HD colored picture of Solvay 1927 for poster

In summary, the person is looking for a high-quality HD version of the Solvay 1927 picture, which is not available online. They are also looking for a software that leaves no watermark and leaves the picture with high quality.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hey people, I finally lost my job, i.e. I finally have a few minutes to live my life. I have wanted to have a poster in my room of the Solvay 1927 picture in HD and the colored version. From what I've seen on the Internet, there seem to be different pictures of the scene, probably taken a few seconds of interval. And there is only 1 of the pictures that is popularized as a color version on the web. Unfortunately, I much prefer the other picture, for which I have found no colorized version.

I am therefore looking for a HD version, something like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Solvay_conference_1927_(group_photograph)_bw.jpg but without the scratches/damages of the picture, which would ruin the picture on a wall, possibly in black and white. Then I would use an open source software that leave no watermark and leave the high quality on (apparently a luxury to find), I am guessing something like https://github.com/jantic/DeOldify.

I already could color the picture, but not in HD and the default color was way too blueish.

• Sad
Likes Isopod and Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
….Then take a head shot here: https://www.myheritage.com/
“Deep Nostalgia” (creates an animation based on a still photograph).

The original still .png was 1117x1897 (shown reduced here),
taken from a zoom of the original-size image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Solvay_conference_1927_(color).jpg
(highest quality b/w ? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Solvay_conference_1927_restored_source.png )

The myheritage-generated .mp4 was 512x512 @ 20fps.
With ffpmeg, I made this animated .gif as 200x200 @ 5 fps for upload here.

Einstein-original-screenshot.png
Einstein-DeepNostalgia-ffmpegOptions.gif

Last edited:
Likes Isopod
Apropos earlier posts, my paternal great-grandma claimed relation to the person in the light suit standing near the center of this photo. The man to his right married my maternal grandma's cousin after emigrating to the US. My mother and now my older sister keep track of family connections.

I know my father was worried that I inherited cousin Charles's spine problems, but improved health care, diet and exercise helped me grow reasonably straight with only minor 'hunchback'.

1649019669045.png

I wonder which scientists and EE's in this 1921 photo also appear later at Solvay?

Klystron said:
I wonder which scientists in this photo also appear at Solvay?
Sounds like a challenge problem for AI facial-recognition. :smile:?

Klystron said:
Apropos earlier posts, my paternal great-grandma claimed relation to the person in the light suit standing near the center of this photo. The man to his right married my maternal grandma's cousin after emigrating to the US. My mother and now my older sister keep track of family connections.

I know my father was worried that I inherited cousin Charles's spine problems, but improved health care, diet and exercise helped me grow reasonably straight with only minor 'hunchback'.

View attachment 299379

I wonder which scientists and EE's in this 1921 photo also appear later at Solvay?
I've never seen this. I saw a Dirac photo where all his class mates were in a group photo a little like this. When he was on his Engineering placement.

fluidistic said:
Hey people, I finally lost my job, i.e. I finally have a few minutes to live my life. I have wanted to have a poster in my room of the Solvay 1927 picture in HD and the colored version. From what I've seen on the Internet, there seem to be different pictures of the scene, probably taken a few seconds of interval. And there is only 1 of the pictures that is popularized as a color version on the web. Unfortunately, I much prefer the other picture, for which I have found no colorized version.

I am therefore looking for a HD version, something like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Solvay_conference_1927_(group_photograph)_bw.jpg but without the scratches/damages of the picture, which would ruin the picture on a wall, possibly in black and white. Then I would use an open source software that leave no watermark and leave the high quality on (apparently a luxury to find), I am guessing something like https://github.com/jantic/DeOldify.

I already could color the picture, but not in HD and the default color was way too blueish.

What was your job and why do you not have long left in your life?

I ain't having good success with that AI coloring.

I guess I will take it anyway. I notice that there's probably a higher quality version, but can only be ordered from a Zurich website, not free.

fluidistic said:
I ain't having good success with that AI coloring.

I guess I will take it anyway. I notice that there's probably a higher quality version, but can only be ordered from a Zurich website, not free.

That's cool. A few stories in that picture.

1. What is the significance of the Solvay 1927 conference?

The Solvay Conference of 1927 was a historic gathering of the world's leading physicists, including Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, and Marie Curie. It is considered a pivotal event in the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the structure of atoms.

2. Why is the picture of the Solvay 1927 conference often depicted in color?

The original black and white photograph of the Solvay Conference is iconic, but the colorized version adds a sense of life and vibrancy to the image. It also helps to distinguish the individuals in the photo and makes it more visually appealing.

3. Who is featured in the Solvay 1927 conference picture?

The picture includes 29 of the most prominent physicists of the time, including Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, and Marie Curie. It also includes other notable figures such as Erwin Schrödinger, Max Planck, and Paul Dirac.

4. How was the Solvay 1927 conference picture colorized?

The original black and white photograph was colorized using digital editing techniques. This involved carefully adding color to each individual in the photo based on historical records and descriptions of their appearance.

5. Where can I find a HD colored picture of the Solvay 1927 conference for a poster?

There are many websites that offer high-quality, colorized versions of the Solvay 1927 conference picture for purchase or download. You can also find it in many online archives and libraries, such as the Library of Congress or the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN).