Have electrons been used to image electrons or ions?

In summary, an electron or ion beam produces an electrostatic potential. This potential can be used to image the specimen. However, there are significant effects from beam-beam interactions that need to be considered.
Philip Koeck
I'm looking for images of electron or ion beams recorded (from the side) using electrons, for example with a transmission electron microscope. Does anybody have references to publications?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the point would be of such a measurement.
When I think of imaging with electrons, I think of electron microscopes - of which there are half a dozen basic types.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_microscope

But in all cases, the object being scanned is held still in order to get a very high resolution image.

You can Google on: electron ion collision cross section
But most of those articles are either behind paywalls or focus on electron capture instead of deflection.

.Scott said:
I'm not sure what the point would be of such a measurement.
When I think of imaging with electrons, I think of electron microscopes - of which there are half a dozen basic types.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_microscope

But in all cases, the object being scanned is held still in order to get a very high resolution image.
One thing I want to know is how stable the electron or ion beam is while it's exposed to let's say 200 keV electrons.

You have effects of beam-beam interactions in colliders.

mfb said:
You have effects of beam-beam interactions in colliders.
I'm thinking more along these lines: An electron or ion beam produces an electrostatic potential. In phase contrast electron microscopy and electron holography you can get images that are roughly proportional to the projected potential of the specimen. I'm wondering if anybody has imaged the potential produced by a charged particle beam using phase contrast electron microscopy or electron holography.

Would there not be significant and unwanted phase shifts from the Bohm-Aharanov effect?

Not sure. I was told by Marco Beleggia that the magnetic field from a current orthogonal to the electron beam of the microscope will not lead to a phase shift of the electron beam. He's worked a lot on phase shifts due to magnetic fields, such as for an electron microscope phase plate, but I really don't know.
Here's Marco's paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313434493_Tunable_Ampere_phase_plate_for_low_dose_imaging_of_biomolecular_complexes

The devil is in the geometric detail and I am not expert in electron microscopy, so I certainly don't know! Just one more thing to consider..

1. How are electrons used to image electrons or ions?

Electrons are used to image electrons or ions through a process called electron microscopy. This involves using a beam of electrons to scan a sample, creating an image based on the interactions between the electrons and the sample's surface.

2. What is the purpose of using electrons to image electrons or ions?

The purpose of using electrons to image electrons or ions is to obtain high-resolution images of these particles. This can provide valuable information about their structure, composition, and behavior, which can be used in various scientific fields such as materials science, biology, and nanotechnology.

3. How do electrons interact with electrons or ions during imaging?

Electrons interact with electrons or ions through various mechanisms, such as scattering and absorption. When the electron beam hits the sample, it can cause the particles to emit secondary electrons, which are then collected and used to create an image.

4. Are there any limitations to using electrons to image electrons or ions?

Yes, there are limitations to using electrons to image electrons or ions. One major limitation is the size of the sample that can be imaged, as electron microscopy is typically used for small-scale imaging. Additionally, the sample must be able to withstand the high vacuum environment required for electron microscopy.

5. How has electron imaging technology advanced in recent years?

Electron imaging technology has advanced significantly in recent years, with the development of new techniques such as scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) and cryo-electron microscopy. These advancements have allowed for even higher resolution imaging and the ability to study biological samples in their native state.