Heat, Work, Change in Entropy and Energy

Delta H## is not the change in entropy. It is the change in enthalpy. Entropy has the symbol S.I would have done the other part this way:$$W=-P\Delta V=-(4)(101.3)(-5.3752)=+2178 J$$$$\Delta (PV)=-2178 J$$$$\Delta H=\Delta E+\Delta (PV)$$so$$\Delta E=\Delta H-\Delta (PV)=-10140-(-2178)=-10140+2178=-7962 J$$In summary, the task was to calculate the values of q, w, ΔE, and ΔH for
ScreamingIntoTheVoid

Homework Statement

Calculate q, w, ∆E, and ∆H for the process in which 93.0 g of nitrous oxide gas (N2O) is cooled from 179°C to 55°C at a constant pressure of 4.00 atm.

Cp(N2O) = 38.70 J K-1 mol-1

Homework Equations

q= mCΔT
ΔH=n(Cp)=n(qv)ΔT
ΔE=q+w
w= -pΔV
*Probably something else too but I'm drawing a blank

The Attempt at a Solution

q= (93.0g)(38.70 K-1Mol-1)(-124°C) → -446288.4
w= -(4 atm) (101.3) (?) = ? *not 0 though*
ΔE=-446288.4+w=?
ΔH= (2.113 moles)(-446288.4)(-124°C)= A really big and incorrect number

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your calculation of q, the units are incorrect. The grams and moles don't cancel.

From the ideal gas law, what is the initial volume? What is the final volume?

Your equation for ##\Delta H## is incorrect.

Chestermiller said:
In your calculation of q, the units are incorrect. The grams and moles don't cancel.

From the ideal gas law, what is the initial volume? What is the final volume?

Your equation for ##\Delta H## is incorrect.
Ok, in that case, q=nCp delta T -> (2.113 moles)(38.70)(-124) = -10139.8644 J
For the volumes I used pv=nRT, in which I calculated 19.55... for V1 and 14.175..., leaving the difference to be approximately 5.3752...
w= p delta V -> (4 x 101.3) (5.3752 L)= 2178.033824 J. Since work was put into the system to compress it, work is positive right?
Delta E= 2178.033824 + -10139.8644 J= -7961.830576 J?

Is any of that correct?
What formula should I use for Entropy instead?

ScreamingIntoTheVoid said:
Ok, in that case, q=nCp delta T -> (2.113 moles)(38.70)(-124) = -10139.8644 J
Correct. This is also equal to ##\Delta H##
For the volumes I used pv=nRT, in which I calculated 19.55... for V1 and 14.175..., leaving the difference to be approximately 5.3752...
Correct
w= p delta V -> (4 x 101.3) (5.3752 L)= 2178.033824 J. Since work was put into the system to compress it, work is positive right?
Correct
Delta E= 2178.033824 + -10139.8644 J= -7961.830576 J?
Correct, although I don't like how you "wild assed" this.

What formula should I use for Entropy instead?
Instead of what? What equations do you know for calculating the change in entropy for an ideal gas?

Likes ScreamingIntoTheVoid
Chestermiller said:
Correct. This is also equal to ##\Delta H##

Correct

Correct

Correct, although I don't like how you "wild assed" this.Instead of what? What equations do you know for calculating the change in entropy for an ideal gas?
The one I put above was the one I had in my notes. DeltaH= qp was also in there, but I looked over it I suppose.

"Wild assed ay? Is there a better way to calculate this to ensure accuracy (I have a midterm tomorrow).

THANK YOU very much!

ScreamingIntoTheVoid said:
The one I put above was the one I had in my notes. DeltaH= qp was also in there, but I looked over it I suppose.

"Wild assed ay? Is there a better way to calculate this to ensure accuracy (I have a midterm tomorrow).

THANK YOU very much!
##\Delta H## is not the change in entropy. It is the change in enthalpy. Entropy has the symbol S.

I would have done the other part this way:

$$W=-P\Delta V=-(4)(101.3)(-5.3752)=+2178 J$$

$$\Delta (PV)=-2178 J$$

$$\Delta H=\Delta E+\Delta (PV)$$
so
$$\Delta E=\Delta H-\Delta (PV)=-10140-(-2178)=-10140+2178=-7962 J$$

Likes ScreamingIntoTheVoid

1. What is heat and how does it relate to energy?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is a measure of the total kinetic energy of the particles within an object. Heat can be converted into other forms of energy, such as mechanical or electrical energy.

2. How is work related to heat and energy?

Work is the transfer of energy that results in a change in the state or motion of an object. In the context of heat, work can be done by or on a system during a change in temperature, which can result in a transfer of heat energy. Work and heat are both forms of energy and can be converted into one another.

3. What is the change in entropy and why is it important?

The change in entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is an important concept in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the direction and extent of energy transfers and transformations. The change in entropy of a system can be positive (increase in disorder) or negative (decrease in disorder).

4. How is energy conserved in thermodynamic processes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. In thermodynamic processes, energy may change forms, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

5. Can heat flow from a colder object to a hotter object?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, heat can only flow from a hotter object to a colder object. This is because heat naturally moves from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature. It is not possible for heat to spontaneously transfer from a colder object to a hotter object without the input of external energy.