Heat injection and work during Rankine cycle

In summary, the Rankine cycle consists of four processes, two adiabatic and two isobaric, but the work done during the isobaric processes is ignored. This is because the work done there is simply the work that the steam does to make room for itself. The physical activity that results in work being done is the addition of heat while keeping pressure constant, which causes the volume to increase. However, in the Rankine cycle, most of the heat goes into vaporization or condensation, which is why we say there is no work done during these processes. The open system version of the first law of thermodynamics is also relevant to this discussion.
GwtBc
I have been researching the Rankine cycle. I know that it consists of two adiabatic and two isobaric processes. However, I'm not entirely sure why we ignore the work done during the isobaric processes (this seems to be the case in the analysis I'm looking at). Is that because the work done there is simply the work that the steam does to make room for itself? (and vice versa)

Science news on Phys.org
In these processes heat is just being added or removed at constant pressure . Where is there any physical activity that results in work being done ?

Nidum said:
In these processes heat is just being added or removed at constant pressure . Where is there any physical activity that results in work being done ?
You add heat and pressure is kept constant, i.e. volume increases. That is usually the physical process that results in work being done. But here most of the heat goes into vaporization/condensation. Is this why we say that there is no work done during these processes?

Are you familiar with the open system (control volume) version of the 1st law of thermodynamics?

1. What is the purpose of heat injection and work during a Rankine cycle?

The purpose of heat injection and work during a Rankine cycle is to convert thermal energy into mechanical work. This process is essential in many power plants and engines, as it allows for the production of electricity or mechanical motion.

2. How does heat injection and work occur during a Rankine cycle?

Heat injection occurs in the boiler, where high-pressure liquid water is heated to its boiling point, converting it into high-pressure steam. The steam then expands through the turbine, producing mechanical work. The remaining steam is condensed back into liquid form in the condenser, releasing heat energy, and the cycle repeats.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat injection and work during a Rankine cycle?

The amount of heat injection and work during a Rankine cycle is affected by the pressure and temperature of the heat source, the efficiency of the turbine, and the efficiency of the condenser. Additionally, the type of working fluid used in the cycle can also impact the amount of heat injection and work.

4. What are the advantages of using a Rankine cycle for power generation?

One of the main advantages of using a Rankine cycle is its versatility, as it can use a variety of heat sources, such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear fuel. Additionally, the cycle is relatively simple and has a high efficiency, making it a cost-effective method of power generation.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of a Rankine cycle?

One limitation of the Rankine cycle is its low thermal efficiency compared to other power generation methods, such as combined cycle systems. It also requires a large amount of water for the condensation process, which can be a limitation in areas with water scarcity.