Heat engines working over time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an office with a volume of 52.5 m^3 and a heat engine that outputs 1200 W. The initial pressure and temperature of the office are given, and after 10 minutes, the final air temperature is being calculated. The equation Q=mcΔT is used, with a mass of 64.3125 kg and a specific heat capacity of 5/2 R. The final answer obtained is 20.898 degrees Celsius, which is different from the predicted temperature rise by the professor. The conversation then delves into finding the molar heat capacity at constant volume of an ideal diatomic gas and the number of gram moles in 64.3125
Matt Armstrong

Homework Statement

An office with a volume of 52.5 m^3 uses a heat engine that outputs 1200 W. Suppose that, initially, the office has a pressure of 1 atm and 20 degrees Celsius before the heater is turned on. After 10 minutes (6000 seconds), what is the final air temperature?

Homework Equations

[/B]
1 atm = 101325 Pa

20 + 273 = 293 K

Q = mc*ΔT ?

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I thought this was a simple heat problem. I used the density of air and the volume to get a mass of 64.3125 kg. However, our book does not list the specific heat capacity of air, and I feel the answer I get may be a little contrived if I used values found on Google instead of using the variables given in the problem. However, I feel I may be using the wrong equation. I searched through my textbook and lecture notes, but I couldn't find any equations that I thought were relevant to the problem or had variables I could solve for with the given information. What is the equation I am supposed to be using here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You’re using the right equation. What is the molar heat capacity at constant volume of an ideal diatomic gas in terms of the ideal gas constant R?

Chestermiller said:
You’re using the right equation. What is the molar heat capacity at constant volume of an ideal diatomic gas in terms of the ideal gas constant R?

I used 5/2*R for C_v. However, this does not line up with my professors predicted temperature rise. The rise I got was less than a degree Celsius, but the answer we are supposed to get is between 10 to 20 degrees Celsius (though he writes that it is based on 'terrible assumptions' due to how heat works with any environment)

Matt Armstrong said:
I used 5/2*R for C_v. However, this does not line up with my professors predicted temperature rise. The rise I got was less than a degree Celsius, but the answer we are supposed to get is between 10 to 20 degrees Celsius (though he writes that it is based on 'terrible assumptions' due to how heat works with any environment)
Let’s see your work.

Chestermiller said:
Let’s see your work.

My apologies for not including. With Q=mcΔT, where heat = 1200, mass = 64.3125 kg, c = 5/2 R and ΔT = (T_f - 20), my final answer was 20.898 rounded to the thousandths.

Matt Armstrong said:
My apologies for not including. With Q=mcΔT, where heat = 1200, mass = 64.3125 kg, c = 5/2 R and ΔT = (T_f - 20), my final answer was 20.898 rounded to the thousandths.
Let’s see your work.

How many gram moles is 64.3125 kg of air? What happened to the 600 seconds?

1. How does a heat engine work over time?

A heat engine works by converting heat energy into mechanical energy. This is done through a series of processes, including compression, combustion, and expansion. The heat energy is used to expand a gas, which in turn pushes a piston to create motion.

2. What is the purpose of a heat engine?

The purpose of a heat engine is to convert heat energy into mechanical energy, which can then be used to perform tasks such as powering vehicles, generating electricity, or operating machinery.

3. How does the efficiency of a heat engine change over time?

The efficiency of a heat engine typically decreases over time due to wear and tear on its components, such as the piston and cylinder. In addition, as the engine operates, it will also experience thermal losses and friction, which can decrease its efficiency.

4. What factors affect the performance of a heat engine over time?

The performance of a heat engine can be affected by several factors over time, including the quality of its components, the type of fuel being used, the operating conditions (temperature, pressure, etc.), and the maintenance and upkeep of the engine.

5. Can a heat engine work indefinitely?

No, a heat engine cannot work indefinitely. As mentioned before, over time, the engine will experience wear and tear, thermal losses, and decreased efficiency, eventually leading to its failure. However, with proper maintenance and repairs, a heat engine can have a long lifespan.