Hell hasn't frozen over, but Lake Erie has (almost)

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary, Lake Erie is known for its warm temperatures and shallow depth, making it less likely to freeze over completely. However, the average temperature for it to freeze over is around 20°F and it has completely frozen over in the past, though it is rare. This can be caused by extended periods of freezing temperatures and can have environmental impacts on the ecosystem and industries that rely on the lake.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
635599365665529507-LAKEERIE.jpg

Lake Erie almost frozen over (USA Today)

Likes Evo
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Heh, when I was in grad school I used to bicycle through there, but never in the winter!

Likes Borg
jtbell said:
Heh, when I was in grad school I used to bicycle through there, but never in the winter!
I knew someone who lived there. Always fun telling him to go to Hell. :woot:

Never done ice fishing, our lakes don't freeze over in Oz

My sister sent this to me today. :oldtongue:

It finally froze over!!.jpg

Likes davenn

1. Why is it surprising that Lake Erie has almost frozen over?

Lake Erie is known for its relatively warm temperatures compared to other Great Lakes. It is also the shallowest of the Great Lakes, making it less likely to freeze over completely.

2. How cold does it have to be for Lake Erie to freeze over?

The average temperature for Lake Erie to freeze over is around 20°F. However, the exact temperature can vary depending on factors such as wind and water currents.

3. Has Lake Erie ever completely frozen over?

Yes, Lake Erie has completely frozen over in the past, but it is a rare occurrence. The last time it happened was in the winter of 2015-2016.

4. What causes Lake Erie to freeze over?

When temperatures drop below freezing for an extended period of time, the surface of the lake can freeze. This can also be influenced by wind patterns and other weather conditions.

5. Does Lake Erie freezing over have any environmental impacts?

Yes, when Lake Erie freezes over, it can impact the ecosystem and wildlife that depend on the lake for survival. It can also affect industries such as fishing and shipping that rely on the lake for transportation and resources.