Has anyone tried Victor Stenger's MonkeyGod toy universe program?

In summary, the conversation discusses the "MonkeyGod" toy universe program created by Victor Stenger, which allows users to manipulate physical constants and see if a universe with stars and heavy elements for life to exist can be created. The program was reviewed in a book called "The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning" and has been discussed on a blog. Some individuals have not tried the program yet, but it is seen as a good starting point for exploring the concept of fine-tuning in the universe.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone tried Victor Stenger's "MonkeyGod" toy universe program?

I haven't yet.
http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/Cosmo/monkey.html

I heard about it on the Cosmic Horizons blog:
http://cosmic-horizons.blogspot.com/2011/09/peer-review-fallacy-of-fine-tuning.html
which was reviewing the Stenger book called "The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning"

==sample quote from review==

... not particularly satisfied by it all, although this book does demonstrate that some of the claims of fine tuning are not as fine-tuned as originally thought. In fact, the author has a little web interface called MonkeyGod which allows you to make your own universe and see if you will get stars and heavy elements (the ingredients of life).

In summary, this is something we should probably give some serious thought to, and this book is not a bad place to start.
==endquote==

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

What's the point to the calculator?

Drakkith, there is some explanation here (but not enough)
http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/Cosmo/MonkeyGod.pdf

He refers to a book he wrote over 10 years ago. Apparently this calculator goes with the book.
I think the aim is to let you vary some a few basic physical constants and see whether you still get long-lived stars and a range of chemical elements to support complex chemistry.

Looks to me like there's a lot of room for improvement. I was hoping someone who had tried it would explain, but it looks like no one here has or wants to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah ok.

I cannot provide a definitive answer about whether anyone has tried Victor Stenger's "MonkeyGod" toy universe program. However, I can provide some insights and thoughts on the program and its potential impact on the scientific community.

Firstly, it is important to note that the "MonkeyGod" toy universe program is not a scientific experiment or study. It is simply a web interface that allows users to create their own simulated universe and see if it can produce stars and heavy elements, which are necessary for life to exist. While this may be an interesting and educational tool, it does not provide any significant scientific evidence or insights.

Furthermore, the program seems to be based on the idea of the "fine-tuning" argument, which suggests that the universe is finely tuned for the existence of life. This is a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community, with many scientists arguing that the apparent fine-tuning can be explained through natural processes and does not necessarily require a designer or creator.

In terms of its potential impact, the "MonkeyGod" toy universe program may spark curiosity and discussion among non-scientists, but it is unlikely to have a significant impact on the scientific community. Scientific research and experiments undergo rigorous peer-review processes and are based on empirical evidence, not simulations or web interfaces.

Overall, while the "MonkeyGod" toy universe program may be an interesting and thought-provoking tool, it should not be considered a substitute for scientific research and evidence. As with any scientific claim, it is important to critically evaluate the evidence and arguments presented.

1. What is Victor Stenger's MonkeyGod toy universe program?

Victor Stenger's MonkeyGod toy universe program is a computer simulation that allows users to experiment with different parameters and variables to create virtual universes. It is inspired by the concept of a "toy universe" proposed by physicist John Wheeler.

2. How does the MonkeyGod toy universe program work?

The program uses algorithms and mathematical equations to generate virtual universes based on the user's input. Users can adjust parameters such as gravity, mass, and energy to see how it affects the development and evolution of the universe.

3. What can you learn from using the MonkeyGod toy universe program?

By using the program, users can gain a better understanding of how the laws of physics and different parameters affect the development and structure of a universe. It can also help users visualize and explore hypothetical scenarios in a virtual setting.

4. Is the MonkeyGod toy universe program scientifically accurate?

While the program is based on scientific principles and theories, it is important to note that it is a simplified simulation and does not represent the complexity of our actual universe. Therefore, the results should not be taken as definitive or absolute.

5. How can I access the MonkeyGod toy universe program?

The program is available for download on various platforms and can be purchased online. It is also possible to find online simulations or games that are based on similar concepts to the MonkeyGod toy universe program.