Heat Exchanger Design - Can anyone identify these drawings?

In summary, the drawings show the dimensions of a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger. The drawings on the example show the dimensions of a BEF heat exchanger, but the drawings on the right show the dimensions of an AES heat exchanger. The drawings on the example show the location of the liquid drain and the orientation of the large shell-side nozzles, but the drawing on the right has me completely confused. The drawings show the fittings that will be used to assemble the heat exchanger, but the fittings on the example are different from the fittings in the drawings.
valisder
Hi, I have been asked to create a mechanical drawing of a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger as part of my course, and have been given some drawings as an example of what mine could look like. I have managed to create drawings on CAD using the example as a target point, however with some of the drawings on the example can't figure out what is actually being shown. I have attached the drawings with their titles that I am confused with, and would greatly appreciate if some would kindly explain what is specifically being shown and point me towards a book or link where I can find out more about them. I have looked in a number of books and couldn't find anything similar to these.

The drawings are of a BEF heat exchanger, however I will be creating an AES heat exchanger. In the drawing titled 'Tube Nest', I know the drawing on the right hand side is of the baffles, however the drawing on the left has me completely confused.

I would ask my academic associate however they usually cut marks if they answer, and I'm really hoping to get good marks on this assignment.

Thanks

Attachments

• Tube Nest 1.pdf
    88.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Drain 1.pdf
    2.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Fittings 1.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Outlet 1.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Tube Nest 1.pdf
    88.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Profile 1.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 312
Engineering news on Phys.org
Drain: Location of liquid drain from bottom of shell.
Profile (top): Locations of shell-side nozzles as if shell were rolled out flat. Appears to correctly depict stightly oval shape.
Profile (bottom): Profile of two large shell-side nozzle necks as if rolled out flat. Will produce saddle shape for welding to shell.
Outlet:Orientation of large shell-side nozzles using the same numbering as on the "Profile" drawing.
Tube Nest (left side): Never seen anything like this. Possibly something to do with the tube-side baffles in the return heads.
Fittings (bottom left): Flange to be welded to the large shell-side nozzle necks.
Fittings (the rest): Probably tube-side baffle pieces. This exchanger appears to have 10 tube-side passes.

Hi,There is a company that manufacture diesel engine charge air coolers, you should try Vestas aircoil A/S in Denmark (www.vestas-aircoil.com)

Maybe they can advise regarding the Shell and Tube desing.

1. What is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

A heat exchanger is a device used to transfer thermal energy between two or more fluids of different temperatures. It works by allowing the two fluids to flow through separate channels, with the warmer fluid transferring its heat to the cooler fluid through a conductive barrier.

2. Why is heat exchanger design important?

Proper heat exchanger design is crucial to ensure efficient heat transfer and minimize energy losses. It also impacts the overall performance and cost of the system, as well as the safety and reliability of the equipment.

3. What are some common types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and finned tube. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. The specific design and size will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the system.

4. How do you identify a heat exchanger design from drawings?

To identify a heat exchanger design from drawings, you will need to look for key features such as the type of heat exchanger, dimensions, material specifications, and flow direction. You may also need to refer to the legend or notes on the drawings for further information.

5. What are some important factors to consider when designing a heat exchanger?

Some important factors to consider when designing a heat exchanger include the fluids being used, the desired heat transfer rate, the temperature and pressure requirements, the available space, and the materials of construction. It is also important to consider factors such as fouling, corrosion, and maintenance requirements.