Heat Transfer and Combustion Homework

• Engineering
  • Thread starter MaisieMitchell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat transfer
MaisieMitchell
Homework Statement
The outer surface of the insulation on a horizontal steam pipe has a radius of 50mm and is at a temperature of 90Deg C. The atmospheric air surrounding the pipe is at a temperature of 14 Deg C, and has the property values listed in part (c) above. Estimate the rate of heat loss by natural convection to the atmosphere by each metre length of pipe.

Only require help with part (D).
Relevant Equations
Nu = 0.53Gr^0.25Pr^0.25
Q3.png
Q3.1.png

Does this working out look okay? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• When air has the values listed below.png
    When air has the values listed below.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 34
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to check your arithmetic. I assume you used consistent units so that the dimensionless groups actually came out dimensionless..

I don't see any part D here. I assume part D requires you to calculate the heat transfer rate per meter of pipe, given the heat transfer coefficient, the pipe diameter, and the temperature difference. Let's see your equations for doing this.

Likes MaisieMitchell
Correct part D is the question sorry - Estimate the rate of heat loss by natural convection to the atmosphere by each metre length of pipe.

The equation for doing this is

Q=hA(DeltaT)

therefore..

Q=h(2Pi*rL)(DeltaT)

Q=1.34*(90-14/0.1)^0.25
*0.1*Pi * 1 * (90-14)

Q = 167.9855 w/m

MaisieMitchell said:
Correct part D is the question sorry - Estimate the rate of heat loss by natural convection to the atmosphere by each metre length of pipe.

The equation for doing this is

Q=hA(DeltaT)

therefore..

Q=h(2Pi*rL)(DeltaT)

Q=1.34*(90-14/0.1)^0.25
*0.1*Pi * 1 * (90-14)

Q = 167.9855 w/m
Based on the heat transfer coefficient you calculated in part C, I get about the same result.

Likes MaisieMitchell
Thanks, when you say about the same result - is there something that I have missed?

MaisieMitchell said:
Thanks, when you say about the same result - is there something that I have missed?
I don't think so (other than roundoff). I get 167.1

Likes MaisieMitchell
Thanks again!

Likes berkeman

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of transferring thermal energy from one object or substance to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a substance reacts with oxygen to produce heat and light. This reaction typically involves the release of energy in the form of heat and light.

3. How is heat transfer related to combustion?

Heat transfer is an important factor in the process of combustion. The heat generated during combustion is transferred to the surrounding environment through convection and radiation. In addition, heat transfer is also involved in the preheating of fuel and air before combustion occurs.

4. What are the different types of heat transfer?

The three main types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How is heat transfer and combustion used in everyday life?

Heat transfer and combustion play a crucial role in our daily lives. For example, the heat transfer process is used in cooking, heating our homes, and even in the cooling of electronic devices. Combustion is also used in various ways, such as in the engines of cars and planes, in power plants to generate electricity, and in the production of heat for cooking and heating.