Why Twitter allows NSFW content?

• Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Twitter
In summary, someone on Twitter gave a 14-year-old access to sensitive and adult content without supervision, and this created a potential danger for the young user.
Grands
Hi guys.
I have a problem about Twitter.
I have a friend of 14 years old that yesterday used my computer to see Twitter profiles of famous football player.
Then searching on twitter he found by himself NSFW content that wasn't hide and Twitter didn't ask if the user is over 18 years old.

So he saw sensitive content and I thing can be very dangerous for him.
Once he saw this content he ask me "what is that?" " why people do that? " etc...

So my question is, how can I hide NSFW content on Twitter in order to don't make this happens again.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ia citrated the google protection, but it doesn't work with Twitter, it isn't Twitter fault?
This don't happens with Instagram or Facebook.

Thanks for the help.

Grands said:
There is plenty of garbage on all social media platforms. They are so big it's hard for them to monitor and remove quickly. In time they usually do. If you find something offensive there is usually a report option. If you don't want to see anything offensive by mistake I'd not use the service.

Likes davenn, Grands and scottdave
Grands said:
Ia citrated the google protection, but it doesn't work with Twitter, it isn't Twitter fault?

Thanks for the help.
Someone once told me that Twitter is like sitting on your front porch and when someone walks by you may say "Hi" to them and they may talk back. It is more open. Facebook is sort of like inviting them into your house. I think Instagram would be similar to that.

Grands said:
Hi guys.
I have a problem about Twitter.
I have a friend of 14 years old that yesterday used my computer to see Twitter profiles of famous football player.
Then searching on twitter he found by himself NSFW content that wasn't hide and Twitter didn't ask if the user is over 18 years old.

So he saw sensitive content and I thing can be very dangerous for him.
Once he saw this content he ask me "what is that?" " why people do that? " etc...

So my question is, how can I hide NSFW content on Twitter in order to don't make this happens again.

Thanks.

Perhaps education rather than censorship might be an approach?

Cheers

Likes Rx7man

1. Why does Twitter allow NSFW content?

Twitter allows NSFW (Not Safe for Work) content because it believes in free speech and expression. The platform considers itself a place for open conversation and diverse viewpoints, and therefore allows its users to share a wide range of content, including NSFW material.

2. Isn't NSFW content harmful or offensive?

While NSFW content may be considered offensive or inappropriate by some, Twitter does have policies in place to protect users from certain types of content, such as hate speech and graphic violence. However, as long as the content does not violate these policies, Twitter allows it to be shared on the platform.

3. Does Twitter have any restrictions on NSFW content?

Yes, Twitter does have restrictions on NSFW content. Users must mark their accounts as "Sensitive Content" if they plan to share NSFW material, and Twitter also has a "sensitive media" filter that users can turn on to avoid seeing this type of content in their feed.

4. Why don't other social media platforms allow NSFW content?

Each social media platform has its own policies and guidelines for what content is allowed. Some platforms have stricter rules and may not allow NSFW content, while others, like Twitter, have more lenient policies. It ultimately comes down to the company's values and vision for their platform.

5. Does allowing NSFW content on Twitter affect its user base or reputation?

Twitter's decision to allow NSFW content may have some impact on its user base or reputation, as some people may choose not to use the platform because of this policy. However, Twitter believes in giving its users the freedom to express themselves and believes that this policy ultimately creates a more diverse and open community on the platform.