Height of edge of billiard table

In summary, the desired height for the edge of the billiard table to prevent undesirable pressures and slips of the ball is at least equal to the radius of the balls. However, it is recommended to have the height slightly higher for safety purposes, with the initial contact height between 61% and 64% of the ball's height according to a reference.
SlowerPhoton

Homework Statement

Consider a billiard table with balls of radius r. How high should be the edge of the table to not allow undesirable pressures (and thus slips of the ball)? I.e. if there was no gravity, the billiard ball would still bounce off parallelly to the table plane.

However I do not even understand what exactly it says. Please be easy on me, the last I've taken a class on physics was on high school.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer would be r because otherwise I can see forces that push the ball off the table (in the upward direction). But that seems like a too easy answer for a calculus class.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the height must be r or higher or the balls would fly off the table all the time. And you should have it a little higher to be on the safe side. Here is a reference that shows the height of initial contact to be between 61% and 64% of the height of the ball ( between .61*2*r and .64*2*r ) https://www.pooltablefeltcloth.com/cushion-height-guide-for-k-66-k-55.html

1. What is the standard height of the edge of a billiard table?

The standard height of the edge of a billiard table is typically between 29-31 inches (74-79 cm).

2. Why is the height of the edge important in billiards?

The height of the edge is important in billiards as it determines the bounce of the balls and the overall playability of the game. If the edge is too high, the balls may not bounce off properly and if it is too low, the balls may roll off the table.

3. How is the height of the edge measured?

The height of the edge is measured from the ground to the top of the cushion rail, which is the raised edge surrounding the playing surface of the table.

4. Can the height of the edge be adjusted?

Yes, the height of the edge can be adjusted by adjusting the legs of the table. Most billiard tables come with adjustable legs to ensure proper playing height.

5. Are there any regulations for the height of the edge in professional billiards?

Yes, the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) has set a standard height range of 29-31 inches (74-79 cm) for the edge of a billiard table in professional tournaments.