Heat pump electricity production

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of heat pumps and how they are more efficient than regular electric radiators in keeping a house warm. The idea of using a thermo-electric generator to gain additional energy from the heat output of a heat pump is also mentioned, but it is noted that this may not be feasible. The conversation also touches on the topic of perpetual motion and how it is not possible in a non-perfect system like the Earth. Finally, the speaker expresses interest in experimenting with refrigerator parts and Stirling engines.
Edi
Greetings. I just want to understand heat pumps. As far as I know - they keep a house warmer than it could be using a regular electric radiator, using the same amount of energy.
I am wondering - if a heat pump outputs, say, 3 kW of heat energy from 1 kW of input electric energy from the grid (or somewhere), making the air (or ground) source colder, of course, it would take only ("only" as in - it is doable) ~40% efficient thermo-electric generator to gain 1.2 kW from that heat, from which 1 kW could be run back into the pump and have a surplus of 0.2 kW
Please, don't sink this thread, as I am not talking about perpetual motion here. (although, perpetual motion is a must in a perfectly sealed system, in a not expanding universe, isn't it? Of course, the Earth isn't a perfect system, but it gains energy from the Sun as it looses energy in space ..)
I would like to mess around with some refrigerator parts and Stirling engines, but both my hands are left, so to say, and I just don't have the resources

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edi said:
Greetings. I just want to understand heat pumps. As far as I know - they keep a house warmer than it could be using a regular electric radiator, using the same amount of energy.
I am wondering - if a heat pump outputs, say, 3 kW of heat energy from 1 kW of input electric energy from the grid (or somewhere), making the air (or ground) source colder, of course, it would take only ("only" as in - it is doable) ~40% efficient thermo-electric generator to gain 1.2 kW from that heat, from which 1 kW could be run back into the pump and have a surplus of 0.2 kW
Please, don't sink this thread, as I am not talking about perpetual motion here. (although, perpetual motion is a must in a perfectly sealed system, in a not expanding universe, isn't it? Of course, the Earth isn't a perfect system, but it gains energy from the Sun as it looses energy in space ..)
I would like to mess around with some refrigerator parts and Stirling engines, but both my hands are left, so to say, and I just don't have the resources

What do you mean by saying that a "heat pump outputs 3kW from 1kW input electric energy"? Do you have a reference for that?

Edi said:
I am not talking about perpetual motion here
Yes, you are, this is a PMM of the second kind. Discussions of PMM's are against the rules.

What you describe is not "doable". To confirm you should fix the temperature of your cold reservoir and calculate the hot reservoir temperature required to get an ideal heat pump with a COP of 3. Then calculate the efficiency of an ideal heat engine between those same two temperatures.

Last edited:

1. How does a heat pump produce electricity?

A heat pump does not produce electricity directly. Instead, it uses electricity to transfer heat from one location to another, typically from a colder area to a warmer area. This process can be reversed to provide cooling as well.

2. What is the efficiency of a heat pump in producing electricity?

The efficiency of a heat pump in producing electricity depends on the type of heat pump and the source of the heat. Air-source heat pumps typically have an efficiency of 200-300%, meaning they can produce 2-3 units of heat for every 1 unit of electricity used. Ground-source heat pumps can have even higher efficiencies, up to 600%.

3. Can a heat pump be used to power an entire house or building?

Yes, a heat pump can be used as the primary heating and cooling system for a house or building. However, the size and type of heat pump needed will depend on the size and energy needs of the structure.

4. What are the environmental benefits of using a heat pump for electricity production?

Compared to traditional fossil fuel sources of electricity, heat pumps produce significantly lower carbon emissions. They also do not require burning fuel, reducing air pollution and promoting cleaner air. Additionally, heat pumps can be powered by renewable energy sources such as solar or wind, further reducing their environmental impact.

5. Are there any limitations to using a heat pump for electricity production?

Heat pumps are more efficient in moderate climates and may struggle to produce enough heat in extremely cold temperatures. They also require a relatively large amount of space for installation, and the initial cost may be higher than traditional heating and cooling systems. However, the long-term energy savings can offset these limitations.