Heat Equation with insulated endpoints.

In summary, we are trying to solve a heat propagation equation for a bar that is insulated at the endpoints and is losing heat through its lateral surface at a rate proportional to the difference between the temperature of the bar and the surrounding medium. We can use the function v = e^{ht}(u-t) to reduce this problem to one that has already been solved, specifically the heat equation with the form u_{t} = k u_{xx}. By taking partial derivatives and equating them, we can see that we need to adjust for the constant k in the original equation.
Kizaru

Homework Statement

Assume that a bar is insulated at the endpoints. If it loses heat through its lateral surface at a rate per unit length proportional to the difference u(x,t) - T, where T is the temperature of the medium surrounding the bar, the equation of heat propagation is now

[tex]u_{t} = k u_{xx} - h (u-T)[/tex]

where h > 0

Homework Equations

Use the function

[tex] v = e^{ht}(u-t) [/tex]

to reduce this BVP to one already solved.

The Attempt at a Solution

"To one already solved" is referring to heat equation variants in which the PDE is of form

[tex]u_{t} = k u_{xx} [/tex]

I can solve it from that form, I just need to convert into something of that form.

Some things I noticed, partial derivative of v with respect to t, and equated to the second partial derivative with respect to x yields u_t = u_xx - h(u-t)
This is off by the constant k which is in front of the u_xx in the original PDE. Not sure what I'm missing from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kizaru! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
Kizaru said:
Some things I noticed, partial derivative of v with respect to t, and equated to the second partial derivative with respect to x yields u_t = u_xx - h(u-t)

Yes, you have the correct basic technique, I can't see quite how you haven't got there. :confused:

If v = eht(u - t),

then vt = … and kvxx = … ? :smile:

Related to Heat Equation with insulated endpoints.

1. What is the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints?

The Heat Equation with insulated endpoints is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat through a given material, such as a solid object or fluid. It takes into account factors such as temperature, thermal conductivity, and heat generation, and is often used in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How is the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints derived?

The Heat Equation with insulated endpoints is derived from the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the conservation of energy and the Fourier's law of heat conduction. It is a second-order partial differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or finite difference methods.

3. What are the applications of the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints?

The Heat Equation with insulated endpoints has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and materials science. It is often used to analyze and predict the behavior of heat in different systems, such as in buildings, electronic devices, and industrial processes.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints?

The boundary conditions for the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints are that the endpoints are insulated, meaning there is no heat flow in or out of the system at those points. This condition is often represented mathematically as the temperature at the endpoints being constant.

5. How does the Heat Equation with insulated endpoints differ from other heat transfer equations?

The Heat Equation with insulated endpoints differs from other heat transfer equations, such as the Heat Equation with fixed endpoints, in that it assumes no heat flow at the endpoints. This is a more realistic assumption for certain systems, such as a long, thin rod with insulated ends. It also allows for the analysis of systems with more complex geometries and boundary conditions.