Having a big trouble with Mathematics, but I like it and I need it. Suggestions?

In summary, the student is having difficulty with mathematics and wants a way to improve. They have a tutor, but the tutor is not very good. They are also struggling with the basics of mathematics and creativity. The student suggests looking into different resources and practicing. Finally, they suggest developing creativity by practicing.
Raidkha
Hello,
I am currently a Chemistry major, and I am really good with sciences.
My problem is with math ( Calculus), in fact I always had trouble with mathematics. The problem with my situation, is that I am really interested in Math Application, in addition I really need it for my major. So I want a way where I can become proficiency in Mathematics. Mostly, I am lacking some small basic mathematical skills that reflect largely on my Calculus skills.

I have a tutor hired from my college, and she isn't that good, when I ask her a question she looks it up in the book wasting half an hour to get an answer.

So please help me so I can guide through Calculus I and II!

Physics news on Phys.org
Raidkha said:
I have a tutor hired from my college, and she isn't that good, when I ask her a question she looks it up in the book wasting half an hour to get an answer.

start by asking for a different tutor.

What problems are you having with mathematics? Can you elaborate on the struggles that you have? For example, do you know how to do things but you make silly mistakes? Or are you missing too much background? Or...?

Many people struggle with calculus. It seems suddenly very different than math topics in high school. In high school, you can just follow the methods and procedures. But in calculus, you need creativity (which comes with practicing a lot). For example, solving an integral requires much more creativity than solving a quadratic equations. Memorizing procedures won't get you very far in calculus: you will need to practice a lot and do a lot of hard questions.

If you miss background, for example if you don't know basic trig formulas, then you will struggle. Math is cumulative, so if you miss a part of the basics, then you will get stuck after a while. A solution might be to pick up a book like "basic mathematics" by Lang and study it/make exercises. That might be helpful.

And finally: I agree that you just get a different tutor. But don't assume a tutor will solve all your problems. You should see it more as a secondary resource. The primary resource should be the problems you solve and the textbook you read.
Another good secondary resource that you might want to check out are Khan Academy and Paul's notes. But again: this should only be a secondary resource!

micromass said:
What problems are you having with mathematics? Can you elaborate on the struggles that you have? For example, do you know how to do things but you make silly mistakes? Or are you missing too much background? Or...?

Many people struggle with calculus. It seems suddenly very different than math topics in high school. In high school, you can just follow the methods and procedures. But in calculus, you need creativity (which comes with practicing a lot). For example, solving an integral requires much more creativity than solving a quadratic equations. Memorizing procedures won't get you very far in calculus: you will need to practice a lot and do a lot of hard questions.

If you miss background, for example if you don't know basic trig formulas, then you will struggle. Math is cumulative, so if you miss a part of the basics, then you will get stuck after a while. A solution might be to pick up a book like "basic mathematics" by Lang and study it/make exercises. That might be helpful.

And finally: I agree that you just get a different tutor. But don't assume a tutor will solve all your problems. You should see it more as a secondary resource. The primary resource should be the problems you solve and the textbook you read.
Another good secondary resource that you might want to check out are Khan Academy and Paul's notes. But again: this should only be a secondary resource!

Thanks alot,
I do make a lot of silly mistake, a lot on exams! It's not that I don't have Basic algebra and Trig that much, it's more of remembering it, which I usually don't on EXAMS. Things like remembering how to find the slant asympotate, I do know what is it, but somehow I forgot how. As soon as I look it up, I catch it back really quick. The problem is that these type a problems appear on exams, but never show in practice problems - which are more of Calculus concepts.

The professor told me that I do miss some creativity in mathematics? so what is a good way to develop a strong creativity in it?

Wander around at khanacademy for a while. While on its own it might not completely cement your foundations, you will learn/review a lot very quickly with the videos at that site.

You might consider getting some supplemental books that you can read in your spare time to aide your way in calculus. I am a big fan of the "The Calculus Lifesaver: All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus" for calculus 1 and 2.

In the same boat as you Raid. I am also planning to major in Chemistry, doing absolutely fantastic in Physics and Chemistry, but getting destroyed by Calculus/Math. I am also hoping someone has some good pointers for what to do, to help improve math skills, for those of us who like it's application, but not pure math/theory and thus are struggling in the full on math courses.

Raidkha said:
Hello,
I am currently a Chemistry major, and I am really good with sciences.
My problem is with math ( Calculus), in fact I always had trouble with mathematics. The problem with my situation, is that I am really interested in Math Application, in addition I really need it for my major. So I want a way where I can become proficiency in Mathematics. Mostly, I am lacking some small basic mathematical skills that reflect largely on my Calculus skills.

So please help me so I can guide through Calculus I and II!

Good in sciences but bad at "math ( Calculus)". Not surprising. "Learning" Mathematics at college level is all about learning to understand and try to develop the tool. In your Chemistry and Physics courses, you APPLY the tool and not really focus on studying the tool.

How did you bring yourself up to the Calculus level? Did you repeat your previous Mathematics courses? If so then that tells you something. Even if you did not need to repeat them,maybe that is just what you must do. Why? Maybe you need more time than just the semester to succeed in each semester Calculus course. OR, maybe you are weak in some prerequisite knowledge and need to review that intensively. When you study something again which you previously studied, you should expect to get better at it. Maybe you could, if you have the time, try to learn a Calculus course BEFORE you enroll in it. If you do not take/have the time to do that, then you must be willing to repeat each course which you not pass successfully.

Summary is that two reasons are for not passing a Math course, especially Calculuses:
  1. Weak in prerequisite knowledge
  2. Semester length time too short for you to learn course.

Related to Having a big trouble with Mathematics, but I like it and I need it. Suggestions?

1. How can I improve my math skills?

There are several ways to improve your math skills. One way is to practice regularly, as the more you practice, the better you will become at solving math problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to receive additional support and guidance. Additionally, utilizing online resources and studying the concepts behind the problems can also be beneficial.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular concept in math?

If you are struggling with a particular concept in math, it is important to identify the root of the problem. Sometimes, going back to review the basics can help clear up any confusion. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate who may be able to explain the concept in a different way. Practice and repetition are also key in understanding and mastering difficult math concepts.

3. How important is it to understand math?

Math is a fundamental subject that is used in many aspects of our daily lives. From managing finances to problem-solving, having a strong understanding of math can be extremely beneficial. It also helps develop critical thinking and analytical skills, which are valuable in many different fields.

4. What are some tips for staying motivated in math?

Staying motivated in math can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help. Setting small, achievable goals and celebrating your progress can help keep you motivated. Additionally, finding real-life applications for the math concepts you are learning can make it more interesting and relevant. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

5. Can I still succeed in a STEM field if I struggle with math?

Yes, you can still succeed in a STEM field even if you struggle with math. While math is an important component of many STEM fields, it is not the only skill required for success. There are many resources available to help you strengthen your math skills, and with dedication and persistence, you can overcome any challenges and achieve your goals in a STEM field.