Hello all, lay-man's question about gas laws

In summary: The bag did not shrink in size when placed in the freezer. It may have shrunk slightly due to the weight of the chips in it.In summary, according to this conversation, the bag of potato chips in a freezer will eventually burst due to the pressure of the gases inside it.
Oobray
Hello all, I have perused this forum for a while now. I've never signed up because I have nothing to offer you folks. I'm not evan an amateur, I'm just interested in physics. I'm a critical care / flight medic, so my understanding of physics is really, really, really limited. Although, I'm highly interested and constantly read and study, and observe. Gas laws area actually something I think about on a pretty regular basis (02 / CO2 diffusion, gas expansion at altitude etc.) However, I observed something today that no amount of googling has given me the answer to. So here it goes...

I am visiting my grandmother who hoards food like no one else I know. She puts everything in the freezer, including her potato chips. In this case it is specifically Ruffles Original potato chips. She placed a NEW unopened bag in the freezer. The bag was normal volume (she lives at about 500 ft elevation) when she put the bag in the freezer. When I went to take it out today the bag looks as if you took it up to 15,000 ft. I have wracked my meager mind about what little I know of gas laws to try and figure this out, but I can't. Everything I know says that gas volume compresses at lower temperature, not expand. What's even more perplexing to me is that it's a PERMANENT change. Meaning, hours after having the unopened bag out of the freezer, it still looks like it's about to burst.

I also wondered if it was something more to do with the bag, however, I don't have an unfrozen bag to compare to. I know, this is probably really elementary but I didn't know where else to turn to. Take it easy on me :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not surprising that if a sealed soft container including gases is put into a fridge it will shrink.
Taken out of the fridge it should eventually resume a slightly pressurised condition exactly as it was before being frozen.
It depends a on what the gas is though, but I doubt that Ruffles chips are packaged with hydrogen.

Last edited:
Yes, it's much more than "slightly pressurized". It's about to burst. And it's not just this one, my grandmother says all potato chips do this in the freezer, not fridge.

Well in principal additional gas could result from food decomposing, but of course the whole idea of freezing it is so it won't do that.
OK, this one has me stumped, anyone else?

That makes me feel a little better. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the material of the bag. Over last few days I put some more chips on there and they're already bloated, except for the tortilla chips. Which of course appear to be in a different material bag. Next step will be to get another bag of chips and see if I can compare them to see if the bag shrunk. Kind of a silly thing to occupy my time with, but I just couldn't figure it out.

The phenomenon is reported in several places on the web, either with chocolate chips or even with zip bags. However I don't have and did not find a reason for it.
Maybe we need to experiment and investigate this phenomenon. :smile:

If there is organic matter in a sealed bag, it's always possible that some living organism is producing gases during respiration. Tins (/cans) of food can 'blow' in the same way. There is no gas-law reason why reducing the temperature would increase the pressure.

1. What are gas laws?

Gas laws are a set of mathematical relationships that describe the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. They help us understand how gases behave and predict their behavior in different situations.

2. What are the different types of gas laws?

There are three main types of gas laws: Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. Boyle's law states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature. Charles's law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant pressure. Gay-Lussac's law states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant volume.

3. How are gas laws used in everyday life?

Gas laws are used in many everyday situations, such as cooking, driving, and weather prediction. Understanding gas laws helps us determine the appropriate amount of heat needed to cook food, the amount of fuel needed to drive a car, and predict how the weather will change based on changes in temperature and pressure.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a combination of all three gas laws (Boyle's, Charles's, and Gay-Lussac's) and is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature. This law is used to calculate the properties of an ideal gas under any conditions.

5. What are the limitations of gas laws?

Gas laws are only applicable to ideal gases, which means they must have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. In real gases, intermolecular forces and volume cannot be ignored, so gas laws may not accurately predict their behavior. Additionally, gas laws assume constant temperature, pressure, and volume, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.