact multiples of the fundamental frequency. This is applicable in various engineering fields, including vibrations, and can be explained by considering boundary conditions.
Becca7644

Homework Statement

[/B]
So, this is a question I have in one of my assignments and I'm really going round in circles with it. Any pointers or links to additional reading would be gratefully received! This is a pass criteria question on a General Engineering HNC.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Why do component harmonics occur at integer multiples of the fundamental frequency in any periodic waveform?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know my answer doesn't answer the question, but it's the best I can come up with ...

Component harmonics occur at integer multiples of the fundamental frequency as all harmonics associated with periodic waveforms have to be an exact multiple of the ground frequency, so that they start a new cycle when the fundamental starts a new cycle.

Analysing harmonics by calculating the magnitude and phases of the fundamental periodic waveform is known as the Fourier series. This allows us to establish the relationship between a function in the domain of time and a function in the domain of frequency. Fouriers theorem states the every non sinusoidal periodic wave can be decomposed as the sum of the sine wave through the application of the Fourier series.

I was then going to go on and talk about static waves.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is there a particular fundamental frequency to start with?

Likes Becca7644
DrClaude said:
Why is there a particular fundamental frequency to start with?

Thanks for the pointer.

Because the fundamental is created by a sinewave generator, and because the sinewave generator doesn't produce an ideal (pure sinusoidal) sinewave, harmonics are produced. The frequencies of the harmonics are integer multiples of the fundamental (2f, 3f, 4f) ?

As this is a question about engineering, I was thinking more about vibrations. I now see that the question mentions "periodic waveforms."

The answer can be the same in both cases. It boils down to boundary conditions. As you said in the OP, the periodicity constrains which frequencies can be present. I would probably elaborate more on why that is when answering such a question.

DrClaude said:
As this is a question about engineering, I was thinking more about vibrations. I now see that the question mentions "periodic waveforms."

The answer can be the same in both cases. It boils down to boundary conditions. As you said in the OP, the periodicity constrains which frequencies can be present. I would probably elaborate more on why that is when answering such a question.

Thank you. I appreciate your help!

What are harmonics?

Harmonics are frequencies that are integer multiples of a fundamental frequency. They are created when a sound wave is divided into smaller parts, each with its own frequency.

Why are harmonics important?

Harmonics are important because they give each instrument or voice its unique sound. They also play a crucial role in creating the timbre, or tone quality, of a sound.

How are harmonics produced?

Harmonics are produced when a sound wave travels through a medium, such as air, and is reflected off of a surface. The reflected wave combines with the original wave, creating a series of waves with different frequencies.

What is the relationship between harmonics and integer multiples?

Integer multiples are whole number multiples of a fundamental frequency, and they are also known as harmonics. This means that every harmonic is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency.

Can harmonics be heard?

Yes, harmonics can be heard. They are responsible for the unique sound of each instrument or voice, and can be heard as a series of higher pitched tones that are created when a sound wave is divided into smaller parts.