Harvesting energy from evaporating water

In summary: The rains have finally started here, so I may devote some time between now and July, to study this idea.Might have a "niche" market though.
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea. I tried skimming the article (TL/DR), but couldn't easily figure out what kind of structure or mechanism is used to harvest the power. Can you point me to that part? Thanks.

I think it was probably a fun mathematical recreation.
google google google

Yup! Lots of maths.
Potential for natural evaporation as a reliable renewable energy resource [Nature Communications]

I think their economics teacher would give them an F- for not including even a mention that "this might be expensive".

Might have a "niche" market though.
The rains have finally started here, so I may devote some time between now and July, to study this idea.

OmCheeto said:
Might have a "niche" market though.

A really small niche to be sure currently a prototype has an average power output of 0.3 mWatts/m2 with a target of increasing it to 0.03w/m2 .

The only body of water I can off the top of my head think might be worth covering with this device is the Great Salt Lake with an area of 4400 km2. It would generate 132 MW of power. which might power about 10,000 houses if it could generate 0.03W/m2. They say it could be made more cost effective than solar which I cannot see since solar manufacturing cost is currently less than $1/watt. and about $3/ w installed. Seeing that they would try and use as much water surface as possible how would they contend with or share the water with birds and other aquatic life.?

gleem said:
Seeing that they would try and use as much water surface as possible how would they contend with or share the water with birds and other aquatic life.?
Yeah, the Environmental Impact Reports would seem to be a show-stopper for most of these projects...

For people with sufficient property a shallow pond of about 0.8 acres would be adequate for an average house in an area that does not freeze although you would need uncovered aisles in the array to repair or service the individual units.. Not knowing how they are going to scale up the device from the prototype there could also be other issues for example the louvers have to be able to compete with wind either preventing them from opening or closing as well as survive damage from gusty conditions. Having exposed mechanisms to the environment may require significant maintenance.

gleem said:
A really small niche to be sure currently a prototype has an average power output of 0.3 mWatts/m2 with a target of increasing it to 0.03w/m2 .
Hey! That's an old paper. Wolram's link took me to a paper just published. hmmmm...

Your source paper:
Scaling up nanoscale water-driven energy conversion into evaporation-driven engines and generators
Published online: 16 June 2015
Xi Chen
, Davis Goodnight, Zhenghan Gao, Ahmet H. Cavusoglu, Nina Sabharwal, Michael DeLay, Adam Driks & Ozgur Sahin

Wolram's source paper:
Potential for natural evaporation as a reliable renewable energy resource
Published online: 26 September 2017
Ahmet-Hamdi Cavusoglu
, Xi Chen, Pierre Gentine & Ozgur Sahin

hmmm...

Is this common for people to rewrite their ideas every two years, and switch names around, so that no one notices?

OmCheeto said:
Your source paper:
Scaling up nanoscale water-driven energy conversion into evaporation-driven engines and generators
Published online: 16 June 2015
Xi Chen
, Davis Goodnight, Zhenghan Gao, Ahmet H. Cavusoglu, Nina Sabharwal, Michael DeLay, Adam Driks & Ozgur Sahin

Interestingly another article from the MIT Technology Review dated Sept 26, 2017 says the same thing. The article referenced by @wolfram is a theoretical justification for the optimism for this technique but the reality the prototype specs do not appear to have changed and thus actual implementation does not appear to have progressed from 2015.

An additional issue is the fact that the device depends on a rapid change in humidity as the louvers open. This situation does not exist in areas of high relative humidity routinely found in the southeastern states or when there is significant rain. The warm arid regions of the country seem to be the best location for the use of this device.

Before the champagne is poured we need to see a fully operational system capable of powering a standard home for a substantial time under varying weather conditions.

Related to Harvesting energy from evaporating water

1. How does harvesting energy from evaporating water work?

Harvesting energy from evaporating water involves capturing the energy released when water changes state from liquid to gas. This is typically done by using special materials that can absorb water vapor, causing them to expand and contract, which can then be converted into mechanical or electrical energy.

2. What are the benefits of harvesting energy from evaporating water?

Harvesting energy from evaporating water can provide a renewable and sustainable source of energy. It is also a clean and environmentally friendly process, as it does not produce harmful pollutants or emissions.

3. What are some potential applications of harvesting energy from evaporating water?

This technology can be used for a variety of purposes, such as powering small devices like sensors or low-power electronics, providing energy for irrigation systems in remote areas, or even generating electricity on a larger scale for use in homes and buildings.

4. What are the challenges of harvesting energy from evaporating water?

One of the main challenges is finding the right materials that can efficiently and effectively capture water vapor and convert it into usable energy. Additionally, the process may be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the rate of water evaporation.

5. Is harvesting energy from evaporating water a viable option for widespread use?

While more research and development is needed, harvesting energy from evaporating water shows promising potential as a renewable energy source. It has already been successfully demonstrated in laboratory settings, and efforts are underway to scale up the technology for practical use in various applications.