Heavy atoms in black hole jets.

In summary: The APOD article specifically mentioned nickel. Nickel is heavier than iron and therefore cannot be produced by normal fission. The cores of companion stars should not contain nickel either. So, perhaps the particle accelerator analogy to the accretion disk is the best guess.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
A recent APOD page discussed jets ejected from black holes. It said, "Recent evidence indicates that these jets are composed not only electrons and protons, but also the nuclei of heavy elements such as iron and nickel."

What is thought to be the mechanism of production of these heavy nuclei?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The jets they are referring to are from the collapse of the cores of massive stars. The cores of these massive stars are composed primarily of heavy iron-group elements that were built over time from nuclear fusion of hydrogen and helium during the life of the star. Try looking up stellar nucleosynthesis.

The APOD page is not talking about a supernova event. Rather talks about about accretion disks in binary systems as the source of the jet material.

Chances are good its something they ate. Black holes are not yet proven to synthesize heavy nuclei, but that is certainly a possibility. The accretion disk of black holes [which is the obvious source of particles in jets] is basically a particle accelerator on steroids. Synthesis of heavy nuclei is easily achieved on Earth using particle accelerators. Alternatively, it could merely be burping the core of some hapless star it had shredded. See http://kipac.stanford.edu/kipac/tidbits2012/?GRMHD2a for discussion.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Chances are good its something they ate. Black holes are not yet proven to synthesize heavy nuclei, but that is certainly a possibility. The accretion disk of black holes [which is the obvious source of particles in jets] is basically a particle accelerator on steroids. Synthesis of heavy nuclei is easily achieved on Earth using particle accelerators. Alternatively, it could merely be burping the core of some hapless star it had shredded. See http://kipac.stanford.edu/kipac/tidbits2012/?GRMHD2a for discussion.

Yes. Please ignore my earlier post. I thought they were talking about jets from core collapse supernovae, which is not the case here. In addition to what you mentioned, could the densities and temperatures in black hole accretion disks be high enough for nuclear fusion to occur?

I didn't know that about particle accelerators.

The APOD article specifically mentioned nickel. Nickel is heavier than iron and therefore cannot be produced by normal fission. The cores of companion stars should not contain nickel either.

So, perhaps the particle accelerator analogy to the accretion disk is the best guess. I've always been taught that supernova remnants are the only source of elements heavier than iron, which is why the article about the BH jets caught my eye because it could mean a second mechanism.

In terms of abundance of elements heavier than iron, such as in our solar system, would it be correct to say that the abundance of heavy elements formed in BH jets would be tiny compared to those ejected from supernovas? The jets do continue churning out stuff for billions of years.

That's a good question, phyzguy. I would say no, but, with certain caveats. Accelerator synthesized nuclei are indistinguishable from those forged by stellar processes. Stellar fusion is gravity assisted, and accelerator synthesis only requires high input energy. In the end, its not actually clear there is any real difference between the tow, you just need a whole bunch of kinetic energy, and the resulting nuclei are utterly indifferent to its source. A sort of 'tomato, tomato' thing.

Actually, anorlunda, nickel 56 is readily produced by massive stars. Only heavier isotopes require supernova production. The production rate of heavy nuclei in accretion disks has not been quantified to my knowledge, which is understandable considering their presence in BH jets is a recent discovery. The potential for nickel 56 production in an accretion disk is discussed in this paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.2673.

This is my first post on here. It is a Black Hole question but not sure if this is the right place.
Bomb me if not acceptable.

Most artist impressions of Black Holes, show them double ended.
NASA and others photos of Black Holes usually show the Galaxy facing you and the Black Hole in the centre.
I cannot find any actual photographs, showing an indication of two ended Black Holes.
Are there such things, and if so, do both ends act in the same way.

If I have posted wrongly, could you tell me where I should post.
Thank you.

1. What are heavy atoms in black hole jets?

Heavy atoms in black hole jets are atoms that contain a large number of protons and neutrons in their nuclei, making them heavier than lighter atoms such as hydrogen and helium. These atoms are often found in the jets of matter that shoot out from black holes.

2. How are heavy atoms formed in black hole jets?

Heavy atoms in black hole jets are believed to be formed through a process known as nucleosynthesis. This occurs when the intense heat and pressure in the vicinity of a black hole causes lighter atoms to fuse together, creating heavier atoms.

3. Why are heavy atoms important in studying black hole jets?

Heavy atoms in black hole jets can provide valuable insights into the physics of these powerful objects. Their presence and abundance can reveal information about the conditions in the vicinity of the black hole, such as the temperature, density, and magnetic fields.

4. Are heavy atoms in black hole jets dangerous?

No, heavy atoms in black hole jets are not dangerous to us on Earth. These jets are located far away in space and do not pose any direct threat. However, the powerful radiation emitted by black hole jets can affect the surrounding environment and other celestial objects.

5. Can heavy atoms in black hole jets be used for any practical applications?

At this time, there are no known practical applications for heavy atoms in black hole jets. However, studying these atoms and their behavior can lead to a better understanding of the universe and potentially contribute to advancements in technology and energy production.