Internal energy contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of internal energy and how it is defined differently in the Pink equation. The individuals also mention a potential error in the textbook they are using and suggest finding a better book or using common sense to eliminate mistakes in trivial definitions. The textbook in question is the OpenStax physics volume 2. It is noted that OpenStax has a history of errors and there is a discussion about the potential work needed to bring a molecule from infinity to its present location.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1686176928116.png

They say internal energy is the sum of the all the mechanical energies of each particle in within the thermodynamic system, however, they then define internal energy differently using the average mechanical energy for all particles within the system (Pink equation). Does someone please know why they did that?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Does someone please know why they did that?
No, nor why they talk about the "bars over K and U" when there clearly aren't any. You have two choices:
  1. find a better book; or
  2. use your common sense to eliminate mistakes in trivial definitions.
Posting here to ask us why an unknown author makes mistakes won't help anyone.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
pbuk said:
No, nor why they talk about the "bars over K and U" when there clearly aren't any. You have two choices:
  1. find a better book; or
  2. use your common sense to eliminate mistakes in trivial definitions.
Posting here to ask us why an unknown author makes mistakes won't help anyone.
Thank you for your reply @pbuk!

There is actually bars,
1686179789656.png

I think the highlighter might have made them hard to see.

Sorry I don't have any common sense since I am do not have any other experience with an equation of internal energy. What internal energy equation do you use?

Many thanks!

It looks to me like a conflation of two expressions: ##E_{int}=\Sigma_{i=1}^N(K_i+U_i)=N(\bar K+\bar U)##.
But the opening sentence is wrong, it is not the sum of individual kinetic and potential energies.
For the KE, as is later clarified, the sum is over the KEs in the frame of reference of the common mass centre.
For potential energy, the sum over i makes no sense since individual molecules do not have PE. Internal PE resides in the forces between the molecules and the potential of those forces to do work. Further, this is distinct from PE involving external forces.

What is the book?

Likes Chestermiller, pbuk and ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
It looks to me like a conflation of two expressions: ##E_{int}=\Sigma_{i=1}^N(K_i+U_i)=N(\bar K+\bar U)##.
But the opening sentence is wrong, it is not the sum of individual kinetic and potential energies.
For the KE, as is later clarified, the sum is over the KEs in the frame of reference of the common mass centre.
For potential energy, the sum over i makes no sense since individual molecules do not have PE. Internal PE resides in the forces between the molecules and the potential of those forces to do work. Further, this is distinct from PE involving external forces.

What is the book?
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

The textbook is the OpenStax physics volume 2. Here is a link to the section I am referring to: https://openstax.org/books/university-physics-volume-2/pages/3-2-work-heat-and-internal-energy

Many thanks!

Sadly that is the textbook we are using for my course.

Likes scottdave, MatinSAR, malawi_glenn and 2 others
haruspex said:
Oh dear. OpenStax openly sux. I have reported hundreds of errors to them, many of which they refuse to fix.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex! Yeah there is a quite a few errors :(

haruspex said:

What is the book?
Couldn't ##U_i## be considered the amount of work needed to bring a given molecule from infinity to its present location, holding the locations of all other molecules at their present positions?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Chestermiller said:
Couldn't ##U_i## be considered the amount of work needed to bring a given molecule from infinity to its present location, holding the locations of all other molecules at their present positions?
Yes, provided you make it ##\frac 12\Sigma U_i##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is internal energy contradiction?

Internal energy contradiction refers to the phenomenon where a system's internal energy is not conserved, meaning that it either increases or decreases without any external work or heat being added to the system.

2. How does internal energy contradiction occur?

Internal energy contradiction can occur due to several reasons, such as changes in the system's volume, changes in the number of particles, or non-conservative forces acting on the system.

3. What are the implications of internal energy contradiction?

Internal energy contradiction can lead to unexpected changes in a system's temperature, pressure, or other thermodynamic properties. It can also result in the violation of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

4. Can internal energy contradiction be prevented?

In some cases, internal energy contradiction can be prevented by carefully controlling the system's conditions and minimizing any external influences. However, in certain systems, such as open systems, it may be impossible to completely eliminate internal energy contradiction.

5. How is internal energy contradiction relevant in real-world applications?

Internal energy contradiction is relevant in many real-world applications, such as in the study of phase transitions, chemical reactions, and energy transfer in living organisms. It is also important in the design and operation of energy systems, such as power plants and engines, where the conservation of energy is crucial.