Heat Interactions with Non-Normal Matter

In summary, the discussion revolved around the possible heat interactions of non-normal matter such as dark matter, anti-matter, and strange matter. It was concluded that anti-matter behaves the same as normal matter in regards to heat, while dark matter does not seem to interact through any force other than gravity and therefore does not have the concept of heat applied to it. Strange matter has not been observed to exist, and the possibility of it interacting through the weak force is uncertain. The important quantity in determining heat interactions is the amount of energy transfer, which leads to a specific distribution of temperatures.
danielu13
So I saw another post asking about heat interactions in a vacuum, and it got me to wondering: is there any significant interaction of heat with non-normal matter, such as dark matter, anti-matter, and strange matter. I would assume the heat interaction with anti-matter would be pretty much the same as normal matter, but I'm not sure and have no idea at all about other types of matter.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Antimatter is the same as normal matter in regards to heat. Dark matter has not been observed to interact in any way that could cause heat. It doesn't seem to interact through any force other than gravity, which would not allow it to transfer energy around to other particles, so heat isn't even a concept you could apply to it. Strange matter hasn't been observed to exist at all, unless you count dark matter as strange matter, so we can't say anything about that.

danielu13 said:
So I saw another post asking about heat interactions in a vacuum, and it got me to wondering: is there any significant interaction of heat with non-normal matter, such as dark matter, anti-matter, and strange matter.

Yes. One thing that you learn in thermodynamics is a "cookbook" method for figuring out how weird new manager behaves with heat. Describing that "cookbook" method is something you'll find in Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer.

I would assume the heat interaction with anti-matter would be pretty much the same as normal matter, but I'm not sure and have no idea at all about other types of matter.

The important quantity is to figure out how much energy transfer happens. Once you have significant amounts of energy transfer then things will go to a particular distribution.

Dark matter is interesting because when the universe was young then dark matter was reacting very heavily with the surround matter. As the universe expands, dark matter stops interacting, so it will have the temperature of the moment at which dark matter stopped reacting.

Drakkith said:
Antimatter is the same as normal matter in regards to heat. Dark matter has not been observed to interact in any way that could cause heat. It doesn't seem to interact through any force other than gravity, which would not allow it to transfer energy around to other particles, so heat isn't even a concept you could apply to it. Strange matter hasn't been observed to exist at all, unless you count dark matter as strange matter, so we can't say anything about that.

Couldn't it interact through the weak force, or some equally weak unknown force? It would be hard to tell.

ImaLooser said:
Couldn't it interact through the weak force, or some equally weak unknown force? It would be hard to tell.

We should avoid talking about things that COULD happen unless we have good reason to believe it SHOULD happen. Dark matter may interact with normal matter, but if it does then it does so only very weakly. I don't know if we think it may interact through the weak interaction or not.

Related to Heat Interactions with Non-Normal Matter

What is non-normal matter?

Non-normal matter refers to any type of matter that does not behave in a predictable or expected manner under certain conditions. This can include materials that have unusual thermal properties, such as superconductors or materials that exhibit phase transitions.

How does heat interact with non-normal matter?

The interaction between heat and non-normal matter can vary depending on the specific properties of the material. In general, heat can affect the behavior of non-normal matter by altering its thermal conductivity, causing phase transitions, or inducing other changes in its physical properties.

What are some examples of heat interactions with non-normal matter?

Some examples of heat interactions with non-normal matter include the phenomenon of superconductivity, where materials lose all electrical resistance at extremely low temperatures, and the behavior of materials near their critical points, where small changes in temperature can cause significant changes in their properties.

How does studying heat interactions with non-normal matter benefit society?

Studying heat interactions with non-normal matter can lead to new discoveries and technologies that can have a significant impact on society. For example, the development of superconducting materials has led to advancements in fields such as energy storage and transportation. Additionally, understanding how heat affects non-normal matter can help us better predict and control the behavior of materials in various applications.

What are some challenges in studying heat interactions with non-normal matter?

One of the main challenges in studying heat interactions with non-normal matter is the complexity of these materials. Non-normal matter can exhibit a wide range of behaviors and properties, making it difficult to accurately model and predict how it will interact with heat. Additionally, many non-normal materials require extreme conditions, such as very low temperatures, to exhibit their unique properties, making them challenging to study in a laboratory setting.