Explain what is meant by an 'overall heat transfer coefficient

In summary, the overall heat transfer coefficient, also known as U-value, is a measure of how heat is transferred between two surfaces at different temperatures, taking into account all forms of heat transfer. It is calculated by dividing the total heat transfer rate by the temperature difference and is expressed in watts per square meter per Kelvin. This information is important for designing efficient heating and cooling systems and calculating energy usage and costs. A higher overall heat transfer coefficient means better energy efficiency, so efforts are made to minimize it by altering material properties and system design.
Tiberious

Homework Statement

(I) Explain what is meant by an 'overall heat transfer coefficient'.
(II) Explain what is meant by fouling and what its effect will be on the value of the overall heat transfer coefficient. 

Homework Equations

None provided.

The Attempt at a Solution

(I) The overall heat transfer coefficient (U) refers to the ‘overall’ heat transfer either by conduction or convection through a series of materials/layers. This is expressed by the equation:

Q = UA(T_2-T_1)
(II)Fouling references the formation of impurities; solidified process liquids and corrosion on surfaces over time. This extra layer of resistance has an adverse effect to the overall heat transfer coefficient. In some instances this newly formed fouling layer can become the largest resistance to heat transfer.

The above seem to be very short answers, but, they seem to answer the questions directly. Any advise ? I don't want to write volumes if not necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiberious said:
(I) The overall heat transfer coefficient (U) refers to the ‘overall’ heat transfer either by conduction or convection through a series of materials/layers. This is expressed by the equation:
Q = UA(T_2-T_1)

That's the equation for the heat flow. I think for a fuller answer it might be worth adding an equation like...

1/UT = 1/U1 + 1/U2 + 1/U3 …… 1/UN

where UT is the overall heat transfer coefficient and UN is the heat transfer coefficient of layer N.

(II)Fouling references the formation of impurities; solidified process liquids and corrosion on surfaces over time. This extra layer of resistance has an adverse effect to the overall heat transfer coefficient. In some instances this newly formed fouling layer can become the largest resistance to heat transfer.

The above seem to be very short answers, but, they seem to answer the questions directly. Any advise ? I don't want to write volumes if not necessary.

That's ok, but if I was picky I would say...

Fouling is the formation of a unwanted layer of impurities, solidified process liquids, or corrosion products on the surface of a heat exchanger. The thermal resistance of this layer increases the overall heat transfer coefficient and has an adverse effect on heat flow through the surface of the heat exchanger. In some instances this fouling layer can become the largest resistance to heat transfer.

Edit: Just noticed the OP was two weeks ago.

1. What is an overall heat transfer coefficient?

An overall heat transfer coefficient (U-value) is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between two surfaces at different temperatures. It takes into account all forms of heat transfer, including conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How is the overall heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The overall heat transfer coefficient is calculated by dividing the total heat transfer rate by the temperature difference between the two surfaces. It is expressed in units of watts per square meter per Kelvin (W/m2K).

3. Why is the overall heat transfer coefficient important?

The overall heat transfer coefficient is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how much heat is being transferred between two surfaces. This information is crucial in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, as well as in calculating energy usage and costs.

4. How does the overall heat transfer coefficient impact energy efficiency?

The higher the overall heat transfer coefficient, the better the energy efficiency of a system. A higher U-value means that less energy is required to maintain a desired temperature difference between the two surfaces. This is why it is important to minimize the overall heat transfer coefficient in order to reduce energy consumption.

5. Can the overall heat transfer coefficient be changed?

Yes, the overall heat transfer coefficient can be changed by altering the properties of the materials or the design of the system. For example, using insulation or increasing the surface area can decrease the overall heat transfer coefficient, leading to improved energy efficiency.