Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Eggs & Beyond

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: I grew up in the south and grits are my all time favorite breakfast food. They can be eaten warm or cold, with or without milk, and are perfect with any type of meat. Personally, I love to add a few slices of bacon or sausage to my grits. They are definitely a hearty meal! :)
brewnog said:
Grits?

GRITS?

Somebody is going to have to explain, before I get it into my little head that you Yanks have for breakfast what we put on our roads...

Now for your next lesson in Amercanish. Among "Yanks" it is the NON yanks that eat grits. This is pretty much a Southeastern US dish, you will rarely find it served in restaurants in the North or West. Though it is spreading some, the further from the American South that you get the less likely you are to find it.

So in the US the term "Yank" or "Yankee" refers to Northerners. It is more commonly used by Southerners.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, everyone is invited to my house for grits. You really don't know what you're missing (if they cooked correctly!). Some people can make grits taste like wallpaper paste. I still have never had grits in a restaurant that were cooked properly. And NEVER, I mean NEVER put anything sweet on them, that would be like putting sugar on mashed potatoes.

Integral said:
Now for your next lesson in Amercanish. Among "Yanks" it is the NON yanks that eat grits. This is pretty much a Southeastern US dish, you will rarely find it served in restaurants in the North or West. Though it is spreading some, the further from the American South that you get the less likely you are to find it.

So in the US the term "Yank" or "Yankee" refers to Northerners. It is more commonly used by Southerners.

I do appreciate these lessons, I had always just assumed that Yanks populated the entirety of the US.

However, I'm still waiting for someone to offer to post me some grits. Do you get them in packets? Are they perishable?

Edit: Looks like I'm just going to have to go round to Auntie Evo's...

I sometimes seriously wonder how any of you people can survive on the crap you eat. Cereal? Health food cereal?! At least Moonbear and a couple of others are showing a bit of carnivorous good taste. :-p
I can't usually afford it, but my favourite breakfast is either 8 or 9 scrambled eggs with onion and toast, or 6 or 7 fried eggs with a dozen or so strips of bacon cooked to the approximate texture of a tire, also with toast. And of course coffee. Lots of coffee.
Usually on work days, though, I just have 3 boiled eggs and 3 pieces of bread warmed up in microwave. Again, with 3 or 4 cups of coffee. If I'm not hungry, I either skip until lunch time or have a peanut-butter sandwich piled with chili powder and salt.
Get away from me with that Muesli, you freaks!

Humm... If breakfast is the meal you eat in the morning then I generally have a bowl of cereal with some fruit (banana/berries) However...

If breakfast is the meal you eat after sleeping then I usually have black coffee.

Homniy grits are made from field corn soaked in lye, until its puffy and bleached white. they dry it, then mill it to a corse grind. My Granny use to make it, and people raved about it. I refused to eat it.

Hominy is nasty stuff, it is the only thing I will not eat. It smells like old sneakers.

brewnog said:
Muesli, yoghurt, bananas, OJ, toast (with Marmite!), grapefruit...

whats... half of all that? You brits sure don't eat much :D

Pengwuino said:
whats... half of all that? You brits sure don't eat much :D

Oh we do. If this had just been a "good breakfast" thread, like Evo, I'd have gone on about fried bacon, sausage, mushrooms and egg, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, fried bread, toast, and black pudding.

But yeah, as Evo mentioned, it's a "healthy breakfast" thread. The two are in direct conflict. (Although Marmite on toast is a meal fit for kings.)

Evo said:
Hominy is nasty stuff, it is the only thing I will not eat. It smells like old sneakers.
:confused:

I thought grits were just a form of hominy? I don't get it very often, but do enjoy fried hominy and eggs. I do not believe that I have ever eaten grits.

Yes, grits are made from milled hominy corn. Any other kind of corn that's milled is called corn meal{two thumbs up for corn bread}.

Integral said:
:confused:

I thought grits were just a form of hominy? I don't get it very often, but do enjoy fried hominy and eggs. I do not believe that I have ever eaten grits.
Yes, they are but the nasty part is thrown away. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Yes, they are but the nasty part is thrown away. :biggrin:
Must be. They just left the tasteless part. :-p

Moonbear said:
Must be. They just left the tasteless part. :-p
(takes away Moonbear's diplomatic immunity) :devil:

Them are fightin' words!

A good breakfast :

Hot grits with lots of butter, salt and pepper
Heavily buttered toast
A fluffy, buttery omelette with lots of cheese, mushrooms and green peppers
Pancakes soaked with butter and syrup
A couple sausage links

Ignore this if you're not a butter person.

Gokul43201 said:
A good breakfast :

Hot grits with lots of butter, salt and pepper
Heavily buttered toast
A fluffy, buttery omelette with lots of cheese, mushrooms and green peppers
Pancakes soaked with butter and syrup
A couple sausage links

Ignore this if you're not a butter person.
Evo<-----going to Gokul's for breakfast. :approve:

Evo, Gokul, you might also like to try:

Scotch pancakes, drizzled in butter
Potato cakes (tattie scones), immersed in butter
Hot, fresh crossiants, saturated with butter
Toasted crumpets, buttered.

The crumpets are particularly good, because they have big holes in them (like a sponge), allowing the butter/crumpet ratio to approach infinity, depending on how messy you care to get.

What are scotch pancakes?

Evo said:
What are scotch pancakes?

Also known as drop scones, they're a denser, thicker form of pancake. The mixture has sugar, bicarb, and syrup in it, in addition to the usual pancake ingredients.

Come to think of it, I wonder if British pancakes are different to American pancakes? Ours are akin to the French crepe. I'm thinking that Scotch pancakes might be more similar to American ones.

Yeah, ours are pretty thick. I like to put either chili or tuna salad on my pancakes.

I see we have another grits fan with Gokul in the thread! Brewnog's scotch pancakes and potato cakes sound interesting. I'd like to give them a go.

American pancakes seem to be a little different. I made some in Mexico and they seemed surprised that they were round. I didn't quite understand that. It seeme dlike it was something they were completely unfamiliar with. They don't eat much bacon either. I had a hard time finding 'tocino' in the super market. I can't imagine life without my BLT sandwiches.

Anyway, pancakes that I'm familiar with are about half an inch thick and 6 inches wide and circular. They can be made from several different grains. They are soft and spongy and soak up all the butter and syrup. I like to eat mine with sliced fruit. Almost any kind will do.

Evo said:
Yeah, ours are pretty thick. I like to put either chili or tuna salad on my pancakes.

Huckleberry said:
Anyway, pancakes that I'm familiar with are about half an inch thick and 6 inches wide and circular. They can be made from several different grains. They are soft and spongy and soak up all the butter and syrup. I like to eat mine with sliced fruit. Almost any kind will do.

You guys should try some real pancakes.

Pint of milk 8oz flour, 1 egg, a pinch of salt, and some melted butter... Blitz it up, let it stand for an hour or two, then fry the hell out of A THIN LAYER in some more butter. The thinner the better. Prepare to throw the first one in the bin.

brewnog said:
You should try some thin pancakes.

Pint of milk 8oz flour, 1 egg, a pinch of salt, and some melted butter... Blitz it up, let it stand for an hour or two, then fry the hell out of A THIN LAYER in some more butter.
That does sound like a crepe.

Sounds like we are now moving into the realm of favorite breakfast.

How about fresh biscuits covered in rich chipped beef gravy. The best dried beef is found in the Pennsylvania Dutch country.

And then there is crisp fried hash browns covered in Cheddar Cheese (Tilamook, specifically) with sour cream and salsa and an over easy fried egg thrown in middle. Can't forget the rasher of crisp fried bacon.

These are in no particular order.

Integral said:
How about fresh biscuits covered in rich chipped beef gravy. The best dried beef is found in the Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Sorry, for a moment there I almost thought you said "biscuits in gravy".

WAIT! YOU DID!

ARE YOU ON CRACK, MAN?!

I dunk my Rich Tea in my tea, and occasionally in some hot chocolate, but in GRAVY? For BREAKFAST?!

I think American biscuits are different from what you call a biscuit. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I think American biscuits are different from what you call a biscuit. :biggrin:

So what's a biscuit then?!

I love this conversation.

"I like grits"
"What are grits?"
"They're like porridge"
"No they're not! But I like pancakes"
"I like thick pancakes"
"Pancakes are thin! Do you mean a Scotch pancake?"
"No, a pancake. What's a Scotch pancake?"
"It's like an American pancake"
"Forget pancakes, I like biscuits"
"What's a biscuit?"

What next? Muffins? Don't get me started on muffins...

We need to have an international PF get together and cook all our favorite foods for each other. I love trying new foods.

I like biscuits and gravy too. I like biscuits best when they have a crispy shell, but are soft and steamy in the middle and can sop up lots of gravy.

brewnog said:
So what's a biscuit then?!
Big lumps of baked dough. It's a type of bread...kind of.

http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/Cookbook/FeatureRecipeImages/ff1104-jg-biscuits.jpg

Evo said:
Big lumps of baked dough. It's a type of bread...kind of.

http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/Cookbook/FeatureRecipeImages/ff1104-jg-biscuits.jpg

Ahhhh! I know what you mean. I'm not really sure what we call them.

Here is a biscuit (a Hobnob, to be precise):
hobnob.jpg

And here is a half-eaten biscuit:
hobnob_half_eaten.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that looks like a cookie. No wonder you were thrown by biscuits and gravy. Cookies and gravy would be gross.

brewnog said:
Sorry, for a moment there I almost thought you said "biscuits in gravy".

WAIT! YOU DID!

ARE YOU ON CRACK, MAN?!

I dunk my Rich Tea in my tea, and occasionally in some hot chocolate, but in GRAVY? For BREAKFAST?!
I am guessing this must have come from the german side of my family. Yep bisciuts and gravy for breakfast. Good stuff.

One of the things I love about PF is that it promotes cross-cultural understanding. Ah, the tragedies that have been averted!
Just think - I could have gone to England and ordered whipped cream on my pie, and brewnog might have come to the U.S. and dipped his buttermilk biscuit in his tea! :biggrin:

What is a healthy breakfast? Eggs? What else? I think eating waffles with butter and syrup everyday is a bad idea, and I am wondering about what I could switch to that is more healthy. Gracie!

A nice hearty bowl of cereal...Total, although I would prefer the grits

brewnog said:
You guys should try some real pancakes.

Pint of milk 8oz flour, 1 egg, a pinch of salt, and some melted butter... Blitz it up, let it stand for an hour or two, then fry the hell out of A THIN LAYER in some more butter. The thinner the better. Prepare to throw the first one in the bin.

I add a bit of sugar to make crepes, but that's the basic recipe. American pancakes, generally, would include those ingredients, plus sugar, substitute some buttermilk for the regular milk, and add baking powder (I don't know what's in baking powder, but it makes things puffy). Oh, heck, I just buy the mix and add milk. They're cooked on a griddle (to me, a scone is something you bake, though it uses a very similar recipe).

I don't know what sort of pancakes Huck has been eating. Mine are nowhere near 1/2" thick! Maybe 0.5 cm on a really fat one.

As for biscuits, those are basically flour, buttermilk, lard, baking powder and a touch of salt. You have to be really gentle about not kneading them too much so they stay light and flaky. And then when they are done baking, you smother them in butter! :approve: Yum.

Yes, what the British call biscuits, we call cookies. Though, sometimes you can find an odd brand here or there that calls them tea biscuits here.

Hard to believe we speak the same language, huh?

Cornmeal muffins are yummy! (I sure hope we all use the same word for muffins.)

Well, except we also have these things called English muffins that nobody in Britain recognizes as anything they've ever seen before. We toast them, and they have nooks and crannies so you can drown them in butter and it doesn't run off! :approve: Even better, put a fried egg, a slice of your favorite cheese, and a couple slices of bacon onto one and eat it like a sandwich! :approve: Now that's a good breakfast! :biggrin: