Heat Q flows spontaneously from a reservoir at

• Thread starter copitlory8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the problem involves heat transfer between two reservoirs, one at 383K and the other at 234K, with an unknown temperature T in between. The Carnot engine operates between the two reservoirs and has an efficiency that is based on the temperatures of the two reservoirs. The Carnot efficiency is compared to the efficiency of a regular heat engine. Due to a spontaneous flow of heat, 30% of Q is rendered unavailable for work. By comparing the two efficiency formulas, it can be determined that the unknown temperature T is between 383K and 284K.
copitlory8
Heat Q flows spontaneously from a reservoir at 383 K into a reservoir that has a lower temperature T. Because of the spontaneous flow, thirty percent of Q is rendered unavailable for work when a Carnot engine operates between the reservoir at temperature T and a reservoir at 234 K. Find the temperature T.

The initial temperature is 383K. I have no idea what this problem is about because my teacher didnot cover the material. Please help me with the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the Cutnell and Johnson text aren't you? I used to teach with that and I remember this problem specifically stumped nearly all of my students. I am still not 100% certain as to what the guy meant to say when he wrote the problem. Here's my interpretation:

Look in the text for "Carnot Efficiency." That would be the efficiency of the best possible heat engine, one that had no friction at all. It's an efficiency based on temperatures of the two reservoirs. Compare Carnot efficiency to regular heat engine efficiency (write them out side by side), and notice what ratios are equal to each other

The unknown temperature T is in between 383K and 284K. Plug these into the carnot efficiency formula. You can get the efficiency here, but you won't need it.

OK, "unfortunately there was a spontaneous flow of heat to an intermediate reservoir, before it got to the machine, lowering Qhot by 30 %."

Go back to the comparison of the two efficiency formulas. Look at the two ratios that are similar. If Qhot is 30% less, what else ...

I just lead you to the front door. Go in ...

umm. i not really sure where to go

What is the definition of heat Q flow?

Heat Q flow is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference.

What is a reservoir in terms of heat Q flow?

A reservoir is a large body of material or substance that can provide or absorb an unlimited amount of heat without changing its own temperature.

What does it mean for heat Q to flow spontaneously?

When heat Q flows spontaneously, it means that it occurs naturally without the need for external forces or energy.

What factors affect the rate of heat Q flow?

The rate of heat Q flow is affected by the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area and distance between the objects.

How is the direction of heat Q flow determined?

The direction of heat Q flow is determined by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat always flows from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.