Are Helios Quantum 5 binoculars worth the investment?

• Thread starter and7barton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation is about purchasing binoculars and comparing the Helios Quantum 5 and the Lunt APO 16x70. The main concern is a review stating that the view through the eyepieces of the Quantum 5 seems distant, but it is suggested to take this with a grain of salt. There is also discussion about magnification, weight, and portability. The decision is made to go with the Lunt instrument, and it is reported to have excellent performance. However, there is an issue with the x80 eyepieces not focusing on infinity.
and7barton
I was about to purchase a pair of Quantum 5 binoculars, when I read this in a review -

"Strangely, the view through the eyepieces seemed distant, as if we were looking down a short tunnel".
This was a rather concerning observation to make !
These binoculars were reviewed using the supplied x20 eyepieces ( 20x100 ) - Perhaps someone could advise me... with lower magnifications, would this worrying effect disappear ?
Also, it's a toss-up between the Quantum 5's and the Lunt, APO 16x70's - The Lunt seems to be generally a better quality, but I have until now been favouring those extra objective millimetres. Does anyone have any views on the comparative quality of those two instruments ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
and7barton said:
I was about to purchase a pair of Quantum 5 binoculars, when I read this in a review -

"Strangely, the view through the eyepieces seemed distant, as if we were looking down a short tunnel".

If you haven't read this in any other review, I'd treat it with a grain of salt. It could be that the person wasn't that familiar with binoculars or observing.

and7barton said:
Also, it's a toss-up between the Quantum 5's and the Lunt, APO 16x70's - The Lunt seems to be generally a better quality, but I have until now been favouring those extra objective millimetres. Does anyone have any views on the comparative quality of those two instruments ?

The Helios will indeed give you brighter images, but the Lunt pair will give you a wider field of view. (Field of view is 2.53 degrees for the Helios and 4.1 degrees for the Lunt) From your question regarding lower magnification I'm guessing you're not too concerned with high magnification viewing?

Is weight and portability a factor for you? The helios are MUCH heavier than the Lunt, coming in at 15.4 pounds compared to 4.24 pounds. Personally I'd go for the Lunt pair. They are less than half the price of the Helios and much more portable. If you want something for high magnification or really deep sky viewing I'd spend the money for a telescope instead of binoculars. You can get apertures MUCH larger than 100 mm for the same price as the Helios.

20x is mighty big magnification for a binocular, most seasoned bino viewers would suggest nothing high than 10x without a tripod - which kinda defeats the purpose of a bino.- hand held convenience.

I have a massive single-pillar mounting with a cradle that will accept these large binoculars so the weight isn't an issue. I've had in the past an 8 inch reflector and later, a 10 inch. I was never too happy with the awkwardness of certain viewing angles and the single-eye viewing meant I couldn't view comfortably for very long. although both these scopes were mounted on a massive Charles Frank equatorial mounting, the vibration issue was never too marvellous. I decided on trying large binoculars this time around as they are probably better for prolonged viewing sessions. The Helios set is only around £ 10 dearer than the Lunt. It's the 100mm size, not the 110mm.
I'm still pondering the choice. that 30mm difference in aperture might give it an advantage if it's a genuine 100mm as advertised, and not stopped down due to less than marvellous lenses.
I also need to get confirmation that standard telescope eyepieces will fit the quantum 5 - I understand that the Quantum 6 has non-standard eyepieces. I already have a collection of standard eyepieces that I'd like to use which of course has some bearing on my decision.

Last edited:
I can't vouch for quality, but the 100 mm Helios should give you brighter images at the same or slightly higher magnification than the Lunt. If you want to view targets with both eyes with as much aperture as possible, I'd say go the Helios.

Drakkith said:
I can't vouch for quality, but the 100 mm Helios should give you brighter images at the same or slightly higher magnification than the Lunt. If you want to view targets with both eyes with as much aperture as possible, I'd say go the Helios.
After a well-known store told me that their experience of the Helios binoculars was "Not positive", I decided to go for the Lunt instrument. I've had it just over a week now. The performance is superlative. It showed setting Jupiter as a nice disc through a hazy sky at x80 though my cradle mounting is a little shaky at this magnification. A new heavy duty tripod should shortly cure this nuisance. I'm hoping we'll get a decent view of the bands, given a clear sky and a more favourable position at a later date.

Likes davenn and Drakkith
you should be easily seeing the moons of Jupiter as well

davenn said:
you should be easily seeing the moons of Jupiter as well
Yes ! - Unfortunately, Jupiter isn't favourably positioned at the moment. It's very low in the Western sky at dusk. I've seen several of Jupiter's moons with ordinary 10x50 hand-held binoculars in the past so I'm hoping for impressive results.

Those are some massive binos, hope you enjoy them.

Thanks - I've discovered though, an issue with a pair of x80 eyepieces - They won't focus on infinity. Screwed right in, they hit the end stops and are still blurred. Focussed on a nearer object they give incredible detail but there's a scarcity of astronomical objects 300 yards away. I can't see a way around this other than try a different brand. I'm still building a big steel mounting at the moment.

1. What is the magnification power of Helios Quantum 5 binoculars?

The Helios Quantum 5 binoculars have a magnification power of 10x, which means objects appear 10 times closer than they actually are.

2. Are Helios Quantum 5 binoculars waterproof and fogproof?

Yes, these binoculars have a waterproof and fogproof design, making them suitable for use in various weather conditions and environments.

3. What is the field of view of Helios Quantum 5 binoculars?

The field of view of these binoculars is 105m/1000m, providing a wide and clear view of your subject.

4. Do Helios Quantum 5 binoculars have image stabilization?

No, these binoculars do not have image stabilization technology. However, they have a lightweight and ergonomic design, making them easy to hold steady while viewing.

5. Are Helios Quantum 5 binoculars suitable for glasses wearers?

Yes, these binoculars have an adjustable eye relief that allows glasses wearers to comfortably use them without removing their glasses.