Write ##5-3i## in the polar form ##re^\left(i\theta\right)##

In summary: But for quadrants II and III, you'd have to add or subtract ##\pi##, that is change the sign of the cosine and sine. For instance if your value was ##-5 + 3i##, that would have the same tangent of (-3/5) but arctan(-3/5) is 180 degrees off.In summary, the student is trying to solve for z using the absolute value of z and sin and cos of the angle between -pi/2 and pi/2. He does not know what to do next because he does not have an algebraic expression for theta.
Mutatis

Homework Statement

Write ##5-3i## in the polar form ##re^\left(i\theta\right)##.

Homework Equations

$$
|z|=\sqrt {a^2+b^2}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I've found the absolute value of ##z##:
$$ |z|=\sqrt {5^2+3^2}=\sqrt {34} $$.
Next, I've found $$ \sin(\theta) = \frac {-3} {\sqrt {34}} \\ \cos(\theta) = \frac {5} {\sqrt {34}}.$$ I don't know what to do next because I haven't found any exact value from these numbers...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mutatis said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$
|z|=\sqrt {a^2+b^2}
$$

$$ |z|=\sqrt {5^2+3^2}=\sqrt {34} $$.Next, I've found $$ \sin(\theta) = \frac {-3} {\sqrt {34}} \\ \cos(\theta) = \frac {5} {\sqrt {34}}.$$ I don't know what to do next because I haven't found any exact value from these numbers...
You may want to use ##\tan(\theta)## to get a simpler expression. One without a radical.

Solve for ##\theta##.

Take care to get ##\theta## into the correct quadrant.

Mutatis said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$
|z|=\sqrt {a^2+b^2}
$$

$$ |z|=\sqrt {5^2+3^2}=\sqrt {34} $$.
Next, I've found $$ \sin(\theta) = \frac {-3} {\sqrt {34}} \\ \cos(\theta) = \frac {5} {\sqrt {34}}.$$ I don't know what to do next because I haven't found any exact value from these numbers...

You should not be bothered by not being able to give an exact "algebraic" value for ##\theta.## Most values of ##\arcsin(u),## ##\arccos(v)## and ##\arctan(w)## do not have nice formulas, even if you have nice formulas for ##u,v,w.## That is why numerical methods are often necessary. You may be able to give a numerical value of ##\theta## to 100 decimal places but never find an "algebraic" formula for it.

Last edited:
I did it the way you told me to. I'd wrote in terms of tg: $$ \tan \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \\ \theta = \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \\ z =\sqrt {34} \left[ \cos \left( \operatorname{arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) + i\sin \left( \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) \right] .$$ If this is right, thank you guys!

That's OK for this problem, but one caveat: For any value, there are two different angles 180 degrees (##\pi## radians) apart with the same tangent. The arctan function will give you the one that is between ##-\pi/2## and ##\pi/2##. Since ##5 - 3i## is in quadrant IV (between ##-\pi/2## and 0), that gives the right value here.

But for quadrants II and III, you'd have to add or subtract ##\pi##, that is change the sign of the cosine and sine. For instance if your value was ##-5 + 3i##, that would have the same tangent of (-3/5) but arctan(-3/5) is 180 degrees off.

Likes Mutatis and scottdave
Mutatis said:
I did it the way you told me to. I'd wrote in terms of tg: $$ \tan \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \\ \theta = \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \\ z =\sqrt {34} \left[ \cos \left( \operatorname{arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) + i\sin \left( \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) \right] .$$ If this is right, thank you guys!

All this last bit is unnecessary. If you regard the polar form as ##z = r (\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)## (as most sources do), then you might as well just type ##5/\sqrt{34}## and ##-3/\sqrt{34}## instead of your ##\cos \arctan (-3/5)## and ##\sin \arctan (-3/5)##; in other words,
$$z = \sqrt{34} \left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{34}} - i \frac{3}{\sqrt{34}} \right)$$ However, if you regard the polar form as ##z = r e^{i \theta}## (as some people do, and your original question asked) then you need to find ##\theta.## In fact, ##\theta = \arctan(-3/5) = ?## some (approximate) numerical value. Substitute that numerical value into ##r e^{i \theta}## and you are done.

BTW: there is no need to write "\operatorname{arctg}..."in LaTeX; writing "\arctan ... " works perfectly well. It seems that LaTeX knows about inverse trig functions, but not about inverse hyperbolic functions such as "arcsinh", etc. In that case you need "\text{arcsinh} ... ", or "\operatorname{arcsinh} ..." if you prefer. (In fact, "operatorname" works better: it produces ##\operatorname{arcsinh} x## instead of the uglier ##\text{arcsinh} x## that "\text{arcsinh} x" produces (unless you deliberately insert a spacer).

Last edited:
Likes Mutatis
Mutatis said:
I did it the way you told me to. I'd wrote in terms of tg: $$ \tan \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) $$
That should be ##\ \tan(\theta) = \dfrac{-3}{5} ~.##
$$ \theta = \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \\ z =\sqrt {34} \left[ \cos \left( \operatorname{arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) + i\sin \left( \operatorname {arctg} \left( \frac {-3} 5 \right) \right) \right] .$$ If this is right, thank you guys!
I thought you wanted to put ##\ 5-3i \ ## in the polar form: ##\ r e^{i\theta} ##.
You have found ##r## and ##\theta##. Plug them in.

So what if ##\theta## is ##\arctan(-3/5) ##.

Likes Mutatis
One other important thing to note - if you do convert the angle to a decimal number, make sure you are in radians mode. When you do ## e^{i\theta} ##, θ needs to be radians.

Likes Mutatis
Mutatis said:

Homework Statement

Hi. The other posters have already shown you how to get to the correct solution. I would just like to suggest that it is always worth drawing a diagram. Especially with complex numbers, it helps to see which quadrant you are in when calculating your arg(z) (as other posters have mentioned). Furthermore, it helps you to keep your working clear.

Hope this little tip helps.

Likes Mutatis and scottdave
Thank you very much!

1. What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is a way of representing a complex number in terms of its distance from the origin (magnitude or modulus) and the angle it makes with the positive real axis (argument or phase).

2. How do you convert a complex number to polar form?

To convert a complex number to polar form, you can use the formula r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument of the complex number.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin in the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

4. How do you find the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle it makes with the positive real axis in the complex plane. It can be found by using the inverse tangent function (tan-1) of the imaginary part divided by the real part of the complex number.

5. Can you represent all complex numbers in polar form?

Yes, all complex numbers can be represented in polar form. However, some complex numbers may have multiple representations in polar form due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions.