Hello's question at Yahoo Answers regarding proving a trigonometric identity

In summary, we are given a trigonometric identity to prove and we use well-known algebraic formulas and trigonometric identities to manipulate the left side to obtain the right side. This includes factoring the numerator and denominator and using the Pythagorean identity. The final result is the desired identity.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Solving Trig Identity?

sin^4x - cos^4x / sin^3x + cos^3x = sinx - cosx / 1 - sinxcosx

please explain the steps to me?

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Hello,

We are given to prove:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}=\frac{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}{1-\sin(x)\cos(x)}\)

Traditionally, we begin with the left side and try to apply well-known algebraic formulas and trigonometric identities to obtain the right side. So let's look at the left side:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}\)

Now, it we factor the numerator as the difference of squares, and the denominator as the sum of cubes, we may write:

i) Difference of squares:

\(\displaystyle a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)\)

ii) Sum of cubes:

\(\displaystyle a^3+b^3=(a+b)\left(a^2-ab+b^2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}=\frac{\left(\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x) \right)\left(\sin^2(x)-\cos^2(x) \right)}{\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)\left(\sin^2(x)-\sin(x)\cos(x)+\cos^2(x) \right)}\)

Applying the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)=1\) we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}=\frac{\sin^2(x)-\cos^2(x)}{\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)\left(1-\sin(x)\cos(x) \right)}\)

Factoring the numerator as the difference of squares, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}=\frac{\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)}{\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)\left(1-\sin(x)\cos(x) \right)}\)

Dividing out common factors, we see:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}= \frac{\cancel{\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)} \left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)}{\cancel{\left(\sin(x)+ \cos(x) \right)}\left(1-\sin(x)\cos(x) \right)}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^4(x)-\cos^4(x)}{\sin^3(x)+\cos^3(x)}=\frac{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}{1-\sin(x)\cos(x)}\)

Shown as desired.

1. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to use the basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to transform one side of the equation into the other side. You can also use trigonometric formulas and identities to simplify the expressions and make them equivalent.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and co-function identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and equations.

3. How do I know which identities to use?

You can determine which identities to use by analyzing the expression and identifying which identities can be applied to simplify it. It may require some trial and error, but with practice, you will become more familiar with the identities and their applications.

4. What are some tips for proving a trigonometric identity?

Some tips for proving a trigonometric identity include starting with the side that is more complex, using multiple identities if necessary, and always checking your work by substituting values into the original equation.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving a trigonometric identity?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when proving a trigonometric identity include forgetting to use parentheses when applying identities, making careless algebraic errors, and not simplifying expressions completely before substituting values.