What is the initial deceleration of the impala?

In summary, on a hot day at the racetrack, Dale Earnhardt's Chevy Impala (m = 1600 kg) experiences a blown gasket while speeding at 200 mph (89 m/s). The car is shifted to neutral and coasts towards the pit lane, with a drag coefficient of .330 and frontal area of 2.76 m^2. Using the equation F_d = (1/2)C\rho Av^2, the initial deceleration of the Impala can be calculated to be 2.72 m/s^2.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

On a particularly hot day at the racetrack, Dale Earnhardt's famous no. 88 Chevy impala (m = 1600 kg ) speeding at 200 mph (89 m/s) blows a gasket and the engine begins to deaccelerate.

The car is shifted to neutral and coasts toward the pit lane. Neglecting all sources of friction and assuming the drag coeffecient is .330 and the cars frontal area = 2.76 m^2, what is the initial deacceleration of the Impala? report answer to three sig figs.

Homework Equations

[itex] F_d = (1/2)C\rho Av^2 [/itex]
where C = drag constant, rho = density, A = surface area, v = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't have a big OP to write, I'll just use this thread for asking questions on this problem since one thing confused me from the start:

How am I suppose to find density?

I set up a diagram showing all of the forces, and I have Fg and Fn. It says the car was speeding at 89 m/s, I am pretty sure this means its a constant speed, which means acceleration was 0. So there is no force pointing in the + x direction. There is a drag force in the - direction though, which makes sense because it's slowing down.

How am I suppose to find the (de)acceleration though if I'm not given the density? I don't know any possible way I would be able to calculate the density of the car..

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind guys. I found the density at the front page on my book -_-. I got the right answer which was 2.72 m/s^2

1. What is the initial deceleration of the impala?

The initial deceleration of an impala depends on various factors such as its speed, weight, and the force applied to it. However, on average, impalas can decelerate from a speed of 60 miles per hour to a complete stop in about 3 seconds.

2. How is the initial deceleration of an impala measured?

The initial deceleration of an impala can be measured using a speedometer and a stopwatch. The speedometer measures the initial speed of the impala, while the stopwatch is used to measure the time it takes for the impala to come to a complete stop.

3. What factors affect the initial deceleration of an impala?

The initial deceleration of an impala is affected by its speed, weight, and the force applied to it. Other factors such as the terrain, weather conditions, and the impala's physical condition can also have an impact on its deceleration.

4. How does an impala's deceleration compare to other animals?

An impala's initial deceleration is relatively fast compared to other animals of similar size. For example, a human can decelerate from a speed of 60 miles per hour to a complete stop in about 9 seconds, while an impala can do it in just 3 seconds.

5. Can the initial deceleration of an impala be improved?

The initial deceleration of an impala is a natural physical ability that it has developed over time. While it cannot be improved, proper training and conditioning can help an impala maintain its fast deceleration abilities and improve its overall performance.