Heat Equation Initial Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with initial conditions involving a partial differential equation and boundary conditions. The third condition, which is an initial condition, is causing confusion for the person asking the question. The expert explains that this condition gives the initial temperature of the bar at t=0 and can be solved using Fourier series from the eigenvalue problem. The person expresses their gratitude for the clarification and feels confident in solving the problem now.
EsponV
Greetings all,

I have a question in regards to my initial conditions. The problem as given is:

ut=uxx with u' = 0 at x=0 and u=0 at x=L

I was also given u={1 0<x<L/2, 0 L/2<x<L

I understand the set up of the problem and the solving of it for the most part, however I'm having trouble understanding the point that the third condition (the one about u) makes. More or less I'm stuck with trying to figure out what X is initially.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
EsponV said:
Greetings all,

I have a question in regards to my initial conditions. The problem as given is:

ut=uxx with u' = 0 at x=0 and u=0 at x=L

u' = 0 is ambiguous; this is a partial differential equation, and these are boundary conditions. I assume you mean:

ux(0,t) = 0, u(L,t) = 0 for t > 0.

I was also given u={1 0<x<L/2, 0 L/2<x<L

Ditto here. Write it correctly:

u(x,0) = 1, 0<x<L/2, 0 L/2<x<L

I understand the set up of the problem and the solving of it for the most part, however I'm having trouble understanding the point that the third condition (the one about u) makes. More or less I'm stuck with trying to figure out what X is initially.

Thank you

Your two boundary values for x should give you an eigenvalue problem after you separate variables. The last condition, which is an initial condition, tells you the initial temperature of the bar at t = 0. You should be able to satisfy that using Fourier series from your eigenvalue problem.

Thank you for your help. My teacher had written up our homework in the form that I wrote it in originally, and thus I was having trouble trying to figure out what the initial conditions were exactly. Your post clarified it, and I should be set to solve it now.

Thanks

Related to Heat Equation Initial Conditions

1. What is the heat equation initial condition?

The heat equation initial condition refers to the initial state of a system that is described by the heat equation. It includes the initial temperature distribution of the system and the boundary conditions.

2. What is the role of initial conditions in the heat equation?

The initial conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a system described by the heat equation. They determine the initial temperature distribution and how the system will evolve over time.

3. How are initial conditions determined for a particular system?

Initial conditions are typically determined through experimental measurements or by solving the heat equation for a specific system. They can also be estimated using mathematical models or computer simulations.

4. Can the heat equation initial conditions change over time?

Yes, the initial conditions can change over time if there are external factors that affect the temperature distribution of the system, such as heat sources or changes in boundary conditions.

5. What happens if the initial conditions are not specified for the heat equation?

If the initial conditions are not specified, the solution to the heat equation will not be unique and the behavior of the system cannot be accurately predicted. Therefore, it is important to properly define the initial conditions for a system described by the heat equation.