How to recommend a research mentor for a faculty position?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of an undergraduate student writing a recommendation letter for their research professor who is applying for a faculty position at an Australian university. The student has concerns about the effectiveness of their letter and whether it could potentially harm the professor's application. Ultimately, it is advised that the student should not write the letter and instead express their gratitude to the professor once their project is completed.
PrinceWalnut
Hi all!

I'm an undergrad in physics in the USA, and a research professor I've been working with for the past ~2 years is applying for an open faculty position at an Australian university. She hasn't asked me to recommend her in any way, and I know that in all likelihood the word of some undergraduate from some American school may not mean much to the department hiring for the position, but I'd like to write a recommendation letter both as an expression of gratitude (though I don't intend to tell her about it) and also because I do think she would be a wonderful candidate for the job. Is there any advice on how I can best go about doing this? Some things that they would care about that I can speak to as an undergraduate research student of hers? I'd also like to know if there are any potential ways my word could hurt her, since I am doing this without telling her, and wouldn't want to accidentally sabotage her application through carelessness.

Also, this is a university I happen to be currently applying to for PhD studies. Not because she's moving there, but simply because there are research groups in the department I'd be interested in working with.

Advice here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't do it. In the best case it leads to confusion why you would send something like that, in the worst case it makes your professor look odd in a negative way. Letters of recommendation have to be from someone "more senior" or at least in an equivalent position for very senior people.

Likes russ_watters, member 587159, StoneTemplePython and 2 others
mfb said:
Don't do it. In the best case it leads to confusion why you would send something like that, in the worst case it makes your professor look odd in a negative way. Letters of recommendation have to be from someone "more senior" or at least in an equivalent position for very senior people.
Thanks. After some thought and consulting with friends in other areas I've decided to refrain for the reasons you've stated.

For what it's worth, you can always write a formal letter directly to her thanking her for her mentorship once your project is completed. This might not have much of a direct impact on her career, but it's still nice to get positive, unsolicited feedback from students.

Likes Timo, russ_watters, member 587159 and 1 other person

1. What qualities should I look for in a research mentor for a faculty position?

When recommending a research mentor for a faculty position, it is important to consider their expertise in the field, their track record of successful research projects, their communication and leadership skills, and their compatibility with the institution and its values.

2. How can I assess a potential mentor's level of commitment and availability?

You can assess a potential mentor's level of commitment and availability by discussing their current workload and schedule, as well as their approach to mentoring. It may also be helpful to speak with current or former mentees to get a sense of their experiences with the mentor.

3. Should I recommend a mentor from within the same institution or from a different one?

It is generally recommended to recommend a mentor from a different institution, as this can bring new perspectives and opportunities for collaboration. However, if the mentor from within the same institution has a strong track record and is a good fit for the position, they can also be a suitable recommendation.

4. How can I ensure that the recommended mentor will provide a supportive and inclusive environment for their mentees?

You can ensure that the recommended mentor will provide a supportive and inclusive environment by discussing their approach to diversity and inclusion, their experience with mentoring individuals from diverse backgrounds, and any policies or initiatives they have in place to promote a positive and inclusive research environment.

5. Is it necessary for the recommended mentor to have a specific academic background or degree?

While it can be beneficial for the recommended mentor to have a relevant academic background or degree, it is not always necessary. What is more important is their expertise and experience in the field, as well as their ability to effectively mentor and support their mentees.