Heat added to system increases mass

In summary, according to this, adding heat to a system increases the mass of the particles within it, and the effect of E=mc^2 is negligible.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
According to this,
1683249472906.png

The heat added to the system is proportional to the mass. Does someone please know how that highlighted statement is so? I think it is because the heat increases the internal energy of a system and internal energy is the sum of the translational, rotational, and vibrational kinetic energies and also potential energy (I'm not sure what types thought). Therefore, the mass of the system should increase since the particles will have more mechanical energy.
1683249891836.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a courtesy to reference the source of the quote. Please do so. "This" is not a reference

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Your highlighted sentence is just poorly worded, leading to your confusion. It is saying that the change in temperature is proportional to the mass, not that the mass changes.

The effect of E=mc^2 is entirely negligible in these heat transfer calculations.

Likes Lnewqban and ChiralSuperfields
gmax137 said:
Your highlighted sentence is just poorly worded, leading to your confusion. It is saying that the change in temperature is proportional to the mass, not that the mass changes.

The effect of E=mc^2 is entirely negligible in these heat transfer calculations.
Thank you for your reply @gmax137!

However, how is the change in temperature proportional to the mass?

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

According to this,
View attachment 325969
The heat added to the system is proportional to the mass. Does someone please know how that highlighted statement is so? I think it is because the heat increases the internal energy of a system and internal energy is the sum of the translational, rotational, and vibrational kinetic energies and also potential energy (I'm not sure what types thought). Therefore, the mass of the system should increase since the particles will have more mechanical energy.
View attachment 325970

Many thanks!
Material matters as well as atmosphere. Some materials will begin oxidizing or dissolving.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

According to this,
View attachment 325969
View attachment 325970

Many thanks!
I think you got off track there.
Q = mCpΔT -->> Equation 1.5 in the book
is the formula that is being discussed

The equation says that the heat added is proportional to the mass and to the change in temperature, with a conversion facture denoted by Cp

Likes gmax137 and DrClaude
gmax137 said:
the change in temperature is proportional to the mass
I don’t think you meant that.

@ChiralSuperfields, It says that the heat injected is proportional to the mass (all else being constant, including the temperature rise) and the heat injected is proportional to the temperature rise (all else being constant, including the mass).
Combining the two, the heat injected is proportional to the product of the temperature rise and the mass.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and DrClaude
If you want to warm two bricks, it takes twice as much heat as to warm only one.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Steve4Physics
haruspex said:
I don’t think you meant that.
You're right, it was late here when I wrote that.
256bits said:
Q = mCpΔT -->> Equation 1.5 in the book
This ^^
Or, in words:
jbriggs444 said:
If you want to warm two bricks, it takes twice as much heat as to warm only one.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Therefore, the mass of the system should increase

Keep in mind, that the text you quoted also wrote "to a good approximation".

For instance, lets take 1 kilogram of water. Raising its temperature by 1 K requires energy 4182 J.
This is equivalent to, according to ##E=mc^2## the mass ##4.6\cdot 10^{-14}## kg.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
Keep in mind, that the text you quoted also wrote "to a good approximation".

For instance, lets take 1 kilogram of water. Raising its temperature by 1 K requires energy 4182 J.
This is equivalent to, according to ##E=mc^2## the mass ##4.6\cdot 10^{-14}## kg.
We could flip it around the other way. If we add enough heat to double the mass, that will increase the temperature by roughly 21 trillion degrees. By which point the the specific heat of the substance may no longer be unchanged "to a good approximation".

Likes ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn

1. How does adding heat to a system affect its mass?

When heat is added to a system, it can cause a phase change (such as melting or vaporization) which can increase the mass of the system. This is because the added heat energy causes the particles in the system to move faster and spread out, increasing the overall mass of the system.

2. Is there a direct relationship between heat added and mass increase?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the amount of heat added to a system and the resulting increase in mass. The more heat that is added, the greater the increase in mass will be.

3. Can adding heat to a system cause a decrease in mass?

In most cases, adding heat to a system will cause an increase in mass. However, in some cases, heat can cause a chemical reaction that results in the release of gas, which can decrease the overall mass of the system.

4. Does the type of substance affect how much mass is added when heat is applied?

Yes, different substances have different specific heat capacities and latent heat values, which means they will require different amounts of heat to cause a change in mass. For example, it takes more heat to vaporize water compared to alcohol, so the mass increase will be greater for water.

5. Can adding heat to a system change its density?

Yes, adding heat to a system can change its density. As mentioned before, heat can cause a phase change which can result in an increase or decrease in density. Additionally, heat can also cause the particles in a substance to expand, which can also change its density.