Hecke Operators and Eigenfunctions, Fourier coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the action of ##T_2## on ##M_k(\Gamma_{0}(N)) ## and shows that ##\theta^4(n)+16F ## and ##F(t)## are both eigenfunctions. The Hecke Operators ##T_p## are defined and it is noted that for this question, ##b_n=a_{2n}##. The solution is then discussed and it is mentioned that there may be an error in the definition of ##T_p f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nq^n ##. The speaker is still stuck on the problem and is seeking help.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Consider the action of ##T_2## acting on ##M_k(\Gamma_{0}(N)) ##, and show that ##\theta^4(n)+16F ## and ##F(t)## are both eigenfunctions.

Functions are given by:
whattheheck.png

Homework Equations

For the Hecke Operators ##T_p## acting on ##M_k(\Gamma_{0}(N)) ##, the Hecke conguence subgroup of ##M_k (SL_2(Z)) ## , the coefficients are given as the same as acting on (SL_2(Z)) if ##p## does not divide the level ##N## ##b_n=a_{pn}+p^{k-1}a_{n/p} ## but ##b_n=a_{pn}## if ##p## does divide ##N##.

Where ## T_p f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nq^n ## and ## f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n q^n ##
For this question ##2## does divide ##4## and so we are using: ##b_n=a_{2n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have ##b_0 = a_0 ##
## b_1= a_2##
##b_2=a_4##
##b_4=a_6##

solution here:
heckesol.png
heckesol.png

I agree that ## T_2 \theta^4(t)= \theta^4(t)+16F(t)## from ##b_0 ## and ##b_1## since ##b_0=a_0 ## is given by ##a_0 ## of ##\theta^4(t) ## since ##f(t)## only has odd coefficients. similarly ##b_1=a_2##= the first coeffieicnt of ##\theta^4(t)## + 16 * the first coefficient of ##F(t) ##.

However can not see how this can be true for any even ##n >2 ##. (Since ##F(t)## has only odd ##n## contributions.

Let me use the result that the ##r_4(n)## are given by ## 8 \Omega_1(n)## for ##n## odd and ##24 \sigma_1(n_0) ## for ##n_0## the odd divisors of ##n##. So I get ##r_4(4)=24(3+1)=96=a_4## and so since ## T_2 \theta^4(t)= \theta^4(t)+16F(t) => b_2 = a_4 ##. But now since ##F(t)## only has odd coefficients, this implies that ##a_2 = b_2=a_4 ## which of course it isn't.

Am i doing something really stupid?
Many thanks

Attachments

• whattheheck.png
    whattheheck.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 678
  • heckesol.png
    heckesol.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Consider the action of ##T_2## acting on ##M_k(\Gamma_{0}(N)) ##, and show that ##\theta^4(n)+16F ## and ##F(t)## are both eigenfunctions.

Functions are given by:View attachment 224651

Homework Equations

For the Hecke Operators ##T_p## acting on ##M_k(\Gamma_{0}(N)) ##, the Hecke conguence subgroup of ##M_k (SL_2(Z)) ## , the coefficients are given as the same as acting on (SL_2(Z)) if ##p## does not divide the level ##N## ##b_n=a_{pn}+p^{k-1}a_{n/p} ## but ##b_n=a_{pn}## if ##p## does divide ##N##.

Where ## T_p f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nq^n ## and ## f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n q^n ##
For this question ##2## does divide ##4## and so we are using: ##b_n=a_{2n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have ##b_0 = a_0 ##
## b_1= a_2##
##b_2=a_4##
##b_4=a_6##

solution here: View attachment 224652View attachment 224652

I agree that ## T_2 \theta^4(t)= \theta^4(t)+16F(t)## from ##b_0 ## and ##b_1## since ##b_0=a_0 ## is given by ##a_0 ## of ##\theta^4(t) ## since ##f(t)## only has odd coefficients. similarly ##b_1=a_2##= the first coeffieicnt of ##\theta^4(t)## + 16 * the first coefficient of ##F(t) ##.

However can not see how this can be true for any even ##n >2 ##. (Since ##F(t)## has only odd ##n## contributions.

Let me use the result that the ##r_4(n)## are given by ## 8 \Omega_1(n)## for ##n## odd and ##24 \sigma_1(n_0) ## for ##n_0## the odd divisors of ##n##. So I get ##r_4(4)=24(3+1)=96=a_4## and so since ## T_2 \theta^4(t)= \theta^4(t)+16F(t) => b_2 = a_4 ##. But now since ##F(t)## only has odd coefficients, this implies that ##a_2 = b_2=a_4 ## which of course it isn't.

Am i doing something really stupid?
Many thanks

Apolgies I have made a typo in the OP where it reads ## T_p f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nq^n ## , it should read ## T_p f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=0}b_nq^n ## ,

I am still stuck on this so any help much appreciated, thanks

1. What are Hecke Operators?

Hecke Operators are a fundamental tool in the study of modular forms and automorphic forms. They are linear operators that act on the space of modular forms, transforming one modular form into another.

2. What are Eigenfunctions in relation to Hecke Operators?

Eigenfunctions are a special type of function that satisfy a specific equation when acted upon by a linear operator, such as Hecke Operators. In the context of modular forms, eigenfunctions are functions that are invariant under the action of Hecke Operators.

3. What is the significance of Fourier coefficients in the study of Hecke Operators and Eigenfunctions?

Fourier coefficients are the coefficients that appear in the Fourier expansion of a modular form. They provide information about the behavior of a modular form under the action of Hecke Operators, and can be used to determine the eigenvalues of these operators.

4. How are Hecke Operators used to construct new modular forms?

Hecke Operators can be used to construct new modular forms by acting on existing modular forms with these operators. This process allows for the creation of new, more complicated modular forms from simpler ones.

5. Are Hecke Operators and Eigenfunctions only applicable to modular forms?

No, while Hecke Operators and Eigenfunctions are most commonly studied in the context of modular forms, they have applications in other areas of mathematics as well. For example, Hecke Operators can be used in the study of elliptic curves and L-functions.