Having trouble understanding the relationship between these expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation √MgL/m = L/t and the problem of measuring the free-fall acceleration on a small planet using a wire and a suspended mass. The second section clarifies that the equality does not come from √MgL/m but rather from the wave speed equation v = √T/u and the distance over time equation L/t. It also mentions that the second section is just an algebraic rearrangement of the second equation in the first section.
coldjeanz
38v5P.png

I understand everything up until:

√MgL/m = L/t

Why is that equal to L/t?

I also don't understand this either:

U8IiJ.png

This is the problem itself however I don't feel it's that important since I am trying to figure out how they are arriving at their conclusions.

An astronaut on a small planet wishes to measure the local value of the free-fall acceleration by timing pulses traveling down a wire that has an object of large mass suspended from it. Assume a wire has a mass of 4.10 g and a length of 1.60 m and that a 3.00 kg object is suspended from it. A pulse requires 43.6 ms to traverse the length of the wire. Calculate g of planet from these data. (You may ignore the mass of the wire when calculating the tension in it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not saying that the last equality follows from something about [itex]\sqrt{MgL/m}[/itex], but rather that the wave speed [itex]v[/itex] is equal to both [itex]\sqrt{T/u}[/itex] AND [itex]L / t[/itex] (since speed is just distance divided by time).

The second section is just an algebraic rearrangement of the second equation in the first section.

Yeah okay that went through my head for a split second but I couldn't find that in my book so I didn't know where they pulled it from. Thank you!

Related to Having trouble understanding the relationship between these expressions

1. What are some common expressions that people have trouble understanding?

Some common expressions that people have trouble understanding include idioms, metaphors, and complex mathematical or scientific formulas.

2. Why is it important to understand the relationship between these expressions?

Understanding the relationship between these expressions can help improve communication and comprehension in various contexts, such as academic or professional settings.

3. How can I improve my understanding of these expressions?

One way to improve understanding is to ask for clarification or explanations from someone who is knowledgeable about the subject. Additionally, practicing and using the expressions in context can also help improve understanding.

4. Are there any resources available to help me understand these expressions?

Yes, there are many resources available such as books, online tutorials, and language learning apps that can help explain and provide examples of these expressions.

5. Can cultural differences affect the understanding of these expressions?

Yes, cultural differences can play a role in understanding expressions, as they may have different meanings or connotations in different cultures. It is important to consider cultural context when trying to understand these expressions.