Electric Heater vs Heat Pump: Efficiency for Heating Water to High Temperatures

ATT55
I want to heat 10kg of water from 20C to 80C-90C with the lowest power consumption.
One option I consider is to use an electric heater and the other option is to use a heat pump.

Are heat pumps common for such an application?

The calculated power consumption of the electric heater is 0.7 kW*hr.
What will the power consumption the heat pump, if the COP is 2?
Is it 0.7/2=0.35 kW*hr?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ATT55 said:
I want to heat 10kg of water from 20C to 80C-90C with the lowest power consumption.
One option I consider is to use an electric heater and the other option is to use a heat pump.

The calculated power consumption of the electric heater is 0.7 kW*hr.
Is it 0.7/2=0.35 kW*hr?
Your calculation is correct, but....your application as described is not common so it's tough to say if heat pumps are common for it or not. Air to water heat pumps are becoming more common for domestic water heating and distributed hot water space heating. But 80-90C is above the typical limits of such products. 80-90C is in the range for typical hot water space heating, but such systems can be designed for lower.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
ATT55 said:
With the output temperature not constant, constant COP just does not feels realistic.
This thing will be nothing simple.

Rive said:
With the output temperature not constant, constant COP just does not feels realistic.
This thing will be nothing simple.
I interpreted the values as a hypothetical average efficiency and range of acceptable output temperatures.

Welcome to PF.

ATT55 said:
Not common.
Solar preheating is more likely, but it could be done with a heat pump.

Please tell us what climate do you have? Or identify a nearby city.
If it is raining and just above freezing, a heat pump will be a poor investment. One limitation on a heat pump for heating water is when the heat exchanger freezes. Then, a heating element outside in the heat exchanger is used to melt that ice.

ATT55 said:
How often will you do that ?
Use radiant solar preheating if possible.
Alternatively, use solar PV, to power the water heater.

Baluncore said:
How often will you do that ?
Use radiant solar preheating if possible.
Alternatively, use solar PV, to power the water heater.
I do it constantly, I think solar preheating/PV will be too complicated for my application.

i saw this article: High temperature heat pumps and it seems that are few models who can do it, all with COP of ~3-4. Is it an exotic equipment?

For example:
Friotherm Unitop 22/22
Dürr Thermeco2 HHR1000
Kobelco SGH 120/165

ATT55 said:
I do it constantly, I think solar preheating/PV will be too complicated for my application.
That doesn't match your original post. How often, exactly? Is that 10kg per minute? Hour? Day? And is this for heating or bathing (80C is too hot for bathing...). Or an industrial process?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's exotic, just not common at least in the US. I have seen more in Europe but have no actual experience there.

Likes ATT55
Hmmm. I know that heat pump water heaters are starting to roll out in the US at production rates, but as others have mentioned, they’re lower temperature systems. 80-90*C is awfully hot water.

What’s the use case for this water? Because that may have a very important impact on the efficiency of the system.

If we’re talking about strictly using vapor cycle heat pumps, might be worth looking at a two-stage system? And if in a colder climate, the aforementioned icing problem can be offset by a geothermal loop anywhere there’s a reasonably shallow frost line.

Likes russ_watters, ATT55 and berkeman

1. Which is more efficient for heating water to high temperatures, electric heaters or heat pumps?

Heat pumps are generally more energy-efficient than electric heaters when it comes to heating water, especially at moderate temperatures. However, their efficiency can decrease as the target temperature increases. Electric heaters convert almost 100% of the electrical energy into heat, making them more efficient at reaching higher temperatures quickly and effectively.

2. How do heat pumps work compared to electric heaters?

Heat pumps transfer heat from one place to another using a refrigeration cycle, similar to how air conditioners work. They are most efficient when they move heat rather than generate it. Conversely, electric heaters generate heat directly through electrical resistance, or in more advanced models, through electromagnetic induction.

3. What are the cost implications of using an electric heater versus a heat pump for high-temperature applications?

Initially, heat pumps tend to have a higher installation cost compared to electric heaters. However, the operational costs of heat pumps are generally lower due to their higher efficiency, particularly in mild to moderate climates and for moderate water temperatures. For very high temperatures, electric heaters might be more cost-effective despite their higher operational costs due to their less complex installation and maintenance requirements.

4. Are there environmental benefits to choosing one over the other?

Heat pumps are often considered more environmentally friendly compared to electric heaters because they use less electricity by transferring heat instead of generating it. This can significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions if the electricity is sourced from fossil fuels. However, the environmental impact also depends on the source of electricity and the specific design and efficiency of the device.

5. Which system is better for residential versus commercial applications?

For residential applications, heat pumps are typically preferred due to their energy efficiency and lower operating costs over time. They are suitable for both heating and cooling, making them versatile for home use. In commercial settings, the choice depends on the specific heating needs. Electric heaters might be more suitable for applications requiring high temperatures, such as in certain industrial processes, whereas heat pumps might be more effective for general building heating due to their efficiency at moderate temperatures.