Have You Considered DIY Battery Replacement for Your Camera?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the author saw an advertisement for a $79 battery, which they found too expensive and also found many digital cameras already have a power outlet. However, they are interested in making a cheaper battery replacement and are not interested in using batteries with USB communications.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Plug in power source for battery replacement in gadgets.
I saw an advertisement for this today:
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.53.00 PM.png

in B&H (photo suppliers) for $79. Too much for me, also many digital cameras have sockets to supply plug-in power from a power source which costs less.

I was considering making something like this by 3D printing a shape to fit into the battery compartment, putting in contacts, and wiring it to an appropriate power source, and making a hole to the battery compartment for the cord (so it could be closed). (Never got to the project.)
Since this is for a canon camera, it has several contacts (I don't know why) and electrical requirements unknown to me.

I am interested in cheapper battery replacements for simpler things (like automatic fish feeders, small lights).
I really dislike using batteries for a variety of reasons and am just wondering if anyone has done this or thought about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this 5V level power? If so, is USB communication going on over the recharging link? If so, you will need to figure out how to do that in your DIY projects, right?

The one pictured above is for a digital camera. I am not actively looking for that.
I am not thinking of USB communications.
The extra contacts may have something to do with reading battery power levels, but I really don't know. The camera companies usually provide plug in versions at a reasonable price. These are satisfactory for me.

Those I am interested in possibly doing would mostly be replacements for various numbers of conventional ~1.5 V batteries, in series. So 1.5, 3.0, 4.5 V etc. I can usually find cheap power sources for these when I look for them (either by ordering them or going to electronics thrift shops in town).

I would just like to reduce my battery use:
  • no replacing batteries periodically
  • no batteries leaking
  • no battery disposal
  • no replacement battery expense.

The auxiliary connections to the battery in question are to access each cell (This Li-ion battery has two cells...during charging they must be treated individually, hence the extra contacts. Some other batteries carry extra contacts for temperature monitoring).
In general response to your question yes one can do what you propose and I have done numerous such kluudges (before the advent of 3D printing !). Mostly be aware that sometimes batteries are asked to supply a short burst at high current and your replacement may have trouble doing that. Also batteries are very stable with no AC noise.
Enjoy.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
I believe there is more to it. We are a Canon family with several Canon SLRs, so there is always plenty of Canon made batteries and Canon made chargers around. I can't put a random LP-E6N battery into a random LP-E6N charger, despite being made by the same company they are not always compatible (I even made some markings on them to not waste time checking). I believe there is some logic built into them and there is some kind of communication going between the battery/charger/camera, if you don't know the protocol they can be not able to recognize each other.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
Yes I believe there are all kinds of shenanigans used particularly by the camera people to discourage aftermarket batteries. I think some of the early cell phones did similar things.
That being said the OP was asking a much simpler question...

Likes BillTre
I believe this kind of thing goes by the name of 'battery dummy'.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Yes I believe there are all kinds of shenanigans used particularly by the camera people to discourage aftermarket batteries. I think some of the early cell phones did similar things.
That being said the OP was asking a much simpler question...
Nevertheless, I find it quite interesting.

Likes hutchphd

1. How often should I replace my plug in battery?

The frequency of replacing your plug in battery will depend on the type of battery and the usage. Generally, it is recommended to replace your battery every 2-3 years for optimal performance.

2. Can I use any type of battery as a replacement for my plug in battery?

No, it is important to use the correct type of battery as a replacement for your plug in battery. Using the wrong type of battery can damage your device and may even be dangerous.

3. How do I know when it's time to replace my plug in battery?

There are a few signs that may indicate it's time to replace your plug in battery. These include a decrease in battery life, difficulty charging, and visible damage to the battery.

4. Is it necessary to replace all of the batteries in my device at the same time?

It is recommended to replace all of the batteries in your device at the same time to ensure optimal performance and avoid potential issues with mismatched batteries.

5. Can I replace my plug in battery myself or do I need a professional?

It depends on the device and the type of battery. Some devices may have easily replaceable batteries, while others may require professional assistance. It is always best to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper battery replacement.