Has information been lost to a black hole?

In summary: IMO.In summary, the conversation discusses whether information can be lost in a black hole due to falling through the event horizon, and if there is a physical disconnect between what the observer sees and what has "really happened." The possibility of launching a mirror towards the event horizon to observe one's own clock is also considered. The conversation also mentions the concept of infinite points on a finite length and whether a mapping is possible. Finally, the issue of what constitutes information and what it means to be lost is brought up, with the conclusion that the black hole information paradox relies on poorly defined assumptions.
rjbeery
I'd like to understand if and when information is ever actually lost in a black hole; specifically, I'd like to analyze the statement:

Is there information, which existed in the past, that is theoretically unavailable to external observers today due to falling through the event horizon of a black hole?

I'd like to restrict this thread to GR, and limit the discussion to the above specific statement and subject matter.

I'm open to suggestions on how to analyze this question, but my thoughts are to follow. To the external observer an infalling object is never lost. He could continue to study such an object for all time, taking readings and measurements of the object, albeit from an asymptotically redshifted and time dilated view of it. The external observer could adjust his measurements to account for such redshifting and time dilation and record perfectly accurate data (with perfect instrumentation).

Does this answer the question? There does seem to be a view in the community that reality contains some sort of a physical disconnect between what the observer sees and what has "really happened". How can we probe this? One thought I had was to launch a mirror towards the event horizon, and let the external observer watch his own clock in that mirror. It seems to me that if there is a point of last communication (from the perspective of the mirror) then there would be a terminating time T after which the external observer could no longer see his own clock. It seems plausible, if not completely convincing, that the observer could proclaim information has been lost at time T.

From Reflections on Relativity:

Having discussed the prospects for hovering near a black hole, let's review the process by which an object may actually fall through an event horizon. If we program a space probe to fall freely until reaching some randomly selected point outside the horizon and then accelerate back out along a symmetrical outward path, there is no finite limit on how far into the future the probe might return. This sometimes strikes people as paradoxical, because it implies that the in-falling probe must, in some sense, pass through all of external time before crossing the horizon, and in fact it does, if by "time" we mean the extrapolated surfaces of simultaneity for an external observer. However, those surfaces are not well-behaved in the vicinity of a black hole. It's helpful to look at a drawing like this:
http://mathpages.com/rr/s7-03/7-03_files/image022.gif
This illustrates schematically how the analytically continued surfaces of simultaneity for external observers are arranged outside the event horizon of a black hole, and how the in-falling object's worldline crosses (intersects with) every timeslice of the outside world prior to entering a region beyond the last outside timeslice.

If it's true that there exists no time T on an external clock which cannot be observed from that clock's location, after having been reflected on an infalling mirror, then I believe the answer to the question in this thread is no and information has never yet been lost to a theoretical event horizon. However it's supposedly a net redshifting of what the infalling mirror sees of the outside world when SR and GR effects are considered, and I don't believe that jibes with the Reflections on Relativity graph. The infalling worldline is finite and the book indicates that each point on that worldline has an extrapolated surface of simultaneity for all points on the external observer's infinite worldline. In order to fit an infinite number of points on to a finite length I don't see how a blueshifting is not required.

So does anyone have the answer? What I'd really like is the calculation for "when" an external observer could no longer see himself in the infalling mirror.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you are right. There is no limit if you restrict yourself to GR.

My guess is that the surface irregularities of the event horizon are due to other aspects of physics/mathematics. (Noether's theorem would seem to indicate a limit on redshift for example.) But you wanted a simpler model.

BTW, in geometry, any non-zero line segment has an infinite number of points. It is not clear to me that a line segment of a given (or even infinite) length is big O to the number of points on the smallest segment (less the zero length segment of course). Thus a mapping should be possible. (I could be wrong though.)

BTW, I'm not an expert

Jeff Rosenbury said:
I think you are right. There is no limit if you restrict yourself to GR.

My guess is that the surface irregularities of the event horizon are due to other aspects of physics/mathematics. (Noether's theorem would seem to indicate a limit on redshift for example.) But you wanted a simpler model.

BTW, in geometry, any non-zero line segment has an infinite number of points. It is not clear to me that a line segment of a given (or even infinite) length is big O to the number of points on the smallest segment (less the zero length segment of course). Thus a mapping should be possible. (I could be wrong though.)

BTW, I'm not an expert
Right, I don't have a problem with mapping infinite points on to a finite length, I have a problem "experiencing" that finite length as a worldline and not "experiencing" those infinite points as being necessarily, infinitely, blueshifted away from their original signal.

First, you need to consider what constitutes 'information', followed by what it means to be 'lost'. Can you deduce the last thing that passed through the mind a bug from the spatter on your windshield [other than 'crap!']? The black hole information paradox relies on too many poorly defined assumptions to be taken too seriously, IMO.

Chronos said:
First, you need to consider what constitutes 'information', followed by what it means to be 'lost'. Can you deduce the last thing that passed through the mind a bug from the spatter on your windshield [other than 'crap!']? The black hole information paradox relies on too many poorly defined assumptions to be taken too seriously, IMO.
This doesn't bother me so much. Losing information to chaos is radically different from losing information to physical laws.

I know the energy of information depends on temperature. So if we redshift enough we will lose the information in the cosmic background radiation as the energy value drops below the signal to noise ratio (by a lot).

Does that count as a physical law, or chaos? It seems both to me.

1. What is a black hole and how does it form?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it. It forms when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How does a black hole affect information?

According to the laws of physics, information cannot be destroyed. However, when it falls into a black hole, it becomes inaccessible to the outside world and is no longer observable. This is known as the black hole information paradox.

3. Can information escape from a black hole?

While it is believed that information cannot escape from a black hole, there are theories that suggest information might be able to escape through Hawking radiation. However, this has not been proven yet.

4. How does quantum mechanics play a role in the loss of information to a black hole?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that governs the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is believed that information is lost in a black hole due to the quantum fluctuations that occur at the event horizon, the point of no return for anything entering a black hole.

5. Is there any way to retrieve information from a black hole?

Currently, there is no known way to retrieve information from a black hole. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of using quantum entanglement to extract information from a black hole. This is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven.