Heating an aluminum strut in a truss (Feyman Lectures of Physics 2.10)

In summary: A and B, joined by the bungee AB) do the points X and Y stay together or do they move apart?In summary, the conversation discusses the downward movement of a system after applying heat to the AB member. The expert suggests identifying the rigid bodies in the structure and considering the change in angles of the triangles. The expert also clarifies that the force within member AB can only be tension or compression. The conversation also explores the effects of separating points X and Y in the structure.
new90
Homework Statement
The truss is made of light aluminium struts pivoted at each end.At C is a roller which rolls on a smooth plste.Whe a workman heats up member AB with a welding torch it is observed to increase in length by an amount x and the load is thereby moved vertically an amount y
A)Is the motion of W upward or downward
B)What is the force F in the member AB (Including the sense i.e.,tension or compression)
Relevant Equations
no equation
A)W goes downward because before AB gets heat up the system was in equilibrium hen after getting heat up the Force that AB produce makes the roller moves to the right and that makes the whole system go down
B)I don't know what it means I know that this can mean the forces that the member Ab is apllying or the forces that are being appliend in member AB(I thnik is the second option)

2.10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know how long you are expected to take solving this.
To do the proper analysis will take some time.

There may be a way to answer A with a simple argument, as you have tried, but I don't find the argument you offer at all convincing. And B will definitely take some equations, so might as well do A that way too.

First step is to identify the parts of the structure which are effectively rigid bodies as AB changes length. This will allow you to represent it with a simpler structure.

• Informative
Likes new90 and berkeman
haruspex said:
First step is to identify the parts of the structure which are effectively rigid bodies as AB changes length. This will allow you to represent it with a simpler structure.

Listen to @haruspex! Do this. If the lengths of the sides of a triangle do not change neither can their angles. Which triangles change? Which ones stay the same? Color the rigid ones in and see if this doesn’t become more obvious.

• Informative
Likes new90
new90 said:
B)What is the force F in the member AB (Including the sense i.e.,tension or compression)
B)I don't know what it means I know that this can mean the forces that the member Ab is apllying or the forces that are being appliend in member AB(I thnik is the second option)

Since the problem shows no numbers or dimensions, the answer to question B can't be a number.
The force within member AB is only one, that aluminum strut can only be tensioned or compressed (pivoted at each end, as stated).

If rather than inducing thermal dilatation with a torch, the workman of our problem would decide cutting off member AB with a hacksaw, would nodes A and B get closer or farther from each other as the structure fails?
What that relative movement would tell you about the type of load or force that the member is "feeling"?

• Informative
Likes new90
when you aid fails you means go down right?

the one colored is the only triangle that change
2.10.png

Last edited:
new90 said:
when you aid fails you means go down right?
A structure fails or collapses under load when it stops doing its job.
The job of this structure is preventing the mass W from falling down.
That is not the only possible case, it could be a failing member of a hydraulic press, for example.

• Informative
Likes new90
new90 said:
the one colored is the only triangle that change
Member AB is a common side to two triangles, therefore, at least two must change angles.

Likes new90
new90 said:
the one colored is the only triangle that changeView attachment 260843

Not quite. If you change the length of AB isn’t it one of the sides of TWO triangles?

Likes Lnewqban and new90
so 4 angles are cheanged

new90 said:
so 4 angles are cheanged
Six. :smile:
Is our man done cutting that member in half?

Likes new90
oh yes sorry

new90 said:
oh yes sorry
Call those triangles ABX, ABY. If AB gets longer what happens to the distance XY?

Likes new90 and Lnewqban
it increse

new90 said:
it increse

Hmmm ... I’m not entirely sure what you are saying increases. Do you mean the height of the mass, or one of the angles?

new90 said:
it increse

@haruspex asked:
Call those triangles ABX, ABY. If AB gets longer what happens to the distance XY?

1587668790824.png

Ahhh ... I see. Thanks, @TSny

new90 said:
it increse

AY is not changing length. BY is not changing length. Neither are AX or BX. Are you sure than when you separate A and B the distance between X and Y will increase? Suppose you have this contraption made of rigid bars AX, BX, AY, and BY with hinges at all the vertices. AB is a bungee. Imagine going to the extreme. What if you pulled A and B very far apart. What happens to X an Y?

new90 said:
it increse
Model it with your hands. Put your thumb tips together as point X, your fingertips together as point Y, and the joints at the bases of your thumbs as A and B. As you move A and B together and apart, what happens to XY?

Likes TSny
i think what happens is that when is enlongated that X is rater but y decreases

new90 said:
i think what happens is that when is enlongated that X is rater but y decreases
"Rater"? "Greater"?
X and Y are points, they cannot increase or decrease. What happens to the distance XY?

XY are together ?

new90 said:
Im not sure
Did you try it out with your hands, like I suggested?
As you flex the joints at the bases of your thumbs, when they get further apart do your fingertips get closer to your thumbtips or further away?

Likes new90
I do that and what I see is that when Y increase X decrease

I think I will try it tommorrow but thanks

new90 said:
I do that and what I see is that when Y increase X decrease
I'll say it again: X and Y are points. They cannot increase or decrease.

In the hand model, AB is the distance between the joints at the bases of your thumbs, and XY is the distance between your fingertips and your thumbtips.
As you increase the distance between your thumb bases, the distance from your fingertips to your thumbtips decreases, right?

yes that's what i was trying to say

new90 said:
yes that's what i was trying to say
Ok. So what about the second part?
I assume you know the principle of virtual work.

1. How does heating an aluminum strut affect its strength?

Heating an aluminum strut in a truss can cause it to lose its strength. This is because heating the aluminum causes its atoms to vibrate more, which can disrupt the orderly arrangement of atoms and weaken the material's structure.

2. Can heating an aluminum strut cause it to break?

Yes, heating an aluminum strut can cause it to break. As mentioned before, heating can weaken the material's structure, making it more susceptible to breaking under stress or pressure.

3. Why does heating an aluminum strut affect its strength?

Heating an aluminum strut affects its strength because it causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, which can disrupt the bonds between them. This leads to a weaker overall structure.

4. Is there a specific temperature at which heating an aluminum strut will cause it to lose its strength?

There is no specific temperature at which heating an aluminum strut will cause it to lose its strength. The exact temperature at which this will occur depends on various factors such as the material's composition, the amount of heat applied, and the duration of heating.

5. Can heating an aluminum strut be beneficial in any way?

Yes, heating an aluminum strut can be beneficial in some cases. For example, in the construction industry, heating can be used to shape and mold aluminum struts into desired shapes. However, it is important to carefully control the amount of heat applied to avoid weakening the material's strength.