Heat transfer through brass and rubber

In summary, the temperature at the 0 °C brass plate will be 20 °C higher than the temperature at the 100 °C brass plate.
max1995

Homework Statement

Two identical brass plates, each 0.5 cm thick, are separated by a rubber spacer of thickness 0.1 cm which has the same cross sectional area. If the outer surfaces of the brass plates are kept at 0 °C and 100 °C respectively, calculate the temperature at each side of the rubber spacer given that the thermal conductivity of brass is 500 times bigger than that of rubber.

Homework Equations

I used dQ/dt= -KA*(change in temperature/distance traveled)
k is thermal conductivity of material

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the rate of heat transfer is the same through the whole thing. K of brass is = to 500K of rubber
and the heat transfer goes from the 100 side to the 0 side.

so I made 3 equations

first one (for 100 degree brass to first side of rubber)

dQ/dt= -500kA*(T2-100/0.5x10-2)

Second (for change in temperature over rubber (side one to side two

dQ/dt= -kA*(T3-T2/0.1x10-2)

third (second side of rubber to 0 degree brass)

dQ/dt= -500kA*(0-T3/0.5x10-2)I put 2 of the equations equal to each other but get silly numbers when I solve them (maybe the equations are wrong? or I am solving them wrong?)

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for the 3 temperature differences in terms of dQ/dt , and then add them up.

1. How does heat transfer through brass and rubber work?

Heat transfer through brass and rubber occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two materials, such as when a hot object touches a cooler one. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water, which carry heat away from the source. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, which can travel through empty space.

2. Which material, brass or rubber, is better at conducting heat?

Brass is a better conductor of heat than rubber. This is because brass is a metal, which means it has a higher density and more free electrons that can transfer heat energy. Rubber, on the other hand, is an insulator and does not allow heat to pass through easily. This is why rubber is often used to insulate and protect against heat, such as in oven mitts or hot water bottles.

3. How do the thermal properties of brass and rubber affect heat transfer?

The thermal properties of materials, such as their density, specific heat, and thermal conductivity, play a significant role in heat transfer. Brass has a high thermal conductivity, meaning it is able to transfer heat quickly and efficiently. Rubber, on the other hand, has a low thermal conductivity and is better at trapping heat. This is why brass is often used in applications where heat needs to be transferred, while rubber is used to insulate against heat.

4. Does the thickness of brass or rubber affect heat transfer?

Yes, the thickness of a material can affect its ability to transfer heat. Thicker materials have a higher thermal resistance, meaning it takes more time for heat to pass through them. This is why a thicker brass or rubber object will take longer to heat up or cool down compared to a thinner one. Additionally, a thicker material may also have a larger surface area, which can affect heat transfer through convection and radiation.

5. How can heat transfer through brass and rubber be controlled or manipulated?

There are several ways to control or manipulate heat transfer through brass and rubber. For example, the use of insulation, such as adding rubber or other insulating materials, can reduce heat transfer. Changing the thickness or surface area of the materials can also affect heat transfer. Additionally, manipulating the temperature difference between the two materials can also impact heat transfer. Other factors that can influence heat transfer include the type of environment (e.g. air or water) and the presence of external forces, such as wind or pressure.