Hello, good people - Flagpole rigidity questions

• Thread starter TameTroll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, the conversation discusses the features of a flag pole that would enable it to withstand strong winds. These features include the string tension, density, and flexibility of the pole. The reasoning behind choosing a high string tension and density is that they would provide more downward force and make it harder for the pole to topple. However, when considering the presence of guy wires, a flexible pole may not be the best option as it can lead to buckling and increased compression.
TameTroll
Hello, good people -- Flagpole rigidity questions

Tis about my finals answers :) I just want to know if I'm right or not.

I was required to determine features of a flag pole that would enable it to withstand strong winds.

Among them are:
*String tension of strings attached to the flag pole. I answered high, naturally.

*Density of the pole. I answered high.

Reasoning: Higher density would equal more weight, so more downward force. Therefore it would need winds of stronger force to topple it.

Flexibility of the pole. I answered high.

Reasoning: If th pole has a high degree of flex, when exposed to strong winds, it will bend at the top, then return to being upright. A rigid pole will lean in its entirety and topple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

TameTroll said:
Tis about my finals answers :) I just want to know if I'm right or not.

I was required to determine features of a flag pole that would enable it to withstand strong winds.

Among them are:
*String tension of strings attached to the flag pole. I answered high, naturally.

*Density of the pole. I answered high.

Reasoning: Higher density would equal more weight, so more downward force. Therefore it would need winds of stronger force to topple it.

Flexibility of the pole. I answered high.

Reasoning: If th pole has a high degree of flex, when exposed to strong winds, it will bend at the top, then return to being upright. A rigid pole will lean in its entirety and topple.

Welcome to the PF.

Was there a diagram that accompanied this question? What strings? Flagpoles do not normally have "guy wires", so what string tension are they referring to?

And density alone does not necessarily imply strength. It's more about density distribution. Can you please post the exact question with any supporting diagrams?

Unfortunately the paper has to be submitted at the end of the exam.

I can try and draw a similar diagram though :)

I assume they mean how much force the string can handle due to wind before snapping.

The question was not specific about density distribution. It just wanted to know whether the density of the pole should be high or low.

I'm guessing the density should be greater at the bottom then?

But assuming the whole pole is made up of the same material, technically wouldn't the density be constant in all regions?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 931

Without guys I would have agreed with flexible, but I feel the presence of guys changes that. All the pole is left to do is to cope with compression, and flexing will make that harder.

haruspex said:
Without guys I would have agreed with flexible, but I feel the presence of guys changes that. All the pole is left to do is to cope with compression, and flexing will make that harder.

Would you mind elaborating, please?

A free-standing pole with horizontal load is subject to tension on the windward side and compression on the leeward. Flexing allows it be oriented less square-on to the wind, reducing the load.
A guyed pole cannot reduce the load that way. Since the guys provide tension, there is increased compression in the pole, maybe compression on all sides now. Flexing will mean buckling, which increases the moment about the flex point. Think of standing on a rubber column. As long as the column stays straight, and just bulges a bit, you may be ok, but once it starts to fold in the middle you're gone.

Related to Hello, good people - Flagpole rigidity questions

1. What is flagpole rigidity?

Flagpole rigidity refers to the stiffness or flexibility of a flagpole. It is a measure of how much the flagpole can bend or sway in response to external forces, such as wind or movement of the ground.

2. How is flagpole rigidity measured?

Flagpole rigidity is typically measured using a tool called a deflection gauge. This gauge is placed on the flagpole and measures the amount of bending or deflection that occurs when a force is applied.

3. What factors affect flagpole rigidity?

The main factors that affect flagpole rigidity include the material and thickness of the flagpole, the height and diameter of the flagpole, and the location and environmental conditions where the flagpole is installed.

4. Why is flagpole rigidity important?

Flagpole rigidity is important because it affects the stability and longevity of the flagpole. A more rigid flagpole will be less likely to bend or break in strong winds, and will also have a longer lifespan compared to a more flexible flagpole.

5. How can flagpole rigidity be improved?

Flagpole rigidity can be improved by selecting a high-quality, sturdy material for the flagpole, such as aluminum or steel. Reinforcing the flagpole with additional supports or using thicker materials can also increase rigidity. Proper installation and maintenance, such as regularly checking for and repairing any damage, can also help maintain flagpole rigidity over time.