Find the temperature change of a person struck by lightning

In summary, a lightning flash releases about 1010J of electrical energy. If this energy is added to 50 kg of water at 37∘C, the final state and temperature of the water can be found using the equations Q = mCΔT and Q = mL. The resulting ΔT is equal to 1*10^5 ∘C.
dashortkid

Homework Statement

A lightning flash releases about 1010J of electrical energy.

If all this energy is added to 50 kg of water (the amount of water in a 165-lb person) at 37∘C, what are the final state and temperature of the water? The specific heat of water is 4180 J/kg⋅∘C, heat of vaporization at the boiling temperature for water is 2.256×106J/kg, the specific heat of steam is 1970 J/kg⋅∘C

Find ΔT in ∘C

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q - W
Q = mCΔT
Q = mL

The Attempt at a Solution

I found
Qwater = (50kg)(4180J/kg⋅∘C)(100-37) = 1.13167⋅10^7 J
Qphase change to steam = (50kg)(2.256×106J/kg) = 1.128⋅10^8 J
Qtotal = 1.13167⋅10^7 J + 1.128⋅10^8 J = 1.25967⋅10^8 J

I'm not sure what to do with the energy from the lightning strike in order to find the total change in temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't figure out how to delete this thread, but I found out I didn't need any of that information or calculations. using Q=mCΔT > ΔT=Qlightning/Cm = 1*10^5 ∘C

What is the average temperature change of a person struck by lightning?

The average temperature change of a person struck by lightning is approximately 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This drastic increase in temperature is caused by the intense heat produced by the electrical current passing through the body.

Can a person survive being struck by lightning?

Yes, it is possible for a person to survive being struck by lightning. However, the chances of survival are low and the person may experience long-term physical and neurological effects.

What factors can affect the temperature change of a person struck by lightning?

The temperature change of a person struck by lightning can be affected by various factors such as the intensity of the lightning strike, the duration of contact with the electrical current, and the person's overall health and physical condition.

How quickly does the temperature change occur in a person struck by lightning?

The temperature change in a person struck by lightning can occur within a fraction of a second. This rapid change in temperature can cause immediate damage to the body's tissues and organs.

What are the potential health consequences of being struck by lightning?

Being struck by lightning can have serious health consequences including cardiac arrest, respiratory problems, neurological damage, and permanent disabilities. It is important for survivors to seek medical attention immediately after a lightning strike.