Heats of reaction equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: J/mole.In summary, to calculate the energy released in the decomposition of nitroglycerine, we need to use Hess's law and the given heats of formation of CO2, H2O, and C3H5N3O9. By adding and manipulating the equations, we can cancel out the common compounds and calculate the energy released. I hope this helps you with your question.Best regards,[Your Name]
markosheehan
hello
I am stuck on this question
The decomposition of nitroglycerine is given by the following

2C3H5N3O9 = 6CO2 + 5H2O + 3N2 + 1/2O2

using the following heats of formation, determine the energy released in the decomposition of of nitroglycerine.

heats of formation of CO2(g), and H2O(l), C3H5N3O9 are -393, 242 and -364 kJ/mole, respectively

I am using hesses law to try and work this out
I multiply the heat of formation equation of Co2 by 6 and reverse it and multiply the heat of formation equation of H2O by 5.

I multiply the heat of formation equation of C3H5N3O9 by 2 and reverse it aswell.

when I do all of this a lot of the compounds cancel but I am left with 5/2 o2 on the left hand side of the final equation which can not be there

Attachments

• WIN_20180823_00_26_33_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180823_00_26_33_Pro.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 54
  • WIN_20180823_00_26_31_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180823_00_26_31_Pro.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I can help you with your question about the decomposition of nitroglycerine.

Firstly, you are correct in using Hess's law to determine the energy released in the decomposition of nitroglycerine. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculations. Let me walk you through the steps:

1. Start by writing the given equation for the decomposition of nitroglycerine: 2C3H5N3O9 = 6CO2 + 5H2O + 3N2 + 1/2O2.

2. Next, write the equation for the formation of CO2: C + O2 = CO2. We need to multiply this equation by 6 and reverse it to match the number of CO2 molecules in the decomposition equation. This gives us: 6CO2 = 6C + 6O2.

3. Similarly, write the equation for the formation of H2O: H2 + 1/2O2 = H2O. Multiply this equation by 5 and reverse it to match the number of H2O molecules in the decomposition equation. This gives us: 5H2O = 5H2 + 5/2O2.

4. Finally, write the equation for the formation of C3H5N3O9: 3C + 5H2 + 3N2 + 9/2O2 = C3H5N3O9. Multiply this equation by 2 and reverse it to match the number of C3H5N3O9 molecules in the decomposition equation. This gives us: 2C3H5N3O9 = 6C + 10H2 + 6N2 + 9O2.

5. Now, add all the equations together to cancel out the common compounds on both sides. This gives us the final equation: 2C3H5N3O9 = 6CO2 + 5H2O + 3N2 + 1/2O2.

6. To calculate the energy released in the decomposition of nitroglycerine, we need to use the given heats of formation. Substitute the values in the final equation, and we get: ΔH = (6 x -393) + (5 x -242) + (3 x 0) +

1. What is a heats of reaction equation?

A heats of reaction equation is a mathematical representation of the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It shows the relationship between the reactants and products in terms of energy.

2. How is a heats of reaction equation calculated?

A heats of reaction equation is calculated by subtracting the total energy of the reactants from the total energy of the products. This difference is known as the change in enthalpy (ΔH) and is expressed in units of energy per mole (kJ/mol).

3. What factors affect the value of a heats of reaction equation?

The value of a heats of reaction equation is affected by the types of bonds broken and formed during the reaction, the temperature and pressure at which the reaction occurs, and the physical state (solid, liquid, or gas) of the reactants and products.

4. Why is a heats of reaction equation important?

A heats of reaction equation is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It also allows us to predict the direction and extent of a reaction, and can be used to design and optimize industrial processes.

5. How is a heats of reaction equation used in real-world applications?

A heats of reaction equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the production of fuels and chemicals, the design of batteries and fuel cells, and the development of pharmaceuticals. It is also used in environmental studies to understand the impact of chemical reactions on the Earth's climate.