Helium balloon and simple harmonic motion

In summary, a light balloon filled with helium and with a density of 0.180kg/m^3 is tied to a light string of length L=3.00m, forming an "inverted" simple pendulum. When released, the balloon executes simple harmonic motion due to the restoring force of the tension in the string. The period of the motion can be found using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the string.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A light baloon filled wiht helium and with a density of 0.180kg/m^3 is tied to a light string of length L= 3.00m. The string is tied to the ground, forming an "inverted" simple pendulum. The balloon is displaced slightly from it's equillibrium position, as shown in picture.
a) show that the balloon executes simple harmonic motion when it is released, i.e., show that the restoring force is a Hooke's law force.

b) What is the period of the motion?

Ignore energy lost due to air friction and take the density of air to be 1.29kg/m^3
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9724/58435914sp1.th.jpg

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) show that the balloon executes simple harmonic motion when it is released, i.e., show that the restoring force is a Hooke's law force.

not sure how to prove this and how it should look if I do prove it when I do.
in the beginning position a):

balloon has:
buoyant force: up
gravity: down
tension: down

position b:
balloon
buoyant force: up
gravity: down?
tension: at an angle

forces on balloon
[tex]\Sum F= B-mg -T= 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Sum F'= B-mg- Tsin \theta [/tex]

I really don't know... do I combine them??

b) period of the motion

don't know how to find this as well...

please help me on this.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(B-mg) is a constant force directed upwards. This must be balanced by the vertical component of the tension in the rope: T cos(theta). The horizontal component of the
tension in the rope is your restoring force.

For small values of theta you can replace cos(theta) by 1 and sin(theta) by theta
(if theta is in radians).

kamerling said:
(B-mg) is a constant force directed upwards. This must be balanced by the vertical component of the tension in the rope: T cos(theta). The horizontal component of the
tension in the rope is your restoring force.

For small values of theta you can replace cos(theta) by 1 and sin(theta) by theta
(if theta is in radians).

Um isn't it supposed to be Tsin(theta) for the restoring force?

so it would be

subtract them

[tex]-B+mg+T= 0[/tex]
[tex]B-mg-Tsin \theta[/tex]

I'm not sure how do I know it's simple harmonic motion.

and how do I find part b)
The period of the motion? using the density they gave?

Last edited:
The restoring force is [itex]Tsin\theta[/itex] and if [itex]theta[/itex] is small and in radians then [itex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex]

So that in the horizontal direction.

[tex]ma= -T\theta[/tex]and the distance it is displaced is given by the length of the arc (x) multiplied by the length,L, i.e. [itex]\theta=xL[/itex]

rock.freak667 said:
The restoring force is [itex]Tsin\theta[/itex] and if [itex]theta[/itex] is small and in radians then [itex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex]

[tex]ma= -T\theta[/tex]

and the distance it is displaced is given by the length of the arc (x) multiplied by the length,L, i.e. [itex]\theta=xL[/itex]

but how would that help in my proving that the balloon undergoes simple harmonic motion?

was what I did above incorrect?

~christina~ said:
but how would that help in my proving that the balloon undergoes simple harmonic motion?

was what I did above incorrect?
Well to show that something undergoes SHM, you need to show that [itex]a=-\omega^2x[/itex] where x=displacement,a=acceleration.

ok..I'm assuming that you were going off what I did before so:

subtract them

[tex]-B+mg+T= 0[/tex]

and including what you said where [tex] sin\theta\aprox \theta[/tex] then

[tex]F_{net}= T-Tsin \theta [/tex]

I know that F= ma however you showed that
rock.freak667 said:
The restoring force is [itex]Tsin\theta[/itex] and if [itex]theta[/itex] is small and in radians then [itex]sin\theta\approx \theta[/itex]

[tex]ma= -T\theta[/tex]

and the distance it is displaced is given by the length of the arc (x) multiplied by the length,L, i.e. [itex]\theta=xL[/itex]

why is it not [tex]ma= T-T\theta [/tex] ?
rock.freak667 said:
Well to show that something undergoes SHM, you need to show that [itex]a=-\omega^2x[/itex] where x=displacement,a=acceleration.

Because the restoring force is given by Tsin. When you split T into its components you must use the components and not the Resultant vector T

rock.freak667 said:
Because the restoring force is given by Tsin. When you split T into its components you must use the components and not the Resultant vector T
ok.. so it cancels out...

I'm assuming that you were going off what I did before so:

subtract them

[tex]-B+mg+T= 0[/tex]

and including what you said where [tex] sin\theta\aprox \theta[/tex] then

[tex]F_{net}= T-Tsin \theta [/tex]

I know that F= ma however you showed that
rock.freak667 said:
The restoring force is [itex]Tsin\theta[/itex] and if [itex]theta[/itex] is small and in radians then [itex]sin\theta\approx \theta[/itex]

[tex]ma= -T\theta[/tex]

[tex]ma= -T\theta [/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
They should really tell us this but they do not and always ask to prove but never tell us what we are looking for...

Oh well I know that [tex]\omega = \sqrt{g} {L} [/tex]

so... [tex]\theta= x L[/tex]

then plugging in..

[tex]ma= -T\theta = ma[/tex]

[tex]ma= -TxL [/tex]

but do I just divide over the m? I'm not sure what that would accomplish for finding
[tex]a= \omega^2x [/tex]

I know that [tex]\omega= \sqrt{g} {L} [/tex] and I'm not sure what relation I can find from this unfortunately.
Is there another one I need to think of to make it equal to having simple harmonic motion?

Thank you

Related to Helium balloon and simple harmonic motion

1. What is a helium balloon?

A helium balloon is a type of balloon that is filled with helium gas, making it lighter than air and causing it to rise and float. It is commonly used for decoration or as a toy.

2. How does a helium balloon exhibit simple harmonic motion?

A helium balloon exhibits simple harmonic motion because as it rises and falls, it experiences a restoring force (gravity) that is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position (the point at which it is neither rising nor falling). This results in the balloon oscillating back and forth in a repetitive pattern.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation of a helium balloon?

The period of oscillation of a helium balloon is affected by the mass of the balloon, the amount of helium gas inside, and the size and shape of the balloon. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the period of oscillation.

4. Can the period of oscillation of a helium balloon be changed?

Yes, the period of oscillation of a helium balloon can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, adding or removing weight from the balloon, or changing the amount of helium gas inside, can change the period of oscillation.

5. Is it possible for a helium balloon to exhibit non-simple harmonic motion?

Yes, it is possible for a helium balloon to exhibit non-simple harmonic motion if external forces, such as air resistance or wind, are significantly impacting its motion. In these cases, the balloon's motion may be more complex and not follow a predictable pattern.