Helicopter Winch - Rope Arranger About Rotating Cylinder

In summary, the speaker is an aeronautical engineering student seeking ideas for a group mechanical design project to create a helicopter winch/hoist. The requirements include a length of at least 150ft, a maximum load of 350kg at a rate of 3ft/sec, and a safety coefficient of n=3. The winch will only be used when the helicopter is stationary. The main goal is to find the best designs or ideas for a winch rope arranger to prevent overlapping of the cable. The speaker has some ideas but is also open to simpler solutions and links to existing patents.
Idan Eliash
hi,

i am an aeronautical engineer student in need of some ideas for my groups mechanical design project. our project is to design a helicopter winch/hoist that meets the following requirements:
1. is atleast 150ft long
2. max 350kg load at a rate of 3ft/sec
3. (deeper into design) has a safety coefficient of n=3 (currently less relevant)
4. the winch will be used only when helicopter is static

my main goal as of now is to find the best designs/ideas for a winch rope arranger (anti-overlap - so the cable doesn't overlap itself unless forced to do so).

i have a few ideas in my head but there could be simpler ones out there. i'd appreciate some ideas or maybe links to existing patents. thanks :)
HS-20200-hoist-20121212-02-450x413.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Idan Eliash said:
hi,

i am an aeronautical engineer student in need of some ideas for my groups mechanical design project. our project is to design a helicopter winch/hoist that meets the following requirements:
1. is atleast 150ft long
2. max 350kg load at a rate of 3ft/sec
3. (deeper into design) has a safety coefficient of n=3 (currently less relevant)
4. the winch will be used only when helicopter is static

my main goal as of now is to find the best designs/ideas for a winch rope arranger (anti-overlap - so the cable doesn't overlap itself unless forced to do so).

i have a few ideas in my head but there could be simpler ones out there. i'd appreciate some ideas or maybe links to existing patents. thanks :)
View attachment 97760
Welcome to the PF.

We prefer to hear your ideas first, before offering any suggestions. What have you found so far in your research into how it is currently done? What are your ideas for the project? :smile:

1. What is a helicopter winch?

A helicopter winch is a mechanical device attached to a helicopter that is used to lift and lower objects or people. It typically consists of a rotating drum or cylinder that winds and unwinds a long rope or cable.

2. How does a helicopter winch work?

A helicopter winch works by using a motor to rotate the drum or cylinder, which pulls or releases the rope or cable. The rope is typically attached to a hook or harness, allowing it to lift or lower objects or people. The winch operator controls the speed and direction of the winch using a control panel in the helicopter cockpit.

3. What is the purpose of a rope arranger in a helicopter winch?

A rope arranger is a mechanism that guides the rope onto the drum or cylinder in a neat and orderly manner, preventing tangles or knots. This ensures that the winch can operate smoothly and efficiently, without any interruptions or malfunctions.

4. How does the rotating cylinder in a helicopter winch help with lifting and lowering objects?

The rotating cylinder in a helicopter winch is responsible for winding and unwinding the rope or cable, which is attached to the object being lifted or lowered. As the cylinder rotates, the rope is either pulled in or released, allowing for precise control of the object's movement. The winch operator can adjust the speed and direction of the cylinder to safely and accurately lift or lower the object.

5. What are some common applications of a helicopter winch?

Helicopter winches are commonly used in search and rescue operations, construction, and military operations. They are also used in the transportation of heavy equipment or materials to remote or inaccessible locations, such as oil rigs or mountainous areas. Additionally, helicopter winches can be used for aerial firefighting, emergency medical services, and disaster relief efforts.