Hawking radiation: pair production?

In summary, the firewall controversy is about a black hole that evaporates and emits Hawking radiation. Unitarity is an important principle of physics, and it is required for the Hawking radiation to conserve quantum information. If Alice falls into the black hole, then her passage through the event horizon may be uneventful, but she would fall if she were cut into the empty space seen by an observer outside the black hole. If particles in system B are paired with particles inside the horizon, this violates the monogamy of entanglement. However, the actual calculation of the Hawking radiation is not clear, and it is more important to focus on the pattern of entanglement.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Dear all,

I'm trying to understand the firewall controversy and the role of Hawking radiation in this. To make things concrete, I'll use the desciption of the firewall controversy of John Preskill here,

https://quantumfrontiers.com/2012/12/03/is-alice-burning-the-black-hole-firewall-controversy/

Here he states

Following AMPS, imagine a black hole which is maximally entangled with another quantum system C outside the black hole. Like any black hole, this one evaporates by emitting Hawking radiation. Also following AMPS, assume that the evaporation is unitary, i.e., conserves quantum information. There is strong evidence that unitarity is an inviolable principle of physics, and we don’t really know how to make sense of quantum mechanics without it. Unitarity implies that as a system B is emitted by the black hole in the form of Hawking radiation, this system B, like the black hole from which it emerged, must be maximally entanged with C. And monogamy of entanglement means that B cannot be entangled with anything else besides C.

But this spells trouble for Alice, the brave soul who dares to fall into the black hole. If Alice’s passage through the event horizon were uneventful then she would fall though space that is nearly devoid of particles. But if we cut the empty space seen by Alice into the inside and outside of the black hole at the event horizon, then the particles in system B seen by an observer who stays outside are paired with particles on the inside — B is entangled with a system A inside the horizon, violating the monogamy of entanglement. Something’s wrong.

My question is about the bolded line. Where are those "particles inside the horizon" coming from? Is Hawking-radiation necessarily pair-production of two real entangled particles, of which one goes inside and the other one escapes?

Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
Is Hawking-radiation necessarily pair-production of two real entangled particles, of which one goes inside and the other one escapes?
Yes.

Ok, I guess that conservation laws dictate pair production then.So what in the mechanism prevents both particles to radiate to infinity or be trapped by the horizon?

haushofer said:
Ok, I guess that conservation laws dictate pair production then.So what in the mechanism prevents both particles to radiate to infinity or be trapped by the horizon?
If they are both trapped or both radiated to infinity, then they cancel each other out so in this case nothing really happens. This is actually the most probable "event", but we only pay attention to the rare events in which something does happen.

Of course, the above is only an intuitive picture (not unlike a picture provided by Feynman diagrams and virtual particles) which should not be taken too seriously.

So what happens in the picture where the actual calculation is performed?

haushofer said:
So what happens in the picture where the actual calculation is performed?
In the actual calculation there is no clear picture of "what really happens". You just calculate the probability density matrix far from the hole.

The original paper 'particle creation by black holes' is wonderfully readable and clear (its freely available if you google it) and imo more readable than many textbooks on the subject. That traces back the origin of the particles to outgoing and ingoing modes on some spacelike slice.

For the purposes of the firewall argument, what matters more isn't so much questions about the nature of the actual particles perse, but rather the pattern of entanglement. The fact that space inside and outside is split like in a bipartite quantum system and that a very special form of entanglement is necessary for having a vacuum state (Minkowski space).

For a very clear presentation of this decomposition, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.1231

But yes, as far as the original question goes. Having two particles escape to infinity or having them both fall in, can happen, but its not interesting or relevant for the Hawking effect.

Due to social obligations I wasn't able to respond this weekend, but thanks for the answers everyone! I'll take a look at those Jerusalem lectures, and if I have any more question, I'll be back ;)

What is Hawking radiation and pair production?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in which black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near their event horizon. Pair production is a process in which a particle-antiparticle pair is created from the energy of a photon, often occurring near the event horizon of a black hole.

How does Hawking radiation and pair production occur?

Hawking radiation is thought to occur due to quantum fluctuations near the event horizon of a black hole. These fluctuations can create a particle-antiparticle pair, with one particle escaping the black hole and the other falling in. The escaping particle is known as Hawking radiation. Pair production can also occur near the event horizon, where the strong gravitational field can convert the energy of a photon into the mass of a particle-antiparticle pair.

Why is Hawking radiation and pair production important?

Hawking radiation and pair production are important because they provide a way for black holes to lose mass and eventually evaporate. This contradicts the traditional understanding that black holes are completely "black" and do not emit any radiation. This phenomenon also has important implications for understanding the behavior of quantum gravity and the nature of space and time near black holes.

Can Hawking radiation and pair production be observed?

Currently, Hawking radiation and pair production have not been directly observed. However, scientists have observed indirect evidence of their existence, such as the evaporation of black holes over time. There are also ongoing efforts to detect Hawking radiation using specialized instruments and techniques.

What are the potential implications of Hawking radiation and pair production?

If Hawking radiation and pair production are confirmed, it could have major implications for our understanding of the universe. It could provide a way to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are currently incompatible. It could also provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy at extremely high temperatures and densities, which are present near black holes.