How to Apply for an MSc Without a Recommendation from a Problematic Advisor?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter joven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, the speaker recently quit their job as a research assistant due to their supervisor, who was also their former advisor, recommending that they be fired from a project. However, their boss believed otherwise and they are now having trouble applying for an MSc due to the need for a recommendation letter. The speaker is seeking advice on how to overcome this issue and wondering if their career is over. The suggested advice is to consider other possibilities for obtaining a recommendation letter, such as from other supervisors or mentors.
joven
Hello! I recently quit my job as a research assistant since I discovered my supervisor, also my former advisor, recommended my boss to fire me (It was a project). He claimed he has done all the work and I didn't assist him, thankfully my boss believed otherwise.
However, as he is my former advisor and a very influential man, I'm having trouble applying to an MSc since almost all universities need a recommendation letter. Any advice? or my career is really over?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get a letter from your (former) boss?

How was this project related to a BSc?
\Which field is this?

joven said:
Hello! I recently quit my job as a research assistant since I discovered my supervisor, also my former advisor, recommended my boss to fire me (It was a project). He claimed he has done all the work and I didn't assist him, thankfully my boss believed otherwise.
However, as he is my former advisor and a very influential man, I'm having trouble applying to an MSc since almost all universities need a recommendation letter. Any advice? or my career is really over?

I'd consider other possibilities for writing your recommendation letter. Have you worked for others as an RA? TA? What about classroom teachers in whose courses you excelled? Undergrad research advisers? Other mentors?

One thing we do when mentoring undergraduates is make sure they have relationships with lots of people who can provide recommendation letters so that if one relationship goes south (it happens), they are not stuck.

1. What are the requirements for getting a MSc?

The requirements for getting a MSc vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, students must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and may need to take standardized tests like the GRE. Additionally, some programs may require work experience or a research proposal.

2. How long does it take to get a MSc?

The length of time it takes to get a MSc can vary depending on the program and whether a student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a MSc program. However, some accelerated programs may allow students to complete their degree in as little as 12 months.

3. What if I am having trouble finding a MSc program in my desired field?

If you are having trouble finding a MSc program in your desired field, you may want to consider expanding your search to different universities or looking into related fields. Additionally, you can reach out to academic advisors or professionals in your desired field for recommendations on programs or universities that may be a good fit for you.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a MSc program?

To improve your chances of getting accepted into a MSc program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant work experience, and strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to professors or researchers in your desired field to discuss potential research projects or volunteer/internship opportunities.

5. What are the benefits of getting a MSc?

Earning a MSc can provide numerous benefits, including advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, increased job opportunities and potential for higher salaries, and the opportunity for further academic pursuits such as a PhD. Additionally, a MSc can also help individuals stand out in a competitive job market and open up opportunities for networking and professional development.